SASS Wire Forum

Steven's side by side

Johnny Swan, SASS #50322

Howdy

Is anyone out there still using an old Steven's side by side to compete. Grew up shooting one for birds and rabbits and, thought it might be fun or nostalgic at least to drag one out.

Swan

I have Shot mine in matches for over 10 years ...Both with smokeless and with  Black Powder ...

Mine has 30 inch Barrels ...

Jabez Cowboy

• 2 months later...

I have a pair, a 235 - 12ga., boxlock with hammers and (what I believe is) a 225 - 12 ga. boxlock with hammers.  The 235 is clearly marked "235" on the bottom of the receiver, no marks on the other beyond "J. Stevens A&T Company, Chicopee Falls, Mass.  USA." on the left side of the receiver.  Both have been cut back to 18.5" and appear to be built like tanks.  After a thorough inspection by a qualified gunsmith, I plan on running them with low-recoil smokeless, as both appear to be fluid-steel barrels, unless told otherwise.  While I can appreciate the speed at which many can run a '97;  there is a "flaw" in my character that believes I should be running hammered double guns.  Just for the fun of it.  So, why not drag yours out for nostalgia's sake, even if its only once-in-a-while!

I have a 311 that I reworked the stock on to have an English stock (no pistol grip) but it is not ideal for SASS.  The locking lug that projects into the action from between the barrels gets in the way of quick reloading.  It was a cheap gun in its day, but well built.  Decent starter gun at a low price.   

My neighbor has has a post-1961 production 311C that I will try to talk him out of.
He wants a hotrod computer (I have plenty) and I'd like a 2nd SxS.

This one is in very nice shape with 28" barrels.
I notice the Stevens does not open as wide as the Stoeger.
You have to move the locking lever to both open and close the action.

I came to that conclusion because the Stevens would not close without moving the latch lever.
My Stoeger is smooth and easy, but the Stevens felt like a complete no-go, and I did not want to force it.
The latch mechanism shape is different on Stoeger vs Stevens.

Next time I get some time with it, I will inspect closely to see why it won't latch without using the lever.

Archived