SASS Wire Forum

Your modes of transport in the old west...if you were there

Pat Riot

17 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Being an itinerant trader and freighter, I'd have a wagon with four mules for my wares and as a place to sleep and cart my cooking gear, and a saddle horse for getting around.

Actually, because my business is growing so rapidly, I have six wagons and team, fifteen extra horses if needed and every one of my drivers has his own saddle horse with his own tack and duffle.

I'd probably be workin' for Forty Rod.

20 hours ago, Raylan said:

What no motorcycles? Okay then go for the horse and saddle, so long as the horse is wearing the saddle. 

What's this thing with a rein in each hand.  Everyone I knew tied them together and rode with both in one hand.  When did we become Britishified?

If I had a boat
I'd go out on the ocean
And if I had a pony
I'd ride him on my boat :D

On 9/23/2019 at 5:31 PM, Cypress Sun said:

I know, holes in the radiator tend to render a automobile that a way. At least I would still know how to ride a horse.....always gotta look on the bright side.

If'n  you  shoot  a hole  in a  horse, the radiator  or just about  any other  part, will render it useless  too.

On 9/24/2019 at 8:33 PM, Cowboy Small said:

If'n  you  shoot  a hole  in a  horse, the radiator  or just about  any other  part, will render it useless  too.

True but fuel for a horse or mule is relatively easy to come by. Them new fangled velocipedes not so much. ;)

On 9/23/2019 at 4:32 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Think about this peeps!

With a horse only, how would you carry your groceries home? With a gig/buggy and a horse, you have the best of both worlds and only need one horse..

When I was a kid I worked in a grocery in town.  We had one old man who rode a horse to town every other week.  He'd tie it to a parking meter and drop his dime in, take two or three tote sacks into our store and get whatever he needed.  He tied the tote sack to the saddle in one place or another and when he was done he'd ride down the street to the state-owned and operated liquor store for a bottle rye, then ride back home.

The only times I ever saw him vary that routine was once when he bought a couple of sticks of dynamite to blow some stumps (said he had all else he needed at home), and once when he bought a bunch of cloth for his wife.   I guess she gave him a note of some kind so he'd get the right stuff.

In twenty years I never saw her.

Archived