SASS Wire Forum

Rossi Conversion?

Johnny Crockett 23092

42 minutes ago, Johnny Crockett 23092 said:

Can anyone help with the idea of converting my Interarms Rossi M92 from 45 colt to 44-40 caliber. I understand the barrel change how about other parts? Does fitting a different barrel require a gunsmith's  services? Any advice  would be appreciated!

Fitting a new barrel will definitely require the services of a gunsmith with machining capabilities. At a minimum. head space will have to be set, extractor groove cut, dovetails for the front and rear sights cut, hole that the for the screw that holds the magazine cap drilled...

1 hour ago, Johnny Crockett 23092 said:

Does fitting a different barrel require a gunsmith's  services? 

Yes.

12 minutes ago, Griff said:

And that's about the extent of changes needed.  Check w/Nate Kiowa Jones.

https://stevesgunz.com/ 

1 hour ago, Johnny Crockett 23092 said:

Can anyone help with the idea of converting my Interarms Rossi M92 from 45 colt to 44-40 caliber. I understand the barrel change how about other parts? Does fitting a different barrel require a gunsmith's  services? Any advice  would be appreciated!

Do you have a Rossi replacement barrel? If not you may have a hard time finding one. Particularly if your 45 gun is one of the late models with the ugly bolt safety. Rossi no longer offer 44-40 92's and all the pre-safety 44-40's had a different barrel thread. If you are considering a custom barrel from a blank (about $700) you would be much better off selling your 45 and buying one of my 44-40's

I have converted a number of Uberti 1873 rifles from 45LC to 38-40 and 44-40 by purchasing  replacement barrels from VTI in Connecticut.

They all headspaced within limits and no other modification was needed.

I have not done the same with Rossi/Taurus. But I have replaced a round barrel with an octagon on a Rossi. Same caliber...45LC to 45LC. I found the octagon barrel on Ebay. It fit fine only needed to cut new dovetail for the forarm hanger. No headspace issues.

Contact Steve at Steve's Guns  https://stevesgunz.com/

He is the Guru for what you want to do with a Rossi/Taurus 92 and he might just have the barrel you want.

16 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

How much for the liner and install?

The TJ Enterprises liner was $140.  But it was 28" long to use in a 26" barrel.  Shorter will be less expensive.   The liner was done as a favor by cowboy shooting buddy who had the experience,  drill and chamber reamer. 

5a1c960862090_Marlin189444to44WCFNov2017.jpg.f0a2e0fa1cd411955985934b6dd055d5.jpg

I got a 44WCF barrel from Gun Parts Corp aka Numrich Arms and traded out the 44 Magnum barrel on this pre-safey Marlin 1894. It went well.  Nocked the sights back on and reassembled without a hitch. Even shot right on.  I did take a Dremel tool and opened the bolt face just a little and cut back the hook on the extractor.  But for 45Colt to 44WCF,  you shouldn't have to do that. 

I’m not going to look up all the differences between a 45 and 44-40 but other than relining considerations are:  round extractor (Colt, 512 rim - 44-40, 525 rim) from the magazine, bolt face and case width.  Will definitely have to place a shim under the left cartridge guide.  I converted one of my Rossi’s from 38 Spl to 32-20 with a TJ and that’s all that had to be done.  The extractor between calibers will be the primary issue 

7 minutes ago, Johnny Crockett 23092 said:

Mine is an Interarms pre-safety serial AM009xxx, I saw an"Interarms Era 20" round 44-40 .780 shank" barrel for sale on an auction site. Will this do the trick without too much other expense?

Like this one?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/833672266

Johnny - I looked on the Inernet at Winchester 1992 parts and except for the common stuff - other parts would require custom machining by a competent gunsmith.  Accordingly, save your money buying the barrel and doing the conversion project.  One part I forgot is complete magazine tube  because 44-40 rim diameter is larger than the 45 ... ergo rounds won't fit in 45 tube

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=winchester+1892+parts

2 hours ago, Johnny Crockett 23092 said:

Mine is an Interarms pre-safety serial AM009xxx, I saw an"Interarms Era 20" round 44-40 .780 shank" barrel for sale on an auction site. Will this do the trick without too much other expense?

That would be the barrel you need.

8 hours ago, John Boy said:

I’m not going to look up all the differences between a 45 and 44-40 but other than relining considerations are:  round extractor (Colt, 512 rim - 44-40, 525 rim) from the magazine, bolt face and case width.  Will definitely have to place a shim under the left cartridge guide.  I converted one of my Rossi’s from 38 Spl to 32-20 with a TJ and that’s all that had to be done.  The extractor between calibers will be the primary issue 

Just the opposite. the 44-40 is bigger so the guide may need to be thinned so it will pass through.

2 hours ago, John Boy said:

Johnny - I looked on the Inernet at Winchester 1992 parts and except for the common stuff - other parts would require custom machining by a competent gunsmith.  Accordingly, save your money buying the barrel and doing the conversion project.  One part I forgot is complete magazine tube  because 44-40 rim diameter is larger than the 45 ... ergo rounds won't fit in 45 tube

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=winchester+1892+parts

Rossi uses the same mag tube, Breech bolt, and extractor for both the InterArms era 45lc and the 44-40. 

17 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Reline the existing barrel. 

Relining the Rossi round barrel is more than just drilling the barrel for the liner. This is because the Rossi round barrel OD is fairly small compared to the liner ID. So,  Drilling straight through, the barrel ends up paper thin near the front half. The front 2/3's of the liner should be turned down and the barrel step drilled to match.

1 hour ago, Nate Kiowa Jones #6765 said:

Relining the Rossi round barrel is more than just drilling the barrel for the liner. This is because the Rossi round barrel OD is fairly small compared to the liner ID. So,  Drilling straight through, the barrel ends up paper thin near the front half. The front 2/3's of the liner should be turned down and the barrel step drilled to match.

TJ Enterprises liner is 9/16 vs 5/8 for other brand that is more common but still very little of the old barrel is left. 

504279655_Marlinrelinejobdone1September2018.jpg.52216feb1c3b616b609312ab44e2ff8e.jpg

You can see where the liner cut through the front sight dovetail. Also through the back sight and forend hangar dovetail cuts.   The old barrel becomes a thin candy shell.  

My buddy that relined my Marlin had a 38WCF chamber reamer because he converted a Rossi 92 (probably 44 Magnum) to 38WCF.   I can't remember if it had an octagon or round barrel.

Just the opposite. the 44-40 is bigger so the guide may need to be thinned so it will pass through.

Nate, I believe the issue with the left cartridge guide is: your right: - the case dia on the Colt is 454 plus v 427 plus.  Also the 44-40 rim is 525 v 512 on the Colt, so where the rim cut in the carrier is would have to be enlarged 0.013 otherwise the case would ride on top of carrier.  But major issue with the project is the cartridge stops.  They would have to be custom made because there is no replacement source for them

13 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

TJ Enterprises liner is 9/16 vs 5/8 for other brand that is more common but still very little of the old barrel is left. 

504279655_Marlinrelinejobdone1September2018.jpg.52216feb1c3b616b609312ab44e2ff8e.jpg

You can see where the liner cut through the front sight dovetail. Also through the back sight and forend hangar dovetail cuts.   The old barrel becomes a thin candy shell.  

My buddy that relined my Marlin had a 38WCF chamber reamer because he converted a Rossi 92 (probably 44 Magnum) to 38WCF.   I can't remember if it had an octagon or round barrel.

The Rossi round barrels are too small OD. (.625) for even the 9/16" (.5625").  Bored to 9/16" at the muzzle end, you end up with about a .030" wall thickness. If you hang up while drilling, say at the front sight dovetail you will most likely mangle the barrel. 

4 hours ago, John Boy said:

Nate, I believe the issue with the left cartridge guide is: your right: - the case dia on the Colt is 454 plus v 427 plus.  Also the 44-40 rim is 525 v 512 on the Colt, so where the rim cut in the carrier is would have to be enlarged 0.013 otherwise the case would ride on top of carrier.  But major issue with the project is the cartridge stops.  They would have to be custom made because there is no replacement source for them

Rossi uses the same cart stop for both the 45 and the 44-40. They are just fitted different.

Rossi uses the same cart stop for both the 45 and the 44-40. They are just fitted different.

Thanks Nate -  Johnny's conversion project is looking better & better all the time.  Final recommendation is for him to ship the rifle and the new barrel to do all the work .... to you

Archived