SASS Wire Forum

Lead exposure loading shotshells

Dusty Devil Dale

11 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Is there one single thing about Cowboy Action Shooting that you don’t find fault with? It seems like every aspect of the sport, guns, reloading, stage set up, targets, etc.. is something to complain about. Sheesh!!

Sorry that you see it that way.   If you get to know me personally, you hopefully will realize that your comment is a good ways off-track.  Anonymity is, I believe, a problem here on the Wire.  I'm hoping, if you shoot Ft. Miller, we can meet each other in person.   I'll look forward to it and hope to posse with you, and maybe see one of your carts.   

Obviously my warning here struck a defensive chord with some, who took it as an assault on reloading.  That's quite a stretch.  Actually, it's fine with me if you or others disagree with me.   In fact, I sincerely hope you are correct in this case.  But don't put words in my mouth.  I made no vestige of any complaint about any aspect of the sport. 

DDD

5 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Sorry that you see it that way.   If you get to know me personally, you hopefully will realize that your comment is a good ways off-track.  Anonymity is, I believe, a problem here on the Wire.  I'm hoping, if you shoot Ft. Miller, we can meet each other in person.   I'll look forward to it and hope to posse with you, and maybe see one of your carts.   

Obviously my warning here struck a defensive chord with some, who took it as an assault on reloading.  That's quite a stretch.  Actually, it's fine with me if you or others disagree with me.   In fact, I sincerely hope you are correct in this case.  But don't put words in my mouth.  I made no vestige of any complaint about any aspect of the sport. 

DDD

It seems to me and maybe I’m taking your comments on a lot of subjects here out of context but there’s not much to CAS that you can’t find something to object to or poke holes in. I’d like to meet you also and hopefully I’ll pass your inspection and we’ll be able to posse up.

2 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

It seems to me and maybe I’m taking your comments on a lot of subjects here out of context but there’s not much to CAS that you can’t find something to object to or poke holes in. I’d like to meet you also and hopefully I’ll pass your inspection and we’ll be able to posse up.

The out-of-context thing is real, but not at all unusual on the anonymous Wire.  We  just can't properly understand where people are coming from, when we haven't ever met them.   

Re: Ft. Miller, there won't be anything but good fun.   Like I said several days ago, bring plenty of ammo for some fun side matches.   Look forward to seeing you there.  

im in the camp that never - ever worries of this - i wash my hands and i doubt the graphite or dirt in my reclaimed has enough to ever be an issue , but then at near 70 im not gonna worry on it anymore , i dont lean over the smelter and inhale when we cast once a year and never chew on a bullet - i prefer gum , i know there are some exposed to lead in their jobs that may have different opinions but most of us are not , i think this is a red herring the liberals want to use to close us down , 

38 minutes ago, watab kid said:

im in the camp that never - ever worries of this - i wash my hands and i doubt the graphite or dirt in my reclaimed has enough to ever be an issue , but then at near 70 im not gonna worry on it anymore , i dont lean over the smelter and inhale when we cast once a year and never chew on a bullet - i prefer gum , i know there are some exposed to lead in their jobs that may have different opinions but most of us are not , i think this is a red herring the liberals want to use to close us down , 

I wish you luck.  

On 9/22/2019 at 3:04 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You will inhale more during live fire and handling of fired cases, than what you are deal'n with while reloading SG ammo.

That is from someone who has been reloading for 50+ yrs. ;)

OLG

Winner winner chic ken dinner.  You will get more from the lead styphnate in the primers going into the air during firing and the handling residue in fired cases.

2 hours ago, watab kid said:

With so many technical experts here, I can see I'm outclassed.  One really has to wonder about the effects of lead.   Thanks everyone. 

We should all keep in mind that the small group participating and posting here is a tiny fraction of those reading our posts.   Here, 620 views were recorded.  (some probably viewed more than once, to follow responses.). Those viewers  read my lead cautions, and hopefully the included article excerpt.  Counting myself, only 14 of us actually posted responses.   That's about 49 out of 50 viewers who did not visibly respond, but who read our postings.  The bottom line is that nobody here should presume to represent a majority view.  And everyone viewing should not be intimidated by the showing of adverse comments usually posted here.   They should still post their views for that 49 out of 50 to read and possibly agree with and follow.  

On 9/23/2019 at 11:48 PM, Dusty Devil Dale said:

With so many technical experts here, I can see I'm outclassed.  One really has to wonder about the effects of lead.   Thanks everyone. 

im no expert , just an old guy that handles lead very infrequently and yes i am well aware of the very real effect of  lead exposure in high concentrations - im not exposed like that - as well as the cumulative affect of repeated exposure but again , thats not happening to me , 

been shooting all my life but almost always outdoors , been loading for 15-20 years but its once or twice a year , i wash my hands , i avoid breathing the fumes and dust , i do not think i am going to be a victim here , just sayin , 

41 minutes ago, watab kid said:

im no expert , just an old guy that handles lead very infrequently and yes i am well aware of the very real effect of  lead exposure in high concentrations - im not exposed like that - as well as the cumulative affect of repeated exposure but again , thats not happening to me , 

been shooting all my life but almost always outdoors , been loading for 15-20 years but its once or twice a year , i wash my hands , i avoid breathing the fumes and dust , i do not think i am going to be a victim here , just sayin , 

Personally, I converted to silver bullets, along with my good friend Tonto.  

Archived