SASS Wire Forum

Lead exposure loading shotshells

Dusty Devil Dale

I just finished reloading several hundred shotshells.  During that lengthy drudgery, my mind started wandering.  Because I just had my blood lead level checked (OK at  4.4 ppm) lead levels had a presence in my thoughts as I pumped the loader lever up and down.  

I began closely watching the drop tube as the shot charges dropped down into the cases.   With each drop, as the lead filled the case volume, there was a small puff of air that came back up out of each case, blowing lead dust right toward my face.   Naturally I wondered how much lead dust I was inhaling in that process. 

Then my cylinder ran out of shot.  I set up the funnel, as always, and poured about 10# of shot from the bag into the cylinder.  A gush of air blew back up through the funnel, carrying a very visible cloud of microscopic lead particles.   

I immediately stopped what I was doing, washed my hands and face, put on a long sleeved shirt and some blue nitrile gloves, and donned a PM 95 dust mask. 

I've not measured it quantitatively, but it's obvious from watching carefully that shotshell loading ought to have a much higher lead inhalation risk than brass cartridge reloading.  From my research, the lead exposure through skin, from handling raw lead bullets, is pretty negligible.  But not so for ingesting or breathing lead dust particles.  

I just wanted to share these thoughts with others who might be loading SG in closed spaces, unprotected, and possibly without having ever checked their lead levels.  Lead dust is serious stuff.  I'm going to set up my shotshell loading outside, and probably use a cross draft from a fan.   

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The vast majority if not all of the dust you are seeing is actually graphite powder that is applied to the shot to make it flow better.

That's very good to know, but I still think I'm going to play on the safe side.  I'm betting it isn't just 100% graphite.   The bagged shot are beating against each other whenever the bag is moved.  That has to abrade the shot to some degree and create lead dust.  If the graphite dust can be blown around, why couldn't some of the lead be mixed in.  

(Please don't say because the lead is heavier.   We are talking about micro-particles.) 

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Unless your EATING the lead, there isn't enough hazard to care about.  AND:

PLUS ONE too Sedalia Dave  :rolleyes:

Sorry, but that is incorrect. 

Inhaled lead dust and vapor is at least as dangerous as ingested lead.  I've excerpted below the quoted text from a summary medical article which appeared in the Journal Medscape, Dec. 05, 2013.  Author:  Dr. Fazia Mir, M. D. and Eric B. Staros, MD, and seven others. 

"Gastrointestinal absorption:

The percent of lead absorption through the gastrointestinal tract is variable.  Children are at greater risk for lead absorption than adults.  Lead absorption is dependent on several factors, including the physical form of lead, particle size, the GI transit time, and the nutritional status of the person ingesting.  Lead absorption is inversely proportional to particle size.   The smaller the particle, the more completely the lead is absorbed.  Thus, exposure to lead dust results in higher absorbtion than exposure to the equivalent amount of lead chips or paint.  Lead absorption is augmented by the presence of iron, zinc, and by calcium deficiency.  Also by malnutrition, with lead absorption decreased if phosphorus, riboflavin, vitamin C, and Vitamin E are in the diet.  Low-energy (caloric) intake and high fat intake have been associated with enhanced lead absorption. 

Lead absorption is inversely proportional to chronological age.  In general, approximately 30-50% of lead ingested by children is absorbed, compared with approximately 10% of that ingested by adults. 

Dermal Absirption:

Cutaneous absorption of lead is limited (typically far less than 1%).  The amount absorbed through the skin depends on the physical characteristics of the lead (organic v. inorganic) and the integrity of the skin.  Although inorganic lead is not absorbed through the skin, organic compounds containing lead, such as tetramethyl lead, are absorbed. 

Inhalation absorption:

If inhaled in a fine particle state, Lead is absorbed directly through the lungs or may be carried by the mucociliary tree to the throat where it is swallowed and absorbed via the GI system.  The amount of lead absorption that occurs through the respiratory system depends on the particle size, the patients respiratory volume, the amount of deposition, and the mucociliary clearance (coughing up) of the lead involved.   The majority (nearly 100%) of the lead inhaled as vapor, fumes, or microparticles is absorbed directly through the lungs.  

Soft Tissue:

Lead moves quickly in and out of soft tissues.  The blood distributes lead to various organs ans tissues.  Animal studies indicate that the liver, lungs and kidneys have the greatest soft tissue lead concentrations immediately after acute exposure.  The brain is the site of distribution as well.  Children retain more lead in soft tissues than adults do.  Selective brain accumulation may occur in the hippocampus.  Lead in soft tissues has a half life of approximately 40 days.  

Mineralizing Tissue:

Most of the retained lead in the human body is ultimately deposited in bony tissue.  The bones and teeth of adults contain more than 90% of their total body burden, and those of children contain approximately 75%.  Lead in Mineralizing tissue is not uniformly distributed, with accumulation greatest  in bone regions undergoing the most active calcification at the time of exposure. 

Lead may be stored in bony tissues for decades.  But in times of physiologic stress, the body can mobilize lead stores along with bone reabsorption, thereby increasing blood lead levels.   Such stress can include pregnancy, lactation, menopause, physiologic stress, chronic disease, hyperthyroidism, kidney disease, fractures, and advanced age.  It is exacerbated by Calcium deficiency.  Consequently, the normally inert bony tissue lead  pool poses a special risk because it is a potential endogenous source of lead that can maintain Blood Lead Levels long after direct exposure has ended. " 

So inhaled lead, (whether from reloading or from hours spent on the firing line as T. O.) makes it into your blood stream via your lungs and throat-GI system pathways. 

Once in your blood, some gets filtered out by your kidneys and excreted with urine.  Much of the large remaining fraction ends up being deposited in bone and teeth.  

Hope this is clarifying. 

Shopping for a HazMat Suit are we??  :wacko:

Not at all.  Just cautioning reloaders, hopefully to avoid them being exposed and thus avoiding future lawsuits. (added: Pls see my other reply, below) 

Shopping for a HazMat Suit are we??  :wacko:

Maybe I misinterpreted you earlier.  We're you talking about a lawsuit, or a yellow suit? 

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You will inhale more during live fire and handling of fired cases, than what you are deal'n with while reloading SG ammo.

That is from someone who has been reloading for 50+ yrs. ;)

OLG

I'm not in a position to say one way or the other.  The firing line, and spent cases are surely a big lead source.  And I've loaded a LOT of SG ammo for over 60 yrs, and I have a reasonably low blood lead level, so that tends to support what you say. 

But without testing the blown particles during reloading, and/or the grey dust all over my bench for lead,  I'm not in a position to guess if absorption from that source is significant or not.  I think I'll err on the side of caution, rather than risk leukemia, dementia, or other long-term medical complications.  Cleaning up my operation is a small price to pay.  Folks with children in close attendance should be especially cautious.  

Do some research-You are exposed to more bad stuff when stopped in traffic. 

Trust me about the live fire exposer issue-BTDT.

What you see in that shot 'dust' is 99.9999% graphite powder. It's used to lube the shot.

OLG

25 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I'm not in a position to say one way or the other. 

Then you shouldn't say that you were "exposed" or that folks have to be very cautious.  Otherwise you are feeding myths about how evil reloading might be.

Been loading shotshells since 1973.  I AM quite sure I have more exposure on the range!

Good luck, GJ

22 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Then you shouldn't say that you were "exposed" or that folks have to be very cautious.  Otherwise you are feeding myths about how evil reloading might be.

Been loading shotshells since 1973.  I AM quite sure I have more exposure on the range!

Good luck, GJ

Ya know, I've come to the conclusion that some folks (even great cowboy folks) just like to look for an excuse to pick an argument.  I wrote a simple cautionary note for those who reload shotgun ammo and who wish to give consideration to their and their families' lead exposure.   I surely wasn't looking for another subject to argue about.  And, frankly, I don't really care if you believe the exposure is real or not.   

But it's no "myth".  You are in fact being exposed to some level of risk of lead inhalation when you reload shotgun shells. Only the amount or severity of risk/exposure is at question.   Certainly the MSDS for lead shot will describe risks of dust inhalation.  I really cannot imagine anyone trying to argue to the contrary, and to do so seems an aggregious disservice to those whose concerns you are seeking to allay.   

Other lead exposures are in fact known also to be consequential, but they have been addressed in other discussions on other threads.   I had not seen SG reloading risk specifically discussed before. 

And, (an aside) I cannot see how you could make the claim that you have "more (lead) exposure on the range".  The extent of different exposure sources  seems scientifically pretty difficult to differentiate, after years pass. 

So my caution is issued.  Paint over it if you wish.  

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Do some research-You are exposed to more bad stuff when stopped in traffic. 

Trust me about the live fire exposer issue-BTDT.

What you see in that shot 'dust' is 99.9999% graphite powder. It's used to lube the shot.

OLG

I've actually done and seen quite a bit of lead exposure research.  My wife is an M. D. (Board Certified Internist).  For 45 years, knowing both of our interest in shooting, she has collected and shared with me many, many primary research articles on lead, and human shooting risks, as they appeared in her numerous medical journals.  Above, I directly cited just one of them. There are many. 

And before I retired, I managed a wildlife toxicology laboratory which did, among other tests, primary wildlife lead contaminant testing.  I  understand the testing spectrometry equipment and  its limitations, and I can do (and did)  some of the testing personally. 

There is no question that stopped in traffic is also a source of lead inhalation, but that doesn't nullify the fact that shooting/reloading  exposure, is likely to be consequential.  I was simply calling out that risk to my friends, hopefully to help them limit their adverse lead exposure.  Honestly, I didn't see this as a particularly controversial subject.  Surprised again.  

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Are you using new commercial shot, reclaimed Shot, or shot made by an individual?

If you are directing that to me, the OP, I use new commercial shot.  

17 minutes ago, sourdoughjim said:

There has been no lead in gasoline for decades.

Valid point.  But recently I read that they still find lead "traces" in diesel exhaust, and in air quality samples near larger highways. 

Keep in mind that detectable "traces", given present available gas spectrometry measurement technogies, are in Parts Per TRILLION.   As detection gets more capable, they will find every contaminant in every sample from any location.   

And I like to keep in mind that nobody brought in a space ship load of lead or Mercury.   All the naturally occurring heavy metals in the world have been here for Eons.  We just moved it around, locally reconcentrated it, and in some cases converted it to organic lead.  But all of those impacts are pretty localized, and that is why the worldwide human population still has an average blood lead level below below 3 ppm (children slightly higher).  So at the population level, the sky isn't necessarily falling imminently.  

But with that said,  if you read the article I excerpted, Lead that was inhaled decades ago, at vehicle stop lights, is still deposited in peoples'  bones and teeth, and under stress, it can reenter the blood. 

2 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Dale,  

Nice bright Yellow Suit - - - - With tongue stuck firmly in cheek :rolleyes:

I've had to wear both kinds of "suit". 

Neither is pleasant, and both are absolutely to be avoided whenever possible.  

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Good luck, GJ

Don't split words.  I said neither.  

1 hour ago, sourdoughjim said:

There has been no lead in gasoline for decades.

There's a whole book of bad stuff in automotive exhaust besides 'lead'. ;)

You have a better chance of dying from a car crash or a fall, than what you are exposed to while reloading.

Do wear a 'mask' when dry tumbling and gloves while in contact with 'dirty brass'.

OLG

10 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

There's a whole book of bad stuff in automotive exhaust besides 'lead'. ;)

You have a better chance of dying from a car crash or a fall, than what you are exposed to while reloading.

Do wear a 'mask' when dry tumbling and gloves while in contact with 'dirty brass'.

OLG

Agree.  In the broader spectrum, many health risks exceed shooter lead poisoning.  I believe falls are #1.  Drowning and choking are up there too. 

But as far as lead goes, shooters/reloaders are known to be at higher risk.  Several shooters I've spoken with thought shotgun reloading risk was low, because you don't physically touch the lead like you do with brass cartridge loading.  So  I was just trying to point out how SG loading creates human-lead contact, via inhalation, and that lead exposure doesnt require skin contact.  In fact, the skin contact risk from handling bullets or brass is shown to be pretty negligible (see above article). 

If you use coated bullets, you don't touch lead .....

Again I will say that the majority of that shot dust you are seeing, is Graphite powder and not lead.

What you inhale on the firing line is the biggest source of lead.

OLG

Just a question, not really trying to pick a fight...

DDD you stated your lead levels were very low (4.4)

Have you been reloading shotgun shells in the past/recently? for a long period of time?

Have you been reloading cartridges in the past/recently? for a long period of time?

If so you have answered your question, your lead abatement procedures from the past have been perfectly adequate in terms of keeping your blood lead level in an acceptable range.

Unless you just began reloading or plan on increasing your reloading #'s by quite a bit I don't see any benefit to dramatically changing how you take care of yourself as far as exposure to lead

"I've not measured it quantitatively, but it's obvious from watching carefully that shotshell loading ought to have a much higher lead inhalation risk than brass cartridge reloading.  From my research, the lead exposure through skin, from handling raw lead bullets, is pretty negligible.  But not so for ingesting or breathing lead dust particles.

I just wanted to share these thoughts with others who might be loading SG in closed spaces, unprotected, and possibly without having ever checked their lead levels.  Lead dust is serious stuff.  I'm going to set up my shotshell loading outside, and probably use a cross draft from a fan." 

As others have stated most of the dust you are observing is the graphite commonly used on commercial and previously cleaned reclaimed lead. I recently bought some commercial shot that had a plastic liner inside the bag and there was virtually no debris in it upon filling my loading bottles. If there were significant deformation of pellets and thus microscopic lead dust released through abrasive processes I would have expected considerably more debris. And I personally do not know anyone who deliberately eats lead pellets:P

All the best, keep your levels low, see ya on the range

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

If you use coated bullets, you don't touch lead .....

Again I will say that the majority of that shot dust you are seeing, is Graphite powder and not lead.

What you inhale on the firing line is the biggest source of lead.

OLG

Absent any hard data, I'm not disagreeing with anything that you posted, except possibly your use of the "biggest source" wording.  So I'm still looking for comparative  data on exposure from shotshell reloading.  I may need to run some tests on my loading table dust accumulation, and collect some new exhausted dust on absorbent pads while actually loading.  If they are inert, that points to graphite.  

I've seen dosimiter data from absorbent pads set around CAS and other shooting stages, and they do pick up substantial lead residue from aerosolization.  So I've never disputed aerosolized lead at the range  as a serious exposure source. 

But just because one source is known to be a serious one does not mean that other sources can be ignored or left unassessed.  We still need to know about, and correct, our other exposure risk sources. 

I really suspect  the dust on my shotshell table contains high lead content and is not just graphite.   It smells metallic and is not particularly slippery when I get it on my hands.  (I'm convincing myself here to go back to my old lab and talk them into letting me use the gas chromatograph and run lead concentration tests.)  I'm betting they would surprise us.  

And BTW, thank you v. much for helping steer this to constructive dialog.  

DDD ...Yes you are going to get some sort of lead exposure somewhere no matter how careful you are 'BUT we shoot so what do you expect..without trying to be a smart arse I say  keep shooting, be as preventive as you can & whatever happens happens.

Or the alternative is give it up  & chance all the other possibilities of falling off the perch.

Respectfully  & JMHO

I'm with PM on this. We shoot and reload lead bullets and lead shot, what would you expect? Like was mentioned before, if you have been reloading for any length of time and your lead level is that low, apparently you are doing what needs to be done to keep it that way. Seems maybe you are making Half dome or El Capitan out of a small mole bump. If you reload ANYTHING and you are unaware of lead risks, you have no business reloading.

Your choices, my friend, are: go on as you are or quit reloading/shooting. Simple

Thanks for the warning.

Is there one single thing about Cowboy Action Shooting that you don’t find fault with? It seems like every aspect of the sport, guns, reloading, stage set up, targets, etc.. is something to complain about. Sheesh!!

Folks might want to have the lead level tested in their blood at the next opportunity.  There is nothing like a few data points to determine if your loading, shooting, cleaning, etc. techniques are sufficient.  I can tell you from personal experiences that I have changed the way I load ammo and range/shooting event habits.

3 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Your choices, my friend, are: go on as you are or quit reloading/shooting. Simple

Thanks for the warning.

Partially true, but it sells short a third option, which is actually the best one.  We can reasonably deal with even minor lead exposure anywhere we find it, no matter if it isn't the greatest exposure source, and we can do our best to minimize it.  Running a fan is a quantum step  better than either giving up shooting or risking health issues.  And when you're loading in 100+ degree heat, it might be a good deal.  Not so great a deal in other localities though.   

I wasn't looking for rules or regulations requiring anybody to do anything.  As for me, real risk or not, I'm planning to do some serious clean-up and redesign of where I reload SG.  If I or my wife develop lead illnesses in the future, I don't want to have to wonder if I caused it out of negligence and stubbornness.   To me, this one is an easy fix.  

1 hour ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

This oughta be pinned.

Archived