SASS Wire Forum

What happened?

James Henry Parker SASS#76661

Got out of Sass for while and just started back maybe three matches back Spotters not looking at shooters ,TO’s not asking each spotter about misses , one spotter has the say of outcome. No one at loading tables or unloading tables . When did it change when I started you had three spotters and if two agreed that was it. There was always someone at loading and unloading tables T O ‘s asked each spotter about misses and p T O did not count misses did not call it clean when spotters had misses . Everyone let the one at loading or unloading table check there guns . Ok I’m over it now but What Happened to the game ? 

I just think things should be done the way the rules are written and the rules should apply to everyone I shot for almost ten years and didn’t see this much in all the time mind you I’ve only been back for three shoots 

Depends on the club.  We just finished the Midwest Regional at Gunsmoke and the unloading table is manned by the previous shooter, the loading table didn't have a dedicated LT officer, however, shooters checked each other.  Always have three spotters and they all have a say.

Around here, there's always three spotters and an unloading table person.  Sometimes the unloading table officer stays there.  Sometimes at small matches the person bringing the brass handles checking the shooters guns.  Someone always does it.

Loading table is more informal.  Some have a person there, some have the next person in line do the check.  When I was at Winter Ranger a couple of years ago, there were no formal loading table officers, so I don't get too excited about how it's handled.

JHP:  Don't know where you are shooting, but even our local matches have 3 spotters and an

ULT officer.   Safety is paramount and fairness of scoring a shooter is always a top priority.

Maybe someone at one of those clubs you have attended will chime in and explain the situation.

..........Widder

Must be a local aberration, while we don't have a specified LTO, some folks check for each other, when it makes them more comfortable; the previous shooter is the ULTO, always 3 spotters (ok, sometimes the scorekeeper has to do double duty), but what spotters say goes for misses.

Sometimes there are club problems that do not reflect the integrity of SASS.  Suggest taking it to the club officers.  It is still a blast!!!

We are not talking about Sass we talking about safety rules and fairness to the shooters here the sass rules are the same world wide just because someone don’t follow them does not make them safe or fair. This is not a call out to anyone just Noticed that the people or to relax with safety rules and not fair to all shooters I’m still going to shoot regardless if I get called on a noticed that the people or to relax with safety rules and not fair to all shooters I’m still going to shoot regardless of what the calls are I know if they are hits and I know if there are misses I know when something is unsafe and when it is safe. 

3 hours ago, James Henry Parker SASS#76661 said:

Got out of Sass for while and just started back maybe three matches back Spotters not looking at shooters ,TO’s not asking each spotter about misses , one spotter has the say of outcome. No one at loading tables or unloading tables . When did it change when I started you had three spotters and if two agreed that was it. There was always someone at loading and unloading tables T O ‘s asked each spotter about misses and p T O did not count misses did not call it clean when spotters had misses . Everyone let the one at loading or unloading table check there guns . Ok I’m over it now but What Happened to the game ? 

Did you have a call made against you that you felt was wrong or did you witness a call you felt was wrong? 

Did you raise your concerns to the MD, posse marshal or TO during or after the match?

We are not talking about Sass we talking about safety rules and fairness to the shooters here the sass rules are the same world wide just because someone don’t follow them does not make them safe or fair. This is not a call out to anyone just Noticed that the people or to relax with safety rules and not fair to all shooters I’m still going to shoot regardless if I get called on a noticed that the people or to relax with safety rules and not fair to all shooters I’m still going to shoot regardless of what the calls are I know if they are hits and I know if there are misses I know when something is unsafe and when it is safe. 

No the calls were not made against me and yes I saw the bad calls and people loading their guns with  no one around . And yes I did talk to the ones there . It’s not a childish game of you called a miss on me it’s not doing what you are Supposed to be doing if you’re not going to spot right don’t spot at all do something else to help the posse have fun . I call it like I see it no matter who it shooting if I think  it’s a miss it’s a hit if it’s a miss then it’s a miss if it’s unsafe it’s unsafe . 

5 hours ago, James Henry Parker SASS#76661 said:

Nothing you described happens at the 5 clubs I attend. I suggest you bring up the issue at the club you're going to or find another.;)

You had me worried I missed something yesterday.

You are right, safety should always be first and foremost and spotters should spot for others like they want to be spotted for.

We did have some issues yesterday that need to be addressed (and will).

And yes, there are people that I would really prefer to not TO me or my wife or spot when we're shooting.

This is not SASS itself, it is a problem at local club level.  I'm glad you brought it up at the time.  An alert Chief Range Officer, (CRO), the one with the timer, should be making sure spotters are doing their jobs properly, and that guns are being checked at the loading and unloading table, in whichever manner the club has chosen.  

No sir mr Rick you did a great job yesterday we all miss things from time to time . You had your hands full for sure but you did great  specially  with the new shooter.  If my shotgun would have worked I could have had a better day but it goes like that sometimes. 

This was not at the match yesterday this was two months ago and I do good to remember yesterday. I was just sitting around  thinking about a place I went to and probably want go back . There are two clubs I go to and they are great  I guess I thought every club was the same. I was trying to get as much shooting to get back in the game before a state match . But think I will stick to two clubs now 

Not what I am seeing around here after almost a 4 year layoff.

Game still called the way it was when I left it.

Sounds more like a CLUB problem than a SASS problem.

Please don't lump all of SASS into something that one club is doing.

If that club can not get there S*&^ together. Might be time to just walk away from THAT club.

8 minutes ago, James Henry Parker SASS#76661 said:

No sir mr Rick you did a great job yesterday we all miss things from time to time . You had your hands full for sure but you did great  specially  with the new shooter.  If my shotgun would have worked I could have had a better day but it goes like that sometimes. 

Thank you for the kind words, sir.

Archived