SASS Wire Forum

Reality of War

Subdeacon Joe

Bad day at the office!

Nathan Bedford Forrest.  ATTACK IN ALL DIRECTIONS!!

Consolation?

The same thing is likely going on in the enemy armored vehicles.

As a British Field Marshal (Sir William Slim) is reputed to have said   "The British Army always manages to fight its battles uphill, at night, and at the junction of two or more maps"

Cheese sandwiches notwithstanding....:D

14 hours ago, Constable Nelson #11784 said:

As a British Field Marshal (Sir William Slim) is reputed to have said   "The British Army always manages to fight its battles uphill, at night, and at the junction of two or more maps"

Cheese sandwiches notwithstanding....:D

And usually very bad maps. :lol:

And I never heard AFV used in any WWII literature I've read. I believe it's a pretty modern term.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 9:48 AM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

And I never heard AFV used in any WWII literature I've read. I believe it's a pretty modern term.

Maybe so.... but more modern terms can aid in recognition...       I doubt many folks would know what the terms  serpentine,  saker,  culverin and  basilisk mean ...  Easier to just say "cannon"...:D

On 9/27/2019 at 4:48 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The Germans took an early LOOK at the idea and later, post-war, developed their own.

Probably the TERM developed circa 1950-1957 or so(?)   In the US, these I believe(?), after development, saw some limited deployment in Vietnam in the mid-late 1960’s, with some equipped with surface to surface anti-personnel/anti-tank missiles, and some equipped with 20mm “chain guns” (multi-barreled auto-cannon).   

I saw them.  Can anyone elaborate?

Cat Brules

Okay I recall now....

The VULCAN/CHAPARRAL, combined:   (Vulcan) 20mm chaingun cannon/(Chaparral) missile system.  The system was mounted on a  mobile armored track vehicle

(I was wrong earlier; the Chaparral missile is surface-to-air)

It, or some some version of it, must be in use today.   Most likely, there’s an optional surface to surface mission system.

Anyway, that’s it.   I was familiar with these back in the mid60’s .

Any updates from anyone? 

Cat Brules

5 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

The Germans took an early LOOK at the idea and later, post-war, developed their own.

Probably the TERM developed circa 1950-1957 or so(?)   In the US, these I believe(?), after development, saw some limited deployment in Vietnam in the mid-late 1960’s, with some equipped with surface to surface anti-personnel/anti-tank missiles, and some equipped with 20mm “chain guns” (multi-barreled auto-cannon).   

I saw them.  Can anyone elaborate?

Cat Brules

53 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

Okay I recall now....

The VULCAN/CHAPARRAL, combined:   (Vulcan) 20mm chaingun cannon/(Chaparral) missile system.  The system was mounted on a  mobile armored track vehicle

(I was wrong earlier; the Chaparral missile is surface-to-air)

It, or some some version of it, must be in use today.   Most likely, there’s an optional surface to surface mission system.

Anyway, that’s it.   I was familiar with these back in the mid60’s .

Any updates from anyone? 

Cat Brules

AFV is a general term for Armoured Fighting Vehicle and doesnt neccessarily mean just Tank, Armoured Personnel Carrier or any other varient (such as anti aircraft described above).

As for Armoured Anti Aircraft vehs there are a plethora and I think most modern armies with a mechanised capability have them (not Australia though:blush:). Not many vehicles mix missle and gun on the same chasis but the US and Russia have a few examples.

220px-2008_Moscow_Victory_Day_Parade_-_9K22_Tunguska.jpg

28 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

AFV is a general term for Armoured Fighting Vehicle and doesnt neccessarily mean just Tank, Armoured Personnel Carrier or any other varient (such as anti aircraft described above).

As for Armoured Anti Aircraft vehs there are a plethora and I think most modern armies with a mechanised capability have them (not Australia though:blush:). Not many vehicles mix missle and gun on the same chasis but the US and Russia have a few examples.

220px-2008_Moscow_Victory_Day_Parade_-_9K22_Tunguska.jpg

In the US an AFV is primarily an armed personnel carrier. A tank would never be referred to as an AFV.

52 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

In the US an AFV is primarily an armed personnel carrier. A tank would never be referred to as an AFV.

Every country has their own way of looking at it. In Australia we follow the below definition (from Wiki)

An armored fighting vehicle (AFV) is an armed combat vehicle protected by armour, generally combining operational mobility with offensive and defensive capabilities. AFVs can be wheeled or tracked. Main battle tanks, armoured cars, armoured self-propelled guns, and armoured personnel carriers are all examples of AFVs.

Armoured fighting vehicles are classified according to their intended role on the battlefield and characteristics. The classifications are not absolute; two countries may classify the same vehicle differently, and the criteria change over time. For example, relatively lightly armed armoured personnel carriers were largely superseded by infantry fighting vehicles with much heavier armament in a similar role.

Archived