SASS Wire Forum

A Different Winchester Double AA Issue

Fence Cutter

I have seen a lot of talk here about Winchester AA's that do not fit into chambers or do not come out of chambers. I have never had an issue with either one so moving on.......

For years I have reloaded my own 12 gauge shells using AA Featherlite powder.  A few years ago it was taken off the market, and I finally ran out of my stock pile a year ago. I have moved on to the new recipes but sometimes I just buy the Low Recoil AAs and get along just fine.

However...

This spring I noticed that sometimes the ink on the shell would completely rub off and disappear with a single touch. The next box the ink would rub off but would gum up and make little sticky balls on the shell. Other boxes you could not scrape the ink off unless you used a pocket knife. It's been hit-and-miss, all having different lot numbers.

Has anyone else ran into this, or do I just have a special touch?

A shooter told me today of a similar issue he had just had with them. I have not had this issue. I opened a box of AA's last month and 7 shells had chunks of brass missing or twisted on the rims.

1 hour ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

A shooter told me today of a similar issue he had just had with them. I have not had this issue. I opened a box of AA's last month and 7 shells had chunks of brass missing or twisted on the rims.

Quality control? 

Has anybody contacted them to ask what's up? 

A couple years ago we got several cases of AA Low Recoil for my wife that had various levels of ink.  Some were wet, others were just extremely heavy ink.  The shells loaded into chamber with no issue, but after firing they stuck in the chamber bad enough my wife had trouble racking the '97 open.

I found this hard to believe, but by cleaning the ink off the hulls before firing them made the sticking issue go away.

Ever since then we have been scrubbing the ink off of any new AA's before shooting them.

Lastyear I started reloading because it is easier and faster to reload than to scrub off the ink.

I still have some new AA's on the shelf that need to be cleaned, and I have been putting it off.

I've had the ink wipe off them with normal handling but never had an issue with sticking.

I do use a chrome lined double , so not sure if that is a variable.

Archived