SASS Wire Forum

Storing produce question

Alpo

I seldom have fresh vegetables - canned, frozen or dried last so much better.

But I've recently heard that dogs like carrots. So I bought a small bag of baby carrots to give me a try.

I heard correctly. Worthless chows down on them like they'uz a steak bone.

I currently have them in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator. And I notice the interior of the bag has moisture on it.

Is this going to cause them to rot? Do I need to leave the bag unzipped so the condensation can evaporate?

Hep me out here, folks.

For carrots, the best way is in a container of water in the fridge, second best is to open the plastic bag, or in a barrel of damp sand in the root cellar.

about “baby carrots”, the American consumer has been spoiled by having perfectly shaped straight carrots in the supermarket. As much as 50% of carrots from the garden are not straight.  This misshapen crop is sent to be “peas and carrots” or ground up to be “baby carrots” after they have lost their sweetness. 

Worthless wont care though.

My mother always taught me to wrap vegetables loosely in aluminum foil. I’vef had lettuce last two weeks that way

For carrots that have occupied our refrigerator too long, I shoot them with my cannon.    Alpo, buy a cannon!

My dog loves baby carrots.  Good fiber for the dog.

My dog loves cucumbers, lettuce, and carrots. Carrots last longer Justin the frigd. If I give him jerky treat and a cumber he goes for the cucumber first. Saves a lot of$ on treats.. If my dog sees me eating something, he wil eat it. Including Kale,sourkraut, brockli (thegreen stuff) and calliflower..

Ive had a few shots of Texas Crown, so my spelling is not up to par.

19 minutes ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

If my dog sees me eating something, he wil eat it. Including Kale,sourkraut, brockli (thegreen stuff) and calliflower..

So how’s the dog’s spelling.

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Root cellar in Florida. :D

He said "damp sand" in the root cellar.

Damp sand I got. And if I dug a root cellar, it would most certainly be damp.

She looked so poor, picked on, and pitiful, because I was eating something and would not let her have any. So I broke down and I gave her a piece of my banana.

She took it, spit it out. When I picked it up she wanted it back, so I gave it back, and she spit it out again.

I believe that's the only thing that I have eaten that she will not eat.

3 hours ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

My dog loves cucumbers, lettuce, and carrots. Carrots last longer Justin the frigd. If I give him jerky treat and a cumber he goes for the cucumber first. Saves a lot of$ on treats.. If my dog sees me eating something, he wil eat it. Including Kale,sourkraut, brockli (thegreen stuff) and calliflower..

I was enjoying a nice glass of Jack Daniels on the rocks and the dog sat there begging like he is prone to do.  I told him "you wouldn't like this" as I held it out for his inspection.  And fast as lightning his tongue shot into my glass.  My wife got a good laugh as I weighed my options. 

20 hours ago, Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943 said:

I was enjoying a nice glass of Jack Daniels on the rocks and the dog sat there begging like he is prone to do.  I told him "you wouldn't like this" as I held it out for his inspection.  And fast as lightning his tongue shot into my glass.  My wife got a good laugh as I weighed my options. 

1st. The alcohol likely killed most of the dog germs

2nd. Did the dog come back for seconds? 

3rd. Why would a connoisseur of fine Scotch be drinking Jack Daniels. were you drinking 

Lastly what did you do?  Inquiring minds want to know

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

1st. The alcohol likely killed most of the dog germs

2nd. Did the dog come back for seconds? 

3rd. Why would a connoisseur of fine Scotch be drinking Jack Daniels. were you drinking 

Lastly what did you do?  Inquiring minds want to know

The dog continuedto beg for another. 

I drank it

I have never been a fan of scotch. I have tried it on several occasions even the fancy stuff and it ain't for me. 

A bit over 40 years ago one night I found my Brittany, Woody, passed out, with his paws wrapped around a bottle of Jack Daniels.

Seems he'd stolen the bottle, gnawed the lid until he could access the contents, and lapped up enough to "put 'im off in the weeds."

Next day he had one HELL of a hangover.  The slightest sharp sound and he'd wince.  Just hung out most of the day looking miserable, drank some water, but wasn't interested in chow.  

Darnedest thing, though - after he recovered, for the next several years whenever he'd see someone with a bottle of Jack he'd beg!  And no, we never gave him any nor left a bottle within his reach.

Poor dawg.  :(

On 9/21/2019 at 7:08 PM, Alpo said:

She looked so poor, picked on, and pitiful, because I was eating something and would not let her have any. So I broke down and I gave her a piece of my banana.

She took it, spit it out. When I picked it up she wanted it back, so I gave it back, and she spit it out again.

Alpo,

Tell me you didn't eat the piece of banana that Worthless spit out! :o:P

On 9/21/2019 at 6:08 PM, Alpo said:

My dog won't eat grapes either.  I had one who would eat them if I squished it first. 

Carrots in a container of water in the fridge is how I do it.  Container is closed.  I don't know if it's required but it keeps it from spilling which would make the bunkhouse boss upset.  I don't know if it has anything to do with freshness, I do it because it makes them all sweeter. 

The dog toys that hold treats inside do very good with carrots too       GW

Years ago my dog Krueger would beg for beer. I would give him a little when I came home from work. I am talking maybe a swig in a bowl.

The neighbor lady liked to have lost her mind “That beer is poison for a dog!” she would shriek. 

I told her she needed a few beers to calm herself down. She’d give me a “Humph” and off she’d go, back into her house.

One day my friend left a quart bottle of Coors on the porch. Krueger knocked it over. Started to lap it up. Stopped then lifted his leg and peed on the spilt beer. We laughed so hard we couldn’t breath.

I guess Krueger was a Bud man.:D

Archived