SASS Wire Forum

Needin' some "crafty" suggestions.... Update! Got it done!

Awrighty.... So we have this Cub Scout Pinewood Derby coming up.  Budget is pretty much nil, and I got tasked with creating awards.

In the past we spent a bundle on trophies.  No bundle this year, sooo....  the one thing I'll be buying will be the little brass plates stating what the awards are.

I'm going to try to make up a bunch of plaques like the picture below.  Local shop donated a big ol' box of used pistons - assorted sizes.  Fella at 84 Lumber gave me a good deal on some pine planks.  

I have plenty of shop tools on hand; plan to first cut the pistons in half with the horizontal bandsaw, clean, then glass bead blast.  I'll run the wood through the thickness planer, shape the edges on the router table and add a keyhole slot to the backside.... then stain (oak?) and varnish.   

But here's my puzzlement.  How on earth do I firmly fasten the piston halves and li'l wrenches (cheapies from Harbor Freight, or "Hazard Fraught" as Sassparilla Kid calls it) to the plaques?  :huh:

I gotta make about forty or so of these things, so simple is important....  Any suggestions?   :)

Here's the "inspiration sample" picture from the Internet:   whistling.gif

161646388_PistonPlaque1.jpg.0a52b8a2c5ed368df6b6a97e33338592.jpg

13 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

screw through the backside to a predrilled hole in the meat of the piston half-same for the wrenches.  Alternatively you could drill two small holes and wire things together through the 3rd ring groove.

Hardpan,

Best method. ;)

Wire looks ugly and cheap looking. :(

2 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

screw through the backside to a predrilled hole in the meat of the piston half-same for the wrenches.  Alternatively you could drill two small holes and wire things together through the 3rd ring groove.

Other than glue this is your best bet.

Drill holes in back side of pistons, use JB Weld to glue screws into the holes.  Braze or weld screws to back side of wrenches.

Drill holes in plank for the screws.  Countersink the holes on the back side of the board for nuts and washers.  cut the screws to just shorter than thickness of planks.

Bolt pistons and wrenches to planks, sit back and admire your handiwork.

That is the complicated procedure, good luck with what ever you decide.

Duffield

You've already got a nice big hole where the pin would connect the piston to the connecting rod.  Find some washers large enough to catch the edge of the pin opening, and secure with a screw through the washer, the hole and into the plaque.  

LL

There is an adhesive called E6000.  It takes a little while to set, but it'll stick ANYTHING together that isn't liquid or covered in a liquid.  It is clear and when dry, is odor free.

4 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Drill holes in back side of pistons, use JB Weld to glue screws into the holes.  Braze or weld screws to back side of wrenches.

Drill holes in plank for the screws.  Countersink the holes on the back side of the board for nuts and washers.  cut the screws to just shorter than thickness of planks.

Bolt pistons and wrenches to planks, sit back and admire your handiwork.

That is the complicated procedure, good luck with what ever you decide.

Duffield

Sounds more complicated but in the long run I bet it will be easier. 

The pistons will be an aluminum alloy, pretty soft stuff. Drill through from the back into the meat of the piston skirts and use self-tapping metal screws.  El-chepo wrenches are sometimes aluminum too. Use the same method just be careful not to drill through. Glue for the plaque. 

11 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

There is an adhesive called E6000.  It takes a little while to set, but it'll stick ANYTHING together that isn't liquid or covered in a liquid.  It is clear and when dry, is odor free.

Hardpan, just a word of caution. E6000 will eat some plastics. Styrene is one that it will eat. If your plaques are plastic test the glue first.

Good Luck!

CJ

I like DocX idea about using self tapping screws.  Drill some small starter holes into the wrenches then use the self tappers.  I've used them for a bunch of auto related repairs and customization.  You be surprised how easy they are to use and how well they hold. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got 'er done~!!  :lol:

Thanks all for the advice!  'Twas a pile o' work, but the outcome was worth it - bunch of happy, smiling kids.  :)

Unfortunately, the self-drilling/tapping screws didn't work worth a damn.  No prob ~ clamped the piston halves onto the plaques , drilled through then tapped and used 8-32 machine screws.  Countersunk the backside for the screws and routed a keyhole slot for hanging.

But I came up with a dandy idea for the wrenches!  Got a mess of rare earth button magnets, JB Welded two to each plaque, and Bingo! just stuck the wrenches on.  Kids loved being able to take 'em off and play with 'em.  Oh... used new ones - cheap, a set of 33 for under $20 from Harbor Freight.    

Ended up only needing 27.  Thankfully - this project was a major pain in the patootie.

1282275486_PWDPlaques1a.thumb.jpg.0a34bc9aad9d052ec60376899bf67537.jpg                482328470_PWDPlaquesWinners.thumb.jpg.7af2c30da175cb732bff0cabd9cb6935.jpg

But Pinewood Derby cars aren’t allowed to have pistons. You could just given em a piece of pine. :lol:

You’re welcome.

Archived