SASS Wire Forum

Popular fiction

Utah Bob #35998

Thinking of some action/mystery books. 1. Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. 2. Quinn Colson series by Ace Atkins. 3. Peter Ash series by Nick Petrie.

Reacher - Veteran

Colson - Veteran

Ash - Veteran

Remember when about the only veterans portrayed in fiction, both books and movies, were not heroes but drooling psycho murderers? I do.

Times change eh?

I'm re-reading Stephen Coonts "Jake Grafton" series; Flight of the Intruder, The Intruders, Final Flight, The Minotaur, Under Siege, The Red Horseman.... and a slew of others.  Definitely no shortage of action.

Coonts was an A-6 pilot himself, and is quite a good writer - in my not so humble opinion.   :rolleyes:

His first book, Flight of the Intruder, was made into a movie.  The book was much better.  I have an old friend who was a Command Master Chief with an Intruder squadron, and he got to do some "technical advising" for the film.  No offense, Mike, but the book was still better.   ^_^

Stephen hunter writes a series of sniper

fictions with the main character being a former Vietnam man era marine sniper.  They’re all great.  Also Robert Parker has a series based on two Marshall’s in the 1870 s .  The movie Appaloosa was based on one of these

Try Marshall Harrison's books if you get the chance.  A USAF FAC in Vietnam, his autobiographical A Lonely Kind of War reads as fast as the best novels.  Leaving Borgado is fiction but as  realistic as the bio book.

He occasionally falls for the usual foibles like; "the smell of cordite . . " in the air, changing clips in the M-16, and A/3/5 as a Marine rifle company.  You can ignore those and have a great read.  

Highly recommended.

Stephen Hunter series with the Bob Lee Swagger character... great stuff. Vietnam Vet.

Netflix has taken the book story and adapted it to work with an Iraqi War veteran.

19 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Remember when about the only veterans portrayed in fiction, both books and movies, were not heroes but drooling psycho murderers?

Was you thinking of Mack Bolan, The Executioner?

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Was you thinking of Mack Bolan, The Executioner?

No

23 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Thinking of some action/mystery books. 1. Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. 2. Quinn Colson series by Ace Atkins. 3. Peter Ash series by Nick Petrie.

Reacher - Veteran

Colson - Veteran

Ash - Veteran

Remember when about the only veterans portrayed in fiction, both books and movies, were not heroes but drooling psycho murderers? I do.

Times change eh?

Well, Sly is still trying to milk Rambo...

My initial point was that in the years following Vietnam, vets were almost always portrayed  as psychotic blood lust-crazed villains. I remember how pissed off I used to get every time the cops on a show would be tracking down an ex-Green Beret weapons expert whacko who had karate chopped a bunch of nuns on his way to blow up the Statue of Liberty.

Meanwhile I remembered all the film noir movies of the late 40s and 50s where the dashing private eyes were all vets and brought the killers to justice.

Times have changed thank goodness. I hope they don’t swing back.

10 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

My initial point was that in the years following Vietnam, vets were almost always portrayed  as psychotic blood lust-crazed villains. I remember how pissed off I used to get every time the cops on a show would be tracking down an ex-Green Beret weapons expert whacko who had karate chopped a bunch of nuns on his way to blow up the Statue of Liberty.

Meanwhile I remembered all the film noir movies of the late 40s and 50s where the dashing private eyes were all vets and brought the killers to justice.

Times have changed thank goodness. I hope they don’t swing back.

I get your point.  Nowadays, the go to bad guy is a PO or fed agent or a military officer.

Read The Reckoning by John Grisham, the main character  is a WW2 hero. Something goes terribly wrong though. 

Ben Coes books featuring Dewey Andreason are pretty good page turners also. He’s a veteran also.

I guess John Sandford’s “Prey” series (Rules Of Prey, Eyes Of Prey, etc). featuring Lucas Davenport as an LEO in Minnesota is an exception; Davenport is not a veteran.  But these are all good reads.  Do them in order of publication so the background makes sense.  Sandford is better than most authors on gun stuff.  Not perfect, but better.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:14 AM, Dantankerous said:

Stephen Hunter series with the Bob Lee Swagger character... great stuff. Vietnam Vet.

How about Bob Lee's Pop, Earl?

Another great Hunter character.

Tough nut (WWII Marine First Sargent)

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:54 PM, Chief Rick said:

Well, Sly is still trying to milk Rambo...

The newest is Rambo, Last Blood...

Saw the trailer

[insert puke emoticon here.]

Hopefully it is the LAST...

1 hour ago, Shotgun Willie Nelson said:

How about Bob Lee's Pop, Earl?

Another great Hunter character.

Tough nut (WWII Marine First Sargent)

Dirty White Boys is one of my favorite Hunter books. I met my sons ship coming back from the D Day 50th anniversary for a Tiger Cruise and was just finishing the book and gave it to him to read. He passed it around to his shipmates and said a few of them became Hunter fans after reading it.

The book is almost always better.... for fairly obvious reasons....(movies can't be 11 hours long lol)

BUT... my current favourite movie... which started as  a book..is "The Martian".    One can go from book to film and back without anguish.....  helps that the author was one of the screenwriters I suppose.. IMO they did a GREAT job of harnessing the SPIRIT of the book and putting it onscreen.....

I liked Dirty White Boys, but living in Lawton for several years makes me think he didn’t do a lot of research on the area.

For example there were no tattoo shops in Oklahoma in that time frame.  If you wanted a tat you either went out of state, or had it done illegally.

17 hours ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

I liked Dirty White Boys, but living in Lawton for several years makes me think he didn’t do a lot of research on the area.

For example there were no tattoo shops in Oklahoma in that time frame.  If you wanted a tat you either went out of state, or had it done illegally.

It is fiction. Probably trying to add a little color to the story.

Archived