SASS Wire Forum

A Question About Protocols

Calamity Kris

Had an interesting incident happen this evening.  I'm wondering if it's becoming the new norm.

On my way home from work this evening, I was in the queue for the highway exit ramp.  The compact sedan behind me decided they didn't want or need to sit in the queue so they pulled out of the lane, in front of a speeding Suburban.  You can imagine the next part.  A big thump and debris flying everywhere.  I narrowly missed having the whole mess pushed into my car.  After they got the vehicles off the highway, I pulled in front of the involved vehicles and called 911, because I was certain the occupants of the compact sedan would be hurt.  Five minutes later, a county mountie arrived, followed shortly by a fire truck and squad.  Five minutes after that, the FHP arrived. The EMS resources weren't needed after all so they were sent home.  I stood to the side and watched the goings on when the FHP officer called me over.  He asked what my role was in the incident.  I told him I witnessed it and stayed around until help arrived to make sure no one was hurt.  He asked me for my version of the incident, which I recited to him.  When he asked for my information, he asked me for my name, phone number AND SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER!!!  All in lieu of my drivers license.  He sent me on my way and said he would call me if he needed me.

Is asking for your SSN a new way to retrieve your address etc?  Was he trying to determine if I was here legally?  What was the purpose?

Uncle Sugar even sayz the SS# is not ID.

Why he didn't ask for your DL, is be on me. That is legal ID.

I would call the station he is out of, and ask the WC, what the reason was.

Hope you got his name.......

OLG

Someone asks me for my social, unless it's my boss, my bank, the Sociable Security folks themselves or the Infernal Revenuers --- uuhhhh, NO. Ain't nobody else's business.

I have a perfectly fine number for the PO-lice. I've had it nigh on fifty years, and I'll be quite happy to tell it to 'em, or to let 'em look at it if they don't believe I know it.

I would have produced my license and declined to give my SSN. The police do not need it for a traffic accident. I am not sure why they would need it at unless they were arresting me and even then I have my doubts.

It appears the FHP do think an SSN is an ID. It appears they ask for it in almost any service they provide. Check this out:

https://www.flhsmv.gov/contact-us/

I wonder if responding with “Go pound sand” would be adequate.?

Any person, including a police officer, may ask for your information. What you CHOOSE to give is another story.

In this case, I would have offered nothing more than my last name and telephone # and would have given it to the participants in the accident, not the police officer.

These days I would think the DL would be sufficient for a witness along with a phone #. Then the officer could ask if the address provided is current. The SSN is a wealth of information for the officer. If the number does not sound familiar would ask what state you were born in. The SSN would verify on 99% of the accounts. A SSN is one of the easiest ways to run a party through NCIC and check them through every state, HI & AK included. Then their name, DOB, could be check through the same system for verification. 

But a Florida officer has to follow procedure what ever that may be.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have a procedure. It involves the word “No” and a smile.

I like the folks that tell you that it's policy.

That's when I explain that not giving out my Social Security Number to ANYONE that I don't have to is MY policy.

Calamity,

Maybe he was just trying to get your number. :P 

1573996083_PoliceOfficer.png.1a76dc99f97bc07460df577b96f4a100.png

Albeit the wrong one! :o

6 hours ago, Smoken D said:

These days I would think the DL would be sufficient for a witness along with a phone #. Then the officer could ask if the address provided is current. The SSN is a wealth of information for the officer. If the number does not sound familiar would ask what state you were born in. The SSN would verify on 99% of the accounts. A SSN is one of the easiest ways to run a party through NCIC and check them through every state, HI & AK included. Then their name, DOB, could be check through the same system for verification. 

But a Florida officer has to follow procedure what ever that may be.

I thought that might have been the case.  It is also much faster to write that down than address etc. 

Thanks for the info.

25 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hmmm! Even Medicare no longer puts a SSN on your Medicare card. It sounds like some LE jurisdictions are behind the times.

Or they are ahead...then we'll hear: "Let me zee your pape-ahs" :lol:

Several years ago, Iowa used SSN as DLN's. Everyone knew they DLN and it was no big deal. Nothing bad happened because of it, and we all lived happily ever after.

When I was in college, in the early seventies, the teachers would post test grades on the classroom door. But it didn't say "John Smith -- D". It said "123-45-6789 -- D".

That was how they kept track of you in my college. By your social security number. It was used for everything.

But people weren't stealing your identity over the internet in the 1970s.

Times have changed.

Archived