SASS Wire Forum

Restored 1943 Northrop Flying Wing

Chantry

That doesn't look like southern California but they had one identical to that at Planes Of Fame in Chino, about 8 miles south of where we lived.  I knew people from many aerospace industries who volunteered time, effort, expertise, sweat, and muscle over about 20 years to make that bugger fly.

I think it is in SoCal. When we were at the range in Norco in the spring preparing for EOT (2004 and earlier) or, later The Ambush Behind Mill Creek, the airshow would be happening in Chino and we often saw it flying over the range. :)

I worked at Northrop (now Northrop Grumman) for 25 years and helped restore the one that was in Chino....and yes it crashed.

23 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

A lot of people put a lot of years into restoring that plane.  I'm sad for them.  It was a way of life to couple of guys I knew back in '79who spend every weekend.

It doesn't say which prison.  There are four within a couple of miles, all within three miles of where I used to live.

Watched 'er fly at the Chino air show two or three years sgo. 'Twas magnificent.  :(

We had a hanger at Hawthorne Airport that belonged to the Company that served as our restoration facility. Always had several planes in there we were working on. I used to work one evening a week and some Saturdays. There were usually 10 to 20 of us. Been over 20 years since I retired, miss the guys and the satisfaction of working on the "old " stuff. 

Archived