SASS Wire Forum

No More Civilian AR-15s From Colt

There are so many AR’s out there I don’t blame Colt. They are one of the most expensive out there so I assume they’re having a tough time selling theirs. 

Plenty others from which to choose and enjoy.

25 minutes ago, Shotgun Clay said:

It's a miracle that Colt doesn't consist of empty factories.  They're a text book case of how not to do things.

If it wasn't for their government contracts,  they would.

Coppering their bets on the next election, maybe?

I honestly don't recall the last time I saw a new Colt of any kind in a gun shop. Doesn't seem like a major loss to the industry.

8 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Which is why they're bowing out, as Colt stated in the article. The market is flooded with too many others.

Since your reply followed mine, I don't know if it was a response to mine or not. I've not seen new Colts of any kind in gun stores, either the one I work at or those I frequent locally. I get asked all the time if we have any Colt 1911s and the Colt Cobra in addition to ARs. The answer is invariably "no." I look to see if others have the same things when out, just because, and don't see them. I'm assuming they are out there, but not in particularly impressive numbers.

9 hours ago, DocWard said:

I honestly don't recall the last time I saw a new Colt of any kind in a gun shop. Doesn't seem like a major loss to the industry.

I bought a NEW Colt Cobra last year and then a NEW Colt King Cobra a few months ago at my LGS. There's several gun shops in the area and ranges and they all have new Colts. 1911's, New Revolvers (The Cobra line) and some AR's. I don't know where you're going but come up here to NE Ohio and you'll find new Colts all over!!

I'll even take you to lunch;)

Bass pro has the colt king cobra (or did til I got there) and a 1911.  I didn't ask if they had an AR.  I recall under Obama a colt AR would sell for 1100 , then Obama would talk about gun control and the colt would jump to 2000 but other brands not as much, especially the no name brands.  I recall a time even during the 2000 a piece era that safari still brought only 800.  Colt always held value on its name alone. Sad they are stopping. 

My LGS and range (where I used to work part time) has a used Colt AR for around $850.00, I'm thinking about it!:) 

12 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

If it wasn't for their government contracts,  they would.

Coppering their bets on the next election, maybe?

Hasn't FN had the govt. contracts for a few years now?

JHC

2 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Hasn't FN had the govt. contracts for a few years now?

JHC

Yes for the pistols, and Beretta before that.

21 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I thought I heard they got the contract for 16's (M-4s, whatever) but maybe I got it wrong.

JHC

I found this:

Colt will instead concentrate on fulfilling military and law enforcement contracts with its rifle manufacturing. Veilleux said the company has been awarded "significant" military and law enforcement contracts.

"Currently, these high-volume contracts are absorbing all of Colt's manufacturing capacity for rifles," he said.

This was from 2013, they have a more recent article that Colt and FN have a joint contract thru 2020.

JHC

https://www.guns.com/news/2013/02/26/fn-lands-army-m4-contract-underbids-colt-remington

The press release I heard was, suspending manufacturing of civilian models until all pending government contracts are fulfilled.  Then production will resume.  They also stated that the market currently possess several of their civilian rifles and there is no current shortage. Personally why the media release and I’d rather see increased production of revolvers.  Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I found this:

Colt will instead concentrate on fulfilling military and law enforcement contracts with its rifle manufacturing. Veilleux said the company has been awarded "significant" military and law enforcement contracts.

"Currently, these high-volume contracts are absorbing all of Colt's manufacturing capacity for rifles," he said.

And those customers do not whine about "weapons designed for the battlefield" or complain about lethality.

LL

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I bought a NEW Colt Cobra last year and then a NEW Colt King Cobra a few months ago at my LGS. There's several gun shops in the area and ranges and they all have new Colts. 1911's, New Revolvers (The Cobra line) and some AR's. I don't know where you're going but come up here to NE Ohio and you'll find new Colts all over!!

I'll even take you to lunch;)

Interesting! I've been on the lookout at both our store, and a couple of small local gun stores. I did check briefly at one larger stand alone gun store as well when I was there. I don't have any intent to buy, more just curiosity. If I make it up that way though, I'll look you up for lunch!

31 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Interesting! I've been on the lookout at both our store, and a couple of small local gun stores. I did check briefly at one larger stand alone gun store as well when I was there. I don't have any intent to buy, more just curiosity. If I make it up that way though, I'll look you up for lunch!

You’re on!!! One of the ranges/gun shops has a King Cobra and a  New Night Cobra. They also have a Colt AR for $1500.!!!Yikes!!!

Colt had exclusive rights to manufacture the M4 for the military during the early 2000s, right in the middle of two wars. They charged the government full retail... $1000 per rifle. Despite that they still went bankrupt in 2013. If that doesn't tell you something is seriously wrong with the company I don't know what else is.

You can find Colt AR's all over Texas for under a grand, 6920's go for $900 or so!?

Rye they are NOT nor ever were one of the most expensive. You want expensive I have 2 Noveske's that retailed for over $2600 apiece !!!

AND YES they are worth every penny......can't compare a Corolla to a Porsche.  La Rues are also way up there as well as KAC and a cpl others.

Colt has NEVER been a friend of gun owners, they been running on their name for far too long.

I wish they would finally go belly up, I truly do.

1 hour ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

You can find Colt AR's all over Texas for under a grand, 6920's go for $900 or so!?

Rye they are NOT nor ever were one of the most expensive. You want expensive I have 2 Noveske's that retailed for over $2600 apiece !!!

AND YES they are worth every penny......can't compare a Corolla to a Porsche.  La Rues are also way up there as well as KAC and a cpl others.

Colt has NEVER been a friend of gun owners, they been running on their name for far too long.

I wish they would finally go belly up, I truly do.

I stand by what I said. I said they were ONE OF THE MOST EXPENSIVE! I know there's others that are more expensive but they're up there compared to many others. They can't compete with $400-$500 rifles. They're concentrating on their military and LE contracts. Good for them!

Personally I love Colt firearms and I wish them the best!;)

Archived