SASS Wire Forum

Checkered Grips

July Smith

Does anyone know a grip maker that will hand checker Uberti revolver grips?  Not looking for a new grip and I do not much care for the pressed checkering available on some factory grips.  I'm looking for somebody that can hand checker my current grips.

21 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Keep in mind that after they are checkered, they will be noticeably thinner than they are now.   Anticipate it and be sure you can live with the change in width and grip.  

Why would they be thinner?

23 minutes ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

Why would they be thinner?

Because material is removed.  Go ahead and try it.  Measure thickness before and after if you don't want to believe it.  Mine were almost 1/16 thinner on both sides, and it made a very noticeable difference in the grips.  So much so that I tossed and replaced them.  

8 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Only at the bottom of the checkering, the tops stay pretty much the same.

Agree,  but the absence of material at the outside greatly changes the bulk and feel.  And if the checkering is done correctly, to sharp points, rather than flat surfaces, a small amount does have to be removed at the surface. 

But this surely isn't worth another debate and argument here.   I was just relating my experience and cautioning the OP. 

Just now, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Agree,  but the absence of material at the outside greatly changes the bulk and feel.  And if the checkering is done correctly, to sharp points, rather than flat surfaces, a small amount does have to be removed at the surface. 

But this surely isn't worth another debate and argument here.   I was just relating my experience and cautioning the OP. 

No it's not worth a debate.

My experience is different, not a noticeable difference.

3 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Funny thing is, I did try it. On stocks, 1911 and HiPower front straps, main spring housings and rifle stocks. Mine didn’t turn out any thinner.

F04AA17D-9CDD-465E-B232-849A7561C55E.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

Funny thing is, I did try it. On stocks, 1911 and HiPower front straps, main spring housings and rifle stocks. Mine didn’t turn out any thinner.

F04AA17D-9CDD-465E-B232-849A7561C55E.jpeg

Very nice work.  Did you DIY it? Great job.  But it does look a bit thinner in the photo.  Did you measure both? 

59 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Because material is removed.  Go ahead and try it.  Measure thickness before and after if you don't want to believe it.  Mine were almost 1/16 thinner on both sides, and it made a very noticeable difference in the grips.  So much so that I tossed and replaced them.  

Then somebody goofed

24 minutes ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

By the way, thank you. Yes, I checker myself

Fair enough on the measurement.  Seeing is believing.   Sorry to put you through that.   But again, very nice clean, well aligned work.   I wish I could do it like that.  Mine never looks straight, even or clean.  

Maybe that's why they were thinner? 

July, I will third the suggestion for getting them laser engraved.  They can make it like standard checkering or almost any design you might want.  Not that I've done it myself, just seen a lot of them.  I don't like the feel of checkering.  I spray my palms with antiperspirant before a match to eliminate sweaty palms.  Doesn't help much in rainy weather, though. :)

DDD,

I ain't a checkering expert, but it sounds like whomever was doing your checkering

may have messed up and had to sand them down and start all over.

1/16" on EACH panel is way too much for anyone to remove for a checkering job.

Your correct, that would make enough difference to probably discard those grips.

..........Widder

Since Altamont makes the grips for Ruger, then why not just buy a checkered pair from them.  

1 hour ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

Since Altamont makes the grips for Ruger, then why not just buy a checkered pair from them.  

I did.  That was the replacement I mentioned above.  Thx. 

On 9/20/2019 at 1:01 PM, a d texaz said:

July...... Talk about thread drift.......

Taz at laser graphics, who will probably be ad Comancheria days 2020, did the forearm on my rifle last year. it is really good.

i wanted some fine checkering where the points not sharp.  thats exactly what i got.....

take a look at my carbine, i bet you will like has work

ad

No kidding.  I'll have to take a look at your carbine at our next monthly. 

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I am going to look into laser checkering. 

Archived