SASS Wire Forum

Dillon 550B powder funnel adjustment - comments

Warden Callaway

11 minutes ago, Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409 said:

I am loading 44WCF on my 450 did not see the reason to switch it over to a 550. That said I have the Dillon powder die that I can use with my Lyman BP thrower and its set and need no adjustments. But I also have the older spring operated Dillon powder measure which someone at Dillon suggested to stick with. But I load Goex with that and sometimes you do need to clean out the funnel as they sometimes bridge, I found that was needed more when I used to shoot APP. Once my dies are set then its sort of once and done.

That's my cents

Hochbauer

I agree.   

I do more fussing with the automatic features than I gain in speed.  This morning I was rolling along and came to an abrupt stop.  Turned out the rod that pulls the primer bar back jumped off the roller guide. I should take it off as I'm not using it. 

The quick change tool heads are useful.  The loaded round kicker is ok as is the little spoke rotating wheel. 

Put a medium coarse screen in the bottom of your funnel when pouring Black MZ or APP into the powder measure.  Mine is made of some old gutter covers.  It catches the clumps and keeps them from causing the powder to bridge.  I have loaded over 20,000 rounds of 38 special loaded with 3F APP and only have a bridging issue maybe once in every thousand rounds or so since I started using the screen. It also catches the little desiccant packs.  I use a small tongue depressor to break up the clumps against the side of the funnel.  Us canned air to blow any spillage off the press.

5 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Put a medium coarse screen in the bottom of your funnel when pouring Black MZ or APP into the powder measure.  Mine is made of some old gutter covers.  It catches the clumps and keeps them from causing the powder to bridge.  I have loaded over 20,000 rounds of 38 special loaded with 3F APP and only have a bridging issue maybe once in every thousand rounds or so since I started using the screen. It also catches the little desiccant packs.  I use a small tongue depressor to break up the clumps against the side of the funnel.  Us canned air to blow any spillage off the press.

I place a small funnel with a hole about 1/4" on top of the tube hopper and dump BackMZ into the funnel and let it trickle through.  That catches lumps that I put back into the jar and reshake. 

I may try it again this winter when the humidity is lower in the reloading area. 

I found this video interesting.  Starline talking about the Dillon powder funnel die.  If I heard it right,  they will modify the funnel die for free.

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I place a small funnel with a hole about 1/4" on top of the tube hopper and dump BackMZ into the funnel and let it trickle through.  That catches lumps that I put back into the jar and reshake. 

I may try it again this winter when the humidity is lower in the reloading area. 

I found this video interesting.  Starline talking about the Dillon powder funnel die.  If I heard it right,  they will modify the funnel die for free.

I believe you heard that correctly.  I'm going to send mine off when I get back from "Back-At-Cha" in a week or so!  Only have my Sharps ammo left to load, tho' I have a ton of 45ACP to do, but have enough (I think) for the WB side match.  It should wait till I get the modified expander back.

25 minutes ago, Griff said:

I believe you heard that correctly.  I'm going to send mine off when I get back from "Back-At-Cha" in a week or so!  Only have my Sharps ammo left to load, tho' I have a ton of 45ACP to do, but have enough (I think) for the WB side match.  It should wait till I get the modified expander back.

Give us an update.  The video is four years old.  

We go to Sedalia every month or so to eat catfish at a cajun restaurant.  Starline is on same side of town.  I may have to take them a handful of powder dies. (Starline,  that is, not the catfish place.  :huh: )

Just now, Warden Callaway said:

Give us an update.  The video is four years old.  

We go to Sedalia every month or so to eat catfish at a cajun restaurant.  Starline is on same side of town.  I may have to take them a handful of powder dies. (Starline,  that is, not the catfish place.  :huh: )

Been a year or so since I was there, picked up another thousand 45 Colt cases, and then next door to pick up a thousand of my favorite coyote medicine at Sierra!  Think I mighta ate at the catfish place myself!  I'll let ya know after I call on Monday.

28 minutes ago, Griff said:

Think I mighta ate at the catfish place myself!

Lemaire's Cajun Catfish & Seafood House
3500 W Broadway Blvd, Sedalia, MO 65301
(660) 827-3563
https://maps.app.goo.gl/M8cbUUF38D3R7p639

It's on 50 highway on the west side of Sedalia. 

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Lemaire's Cajun Catfish & Seafood House
3500 W Broadway Blvd, Sedalia, MO 65301
(660) 827-3563
https://maps.app.goo.gl/M8cbUUF38D3R7p639

It's on 50 highway on the west side of Sedalia. 

Yep, I've been in Sedalia exactly ONE time, and that's the place!

31 minutes ago, Griff said:

Yep, I've been in Sedalia exactly ONE time, and that's the place!

Well, it's worth going back for.   :D.

And Starline is not far away! 

When you talk with them tomorrow,  ask if they will also enlarge the inside diameter for larger powders.  

Archived