SASS Wire Forum

Which Rotary Tumbler are you using?

McCandless

Not doing a large quantity, just 120 - 240 cases a week.  What Rotary Tumbler are you having good results with?

Thumlers Tumbler Model B

Rebel 17.

Thumlers Tumbler Model B & ceramic with a bit of dish soap for many years now

I'm using the smaller Frankford Arsenal for both 38's and 45's with the stainless steel pin media.  I'm very happy with it.  The cases come out looking almost brand new after about 3 hours in the tumbler.  Be sure to run each size separately those 38's fit perfectly inside the 45 cases and keeps them from getting clean and makes it a real pain to separate.  Using a large magnet makes getting the media out pretty easy.

FA,, why? because I found it on craigs list for $75  as new, with seperator too

Thumlers Tumbler B. When I bought mine, FA didn't make one and the Rebel 17 didn't exist. I wash 250 brass at a time. If I had to buy another I would get the Rebel 17

The Frankford Arsenal Platinum.  I generally clean about a 2.5 quart paint buckets worth of pistol brass at a time whether it be 38, 45, or 9mm.  I also like the screens FA come out with to use on the end caps for rinsing, before they did I had used little sink strainers which fit in the caps ok.  

Thumlers B or Lortone <x>12, 'cause either was less than $50 from Craigslist.  Prefer Lortone because only one thumb screw to remove/tighten. Old rockhounds may just petrify, but their stuff still gets sold off; unfortunately, more often, nowadays.

Dillons CV750, been running 26 years now almost 27. 

On 9/19/2019 at 4:57 AM, Boomstick Bruce said:

harbor freight... ive cleaned over 500 cases at a time with it... works great!!!

Which one?

5 hours ago, Smoken D said:

Dillons CV750, been running 26 years now almost 27. 

I didn't realize Dillon made a rotary tumbler.

Thumblers Tumbler, Model B. 

Here are a couple of 1-1/2-hour runs, both with 1 tsp Dawn, 1/2 tsp Lemi shine, and about 2# of SS rods.   The left batch was just under 20 lbs. total cylinder weight, including SS rods and water.  The right was about 16 lbs.  

(and yes, I tumble with spent primers in). I know these are large lots, in excess of the manufacturer's recommended max loading.   I just wanted to see if the motor and belt would hold up (they did fine) and the cases would come clean enough (judge for yourself).   The air temp when I ran these was over 100 F., so motor overheating risk was fairly severe.  

Normally I would run about half this number of cases per batch.  Notice that the lighter load did come out a bit brighter. 

(Hope the news media pundits don't see this or I'll be one of those guys you read about, caught with "thousands of rounds......") 

20190921_211713.jpg

15 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

...I know these are large lots, in excess of the manufacturer's recommended max loading. ...

I ran in excess of manufacturer's recommend max loading too.  Motor and belt, no problem.  One of the rubber drive rollers is deformed now, I'm guessing from excess heat generated from me loading in excess of the manufacturer's recommendations. :unsure:

2 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

I ran in excess of manufacturer's recommend max loading too.  Motor and belt, no problem.  One of the rubber drive rollers is deformed now, I'm guessing from excess heat generated from me loading in excess of the manufacturer's recommendations. :unsure:

Thx.  Good to know.  Like I said, this was an exception.  Normally I run half that amount.  

Archived