SASS Wire Forum

You can only have one cooking pan

Alpo

If I only had one...

The government will never regulate pans in this fashion. It’ll be all or nothing. That’s why everyone reading this needs to join the National Pan Association. The NPA fights on a daily basis for our rights to keep and own pans...that’s right mister. There is an “S” at the end of that word “pan” and don’t you forget it! :P

Oh, and I would want a 3 quart saucepan if I could only have one...:D

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

So many want the cast iron fry pan, an assault weapon!

My Dad told me many years ago to never buy a woman a pan that you wouldn't want to be clobbered with. :lol:

I responded with "Maybe if you didn't do so many things that you deserve clobbering you wouldn't have to worry about it." ;)

Yeah, I was a smart alec little kid....

2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Sunbeam electric skillet  B)

LL

I'm with LL; however, we have the Corning Ware Electromatic Skillet which comes with the casserole dish and lid.

429695363_CorningWareElectromaticSkilletwithCasseroleandLid.png.8b7de9391dae33ec5b56b30e2d574572.png

You can cook almost anything.     221283994_CorningWareSkilletmenu.png.40ec682d44fd368131af5ed674038f40.png   :o

AND: The Casserole can be used in the oven, freezer or microwave. :D

1 minute ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

I'm with LL; however, we have the Corning Ware Electromatic Skillet which comes with the casserole dish and lid.

429695363_CorningWareElectromaticSkilletwithCasseroleandLid.png.8b7de9391dae33ec5b56b30e2d574572.png

You can cook almost anything.     221283994_CorningWareSkilletmenu.png.40ec682d44fd368131af5ed674038f40.png   :o

And qualifies you to be a Baptist.

2 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

And qualifies you to be a Baptist.

Marshal,

Actually we're Presbyterian. :P

All GOD's children should know how to cook. ;)

AMEN! 

11 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

One of these might do nicely

Image result for chefs

Pat:

Soon they will be extinct.....

2 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

You can cook almost anything.        :o

I have one of those, Kit. I haven't used it in years. I also had an avocado green Sunbeam fry pan. It was great for frying chicken. I got rid of it when I got sick of avocado green. I had an electric wok. Never used it. I also have a cast iron Dutch oven. I used it once to make corn bread. I bought it after the big power failure in NY as, if needed, I could use it on the wood stove or BBQ.

Give me a few days to pick a favorite. I'm thinking like Joke 'um about heating water in the microwave and Marshal Mo about having a cast iron double as a weapon.

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If I only had one...

The government will never regulate pans in this fashion. It’ll be all or nothing. That’s why everyone reading this needs to join the National Pan Association. The NPA fights on a daily basis for our rights to keep and own pans...that’s right mister. There is an “S” at the end of that word “pan” and don’t you forget it! :P

Oh, and I would want a 3 quart saucepan if I could only have one...:D

3  quart Dutch oven with feet and a lid is more versatile, but I like your thinking.  A 3 quart Dutch oven is large enough for a single guy to do anything but boil your laundry, and small enough to still be portable.

If you have guests make it a BYODO party.

5 hours ago, bgavin said:

InstantPot™

I really like ours.  After the Tubbs Fire in 2017 we bugged out, and like a good little boy I turned off the gas.  Got home, and, again being a good little boy, called PG&E to get the gas turned back on.  After all, the Powers That Be told us to have the professionals turn it back on.  This was something like 12 October.  Got told that it wouldn't happen until 31 October.  OK, pain in the butt, but HEY! we have electricity. Used the Instant Pot to heat water, then put our big crock pot in the bathroom and filled it with hot water and set it on Warm.  Used that for bathing.  Our ancestors made due with sponge baths, wouldn't kill us.  
Used the Instant Pot for all our cooking.  

After about four days of that Lisa said, "Can you turn the gas back on?"  In a flash I was out the door and slowly turned on the gas.  Then checked all the pilots.  A few hours later we were celebrating with hot showers and fresh baked bread.  
The next day Lisa called PG&E to cancel the appointment for the 31st.  The person she talked with was shocked that we had been told the 31st because our area was one that was supposed to be expidited for stuff like that.  One of their guys came out the day after that, she told him I had turned it back on.  He was skeptical (not that it is all that hard to do) until she told him I used to be a handyman.  Then he did a pro forma check, and pronounced it Good.  Only thing was he turned the water heater back down to about 105 F, which I guess is the standard anymore.  I found that out when I tried to shower after running a load of laundry.  "Why is there no hot water?"  Went out and checked - yep, way the heck down.  I cranked it back up.  Now we can do laundry, run the dishwasher, AND shower and still have hot water.

6 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Giada De Laurentiis- enough to motivate you to start hanging out in the housewares department...

LL

Loved her shows until I learned that she spits out everything.  The thought of making a lovely dinner for her with her studio crew standing by with a spit bucket.........

On 9/20/2019 at 3:47 PM, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I love an electric skillet, but if I could only have one pan....a 5 qt dutch oven, cast iron, of course.  

Ditto, I have something similar with a recessed dutch lid thats 3.5 qt but it has a handle.  Some call them country or spider skillets.  Here's one on eblay.

Spider skillet

Archived