SASS Wire Forum

Stevens 235 opinions?

Idaho Bob

I was just offered a Stevens 235 external hammer 12ga from my local gunsmith. He is replacing the stock at the moment and just fabricated new hammers for it. Barrels are 20 inches and lacks a bead sight, so I’m assuming they were cut. I’ll need to have him install a bead sight.  No set price yet...

I was told about a thread on the wire that was discussing the tendencies of these shotguns to come apart in your face, but I’m unable to find it. Does anybody have any experience with these?  I understand the heavy springs make them less “gamey” but that really isn’t my concern at this point.  Sure looks like a nice old double for Brass BP shells and would be good until I learn to shoot faster (If that happens at all).  What are your experiences with this model?  Is it a good SG to pick up, or better to pass on it? 

Thanks for the help!

-IB 

I had several of them used to shoot them nice little double never had a problem with them except the hammer springs are really heavy . Got rid of them when the TTN's came out .

Woodfox

I’ve owned Three and still have one as a back up to my TTN. You must have confused the 235 with another double on the blow up part. They are built like a tank. Unlike most old hammer guns they have a very  robust box lock action and really heavy duty steel barrels.

If the all coil spring action were not so hard cocking they would be almost perfect for our sport. Would recommend highly if speed is not your goal. 

Ps; Ask the smith if he can lighten the springs on it. If he can let me know I may send mine to him to modify!

Used one for years. Only problem I ever had as for mechanical issues was the left firing-pin broke. I turned a new one and continued using it for several years.
The only design flaw I found were the free floating firing-pins. If you held the stock in a downward position and tried to close the LOADED barrels the firing-pins would protrude from the action and the rim of the cartridge would hit a firing-pin and foul up the closing. I solved that by creating springs for the firing-pins to prevent them from protruding from the action.

Loved to old beast.

They are good, reliable old shotguns.

I've had several through the years.

I love hammer doubles!

Just realize that you will be a lot slower with one. compared to a TTN or CZ 

If you are OK with that, then have at it!

--Dawg

Thank you gentleman. I appreciate your responses. I couldn’t find anything online to support what I was told, but I had a hunch that several folks here have had some dealings with this shotgun.  I appreciate it.  Speed is not an issue for me at this point. I’m new to the sport. Though it would be fun to be a bit more competitive, I’m having fun learning for now. 

Bull Skinner,  I will ask him about the springs and report back. 

-Idaho Bob 

Still using mine with-out an issue , they are Stoutly build guns , that go Bang every time you pull the trigger.... I have used mine for Cowboy full length for about 15 years with 4.3 CC of Goex 3F under 4.3 CC of shot .....  Or using Winchester " Heavy Target " target loads or the like if using smokeless ....

Yes the hammer springs are heavy, but the trigger pulls are just fine and it isn't primer fussy ....

Overall a very fine but Not fancy working Gun .....

I consider it a better gun than any of the Chinese made guns ....

Mine out lasted it's first two owners and will out last me as well ....

Jabez Cowboy  

2 hours ago, Idaho Bob said:

Thank you gentleman. I appreciate your responses. I couldn’t find anything online to support what I was told, but I had a hunch that several folks here have had some dealings with this shotgun.  I appreciate it.  Speed is not an issue for me at this point. I’m new to the sport. Though it would be fun to be a bit more competitive, I’m having fun learning for now. 

Bull Skinner,  I will ask him about the springs and report back. 

-Idaho Bob 

Don't shorten the springs , the only way to lighten them is to reduce the O.D. of them. I also tried Ruger hammer springs and they didn't set off the primers . Just exercise your thumbs and have fun with that old gun.

nice read - i just got one with "riverside arms" label , but i think that's what it is and i had my gunsmith cut it and refit the bead , i think i'm going to like shooting it , i've always shot a stoeger coach that i bought when i retired the stevens 511 started with , its long barrels were a hindrance but it was my fathers pheasant gun so i gifted it to my nephew , 

2 hours ago, watab kid said:

nice read - i just got one with "riverside arms" label , but i think that's what it is and i had my gunsmith cut it and refit the bead , i think i'm going to like shooting it , i've always shot a stoeger coach that i bought when i retired the stevens 511 started with , its long barrels were a hindrance but it was my fathers pheasant gun so i gifted it to my nephew , 

That’s awesome. I sure do like what I’m seeing. I really wanted an exposed hammer double, but really didn’t want another Chinese repro. I had a CIA 1878 for a short time, but it was really heavy and bulky. Worked well, but felt like a tank. Lol 

If the price is right once the work imhas been completed, I’ll be acquiring the 235. :) 

-IB 

Used one for years, loved it to much to cut the barrels. Arthritis caused the sale. If you cock one hammer after the dump while loading [on the way down] and the other hammer on the way up to shoulder it'll mitigate some of the time loss.

On 9/18/2019 at 10:59 PM, Idaho Bob said:

...until I learn to shoot faster (If that happens at all). ...

I love shooting old shotguns so if this one trips your switch buy it.

But you are never going to learn to shoot fast on slow guns.  You learn to shoot fast by putting in a lot of practice time on the range with fast guns.  You will see a lot more SKBs, BSSs, and tuned Baikals and Stoegers in the champions’s carts than Stevens 235s.

It is a question of goals, and only you can answer it.

I don't worry about altering the hammers or the springs.  You are allowed to cock the hammers at the loading table so it doesn't make any difference how tall the hammers are or strong the springs are for the first two shots.  

Most of these old doubles had rebounding hammers. Mess with the springs and they may not rebound to safety notch. Also, go too far and have a spring too weak or break, it may be impossible to find a replacement.  

On 9/19/2019 at 8:45 PM, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

I believe Driftwood Johnson knows a lot about them. I'd send him a PM.

Howdy

I have a bunch of old Stevens shotguns but I don't have a Model 235. I have a couple of Model 311s, a Model 355 and a Model 250.

Stevens made solid shotguns for a modest price. Nothing fancy, but they were well made and would last forever if treated well.

The 311s had a locking lug between the barrels that can interfere with loading two shells with one hand in a hurry.

Stevens311extractor.jpg

For a while I was shooting the Model 355 at the bottom of this page. It has twin 30" full choke barrels, so I had to make sure I actually aimed at the targets. Please don't tell me about 'pointing' a shotgun, I have been shooting trap for over 20 years. In CAS the targets are usually not moving, and I aim my shotgun no different than a rifle. Anyway, the Model 250 at the top of the photo has been my Main Match shotgun for quite a few years now. It is a hammered sideplate gun, not a boxlock.

Stevens355and250.jpg

Another look at my Model 250. Before I owned it, somebody cut the barrels down to 24", so both barrels are cylinder bore now.

stevens%20hammergun%2001_zpsribrgwxi.jpg

The hammer gun has a lug between the barrels too. Not the same as on the 311s, but it also can get in the way of fast reloads. Not that I care.

Hammered%20Double%20Extractor_zpssg4gy2d

By the way, like most field guns these were often set up with a modified choke on the right for the front trigger, and a full choke on the left for the rear trigger. The idea was the first shot would probably be closer. If you needed a second shot, it would probably be from farther away.

Hey Jabez: I know we have gone around in circles about the model number of my hammer gun.  The only thing stamped on it is 305, which I am pretty sure is the serial number. I have a reprint of an old Savage catalog and I don't find a picture of my gun in it. There is an illustration of the Model 235 boxlock hammer gun. Do you remember what model you think mine is?

IMG_0351_parts_sized.jpg

I don't know if the model numbers are a clear indication of design type.  I have two 225s that are clearly marked 225 but they lock up substantially different.  I think one has the monoblock barrel system and the other a chopper style.   I have several of these old Stevens doubles and I wouldn't expect the forend to interchange with the bunch. 

Driftwood, Here I go talking you up as the go to guy, and it's a model you don't have.:lol:

Funny thing is that not knowing what I needed for CAS, it is the shotgun I started with. Bought it used from a club member who owned a gun store. Like a dummy, I asked him to cut the barrels. Don't know he didn't try to talk me out of it, but he didn't. Used it for two years, then got a Stoeger.  I really don't know why I've kept it this long as I'll never use it. I should probably sell it. 

that looks just like the one i got - i too have the arthritic thumbs but im determined to keep having fun shooting this game and the hammered double has been on my list for years - i will shoot it as long as i am able and 'spell' it with the other when the thumbs complain too much , 

I like the 311, have had several over the years.  The big problem with a very will used one is the locking lug wears.  I have welded up and recut a half dozen over the years.  I personally will not cut the barrels if the ends are good and not to thin.  I like the long barrels so will pass if 20" or under.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:48 PM, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Driftwood, Here I go talking you up as the go to guy, and it's a model you don't have.:lol:

Funny thing is that not knowing what I needed for CAS, it is the shotgun I started with. Bought it used from a club member who owned a gun store. Like a dummy, I asked him to cut the barrels. Don't know he didn't try to talk me out of it, but he didn't. Used it for two years, then got a Stoeger.  I really don't know why I've kept it this long as I'll never use it. I should probably sell it. 

I just sent Driftwood some Photos of My Stevens 235 , I have no idea of how to post them to the Wire ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived