SASS Wire Forum

Spencer 56-50 problems.

Seth Bullock

Hello SASSwire, long time lurker from down under (New Zealand)

I shoot Frontiersman in a very small club in a very small town.  I have a deep love of all blackpowder firearms.

I recently took possession of my new Spencer rifle in 56-50, I had already got some brass and dies and a new mould from OldWestBullet moulds (absolutely fantastic) so rushed to the shed and cranked some rounds out for practise. 

Having read TwoFlints excellent Spencer guide, I knew about the sensitivity to OAL and the particular idiosyncratic nature of the Spencer. 

Stepped to the line, hammer back, brisk work of the action...and the action promptly exited the receiver. Not to worry, I’ve read about this, needs a shim under the breech block. Spent some time finding the right thing, so of course, multiple disassemble later, it’s working as it should. Feeding well and smooth. On the next range trip, the second working of the lever and..pop. The lever is in my hand and the  lever to breech screw is in the mud.

I have been in touch with Taylor’s to try to get a replacement, not huge amounts of luck. My question is, does anyone have a lever to breech screw they could measure for me and let me know the dimensions. That way I can source one for myself.

Much obliged, Seth

Please send a PM to Jackson Longstreet.  He is one of the top guys in the NSSA (Civil War shooting competition).  He is probably one of the most knowledgeable experts on the Spencer rifle in the U. S..  If you have trouble getting hold of him, please PM me and I will sent you his email address.

Let him know that Tennessee Mongo recommended him.

Archived