SASS Wire Forum

Ever have two accidents off-set each other?

Early in our marriage, my wife and I lived in a trailer park in Columbia, South Carolina. :wub:

We had recently purchased our first brand new vehicle - 1977 Chevrolet Camaro. ;)

Not long after, we discovered that someone had kicked in the right rear panel over the wheel well which resulted in a major dent. :angry:

We could not prove it, :ph34r: but the trailer next to us always had loud parties, and we believe someone got drunk and thought it funny to kick our car.

Being newlyweds, money was tight and we really couldn't afford to have the damage fixed right away. :(

It was several of months later, when we were stopped at a traffic light on a side road facing a major highway, when to our left, we saw an 18 wheel tractor trailer approaching the intersection in front of us. That's when we noticed that one of the right rear wheels of the truck literally fell off and started rolling through the intersection along side the truck. :o

As it started to slow, it made a beeline for our Camaro. Unable to go forward on a red light, and vehicles behind us, we could only watch in horror as it got closer, slowing almost to where it started to wobble, and as it barely cleared the front of the car, the wobbling caused it to turn, roll past the passenger door, and come to a complete stop, falling.........

...on the right rear panel of the Camaro right above the wheel well! :P

The tire stood taller than the top of the truck and did quite a bit of extensive damage over and above what was already there, which was an ugly dent. 

Processed a claim against the Trucking Company and insurance paid for the repairs. :D

Do you have a similar story of two accidents in which one off-set the other? 

**Added from subsequent post - Thanks Alpo.

12 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

and I assume you did not mention the prior damage to the insurance company?  Just took their money as if your car was not already damaged?  So you are bragging here about committing insurance fraud?  I was going to message this to you rather than make us both look like the total asses we apparently are-but I guess I have been so mean to you that you blocked me from messages (Even though I don't believe I ever sent you anything other than a friendly message)

@J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE,

I never block anyone from sending a PM or responding to a Post (unlike others we know). Hate mail just gets PDF'd and put in a separate folder. :ph34r:

My mailbox was at 100% which should have allowed your message to go through; however, I just cleaned up a few PM's and got it down to 96% should you wish to PM later. I'll back you up on you having never sent a negative PM. ;)

As for bragging, I don't believe so. Insurance fraud, in this particular case, no way. The tire stood taller than the top of the truck and did quite a bit of extensive damage over and above what was already there, which was an ugly dent. 

The Post was meant to prompt similar situations that others may have encountered.

I believe that is what we do here in the SALOON, share tales of woe, accidents, joy, happenstance, etc. 

Some look for the good in others, others look.......:angry:

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

As for bragging, I don't believe so. Insurance fraud, in this particular case, no way. The tire stood taller than the top of the truck and did quite a bit of extensive damage over and above what was already there, which was an ugly dent.

My experience with insurance companies is that they'll do anything to weasel out of a claim. I had one flat out lie and say that I hit the other party, when in fact my vehicle was still sitting in its parking space. And then another company tried to avoid paying for damages to my pickup when they claimed the vehicle was in too poor a condition (the paint was all faded). I'm not trying to justify lying to the insurance company, nor am I playing devil's advocate here, but in my view FKCGG's car was damaged by the truck's tire and that is that. Disclosing the fact that there was prior damage in that spot would most likely have given the insurance company an avenue to worm out of paying for the damage their client caused.

6 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

My experience with insurance companies is that they'll do anything to weasel out of a claim. 

Ya think?

I was once sitting at a red light in a VW Jetta.  Light changed; before I could shift into first gear, a fella comes zipping along and rear-ends me at a speed the CHP estimated to be 35+ mph.  Hit so hard it punted my car over a set of divider berms, where I ricocheted off a tree-grinder trailer towed by a large truck, snapped the tree-grinder loose from it's truck and tossed me back over the divider berm - which was preferable to going over the embankment the tree-grinder saved me from.

Jetta's stern was crushed entirely up to the bottom of the back window.  Impact was so severe it broke the circuit board in the expensive aftermarket radio....  The impact was so hard that the driver's seat broke free, and it and I bounced about the interior like a giant spoon and a bean in a can until it eventually came to a stop, when I managed to grab the emergency brake handle as I floated past it.  Car was a total loss.

Anyway, AAA wanted to allow me a Geo Metro rental for up to a month, until we replaced the Jetta.  I said nope... and rented a Taurus.  No way was I going to drive my family around in a tin can.

End of the month, we'd bought a new Jetta.  I returned the Taurus, paid for it, and took the receipt to AAA for a reimbursement.

Agent argued that they only authorized a Geo Metro; I countered with the argument above.  Agent then argued "Well... OUR insured client claimed that YOU were at fault, and YOU sideswiped HIM!"

I looked at the agent, and asked, "Have you read the police report?  And did you look at the pictures?"

He sniffed, "There are no pictures.  And we have not been able to get a copy of the CHP report."

"Well, Ace - here ya go!" I said, reaching into my briefcase.  I handed him a bunch of pictures of the Jetta and an official copy of the report.

"Note that the CHP describes the accident as the other car striking me from the rear, with me being at at a standstill.  And note that the pictures support that, clearly illustrating that the stern of my automobile was entirely destroyed.  Now... can you explain to me how I supposedly sideswiped 'your' client?  Oh... and by the way... I am ALSO your 'insured client!'"

Dude turned a deep red... got out of his chair... and grumbled "I'll be right back with your draft."   

Back in ‘70, I was pursuing a claim against a driver whose car came at me sideways on a snowy road. His adjuster said “ my client says you swerved and you say he swerved, there are no skid marks because of the snow.”  I replied “his bumper was shortened, if I had swerved I would have torn it backwards, and, perhaps your client didn’t tell you but the State Police took him downtown.”   “I’ll get back to you.”

45 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

My experience with insurance companies is that they'll do anything to weasel out of a claim. I had one flat out lie and say that I hit the other party, when in fact my vehicle was still sitting in its parking space. And then another company tried to avoid paying for damages to my pickup when they claimed the vehicle was in too poor a condition (the paint was all faded). I'm not trying to justify lying to the insurance company, nor am I playing devil's advocate here, but in my view FKCGG's car was damaged by the truck's tire and that is that. Disclosing the fact that there was prior damage in that spot would most likely have given the insurance company an avenue to worm out of paying for the damage their client caused.

I agree with what you say about insurance companies. The only thing lower on the whale poop scale is collection agencies.

HOWEVER

Nowhere in Father Kit's original post does he say the truck tire caused more damage.

The way his post reads to me, is some jerk kicked a dent in his car, then a tire came off a semi, rolled up to and leaned against his car in the area of the dent, whereupon he claimed his car was damaged by the truck tire, and collected from the insurance company. Straight up insurance fraud.

Now if that's not what actually happened, he needed to have phrased his post differently.

23 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I agree with what you say about insurance companies. The only thing lower on the whale poop scale is collection agencies.

HOWEVER

Nowhere in Father Kit's original post does he say the truck tire caused more damage.

The way his post reads to me, is some jerk kicked a dent in his car, then a tire came off a semi, rolled up to and leaned against his car in the area of the dent, whereupon he claimed his car was damaged by the truck tire, and collected from the insurance company. Straight up insurance fraud.

Now if that's not what actually happened, he needed to have phrased his post differently.

Alpo,

It was clarified in the response to J. Mark as follows:

The tire stood taller than the top of the truck and did quite a bit of extensive damage over and above what was already there, which was an ugly dent. 

What would be funny is if a Pard is reading these post and suddenly remembers

getting drunk in a South Carolina trailer park back in 77.   He got mad at his girl friend, who

drives a camaro, and kicks a car, which he thought was her's.

And then several months later, he becomes a semi-truck driver that has a wheel brake off

at an intersection.   The wheel rolls across the intersection and bust a 1977 camaro in the wheel 

well area.

:)

..........Widder

Light snow had stopped falling. Road is slightly snow covered.

I'm stopped in a dedicated left turn only lane, with a stop light, waiting for the on-coming  traffic to clear.

Fellow rear-ends me and tells the responding LEO he was following the curb line, instead of the road.

He smelled of beer.

My insurance company tries to hold me 75% to blame for the accident, because: "You were making a left turn!"

I got loud with those friendly folks with Good Hands and asked if the adjuster had actually read the Police report.

Archived