SASS Wire Forum

How do you stay dry?

Clay Thornton

12 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

And at work (farming & logging) I don't often have the options to stay home or cover up.   

I had the same work conditions as a Marine. I did what I had to do then, but I never liked it, and now I don't have to. Fun in the rain ranks right up there as "military intelligence" and "fun run" as contradiction in terms.

Rain slicker, hat protector, water proof gloves,  rifle and shotgun , (leave on till you are staging your firearms), can of rem guard or WD-40, when you stage your firearms don't look down and drop all that water from you hat into your actions, spray protective lubricants after each day throughout the actions, be ready to strip and clean once home,(and I don't mean you).  During the hail storm at Winter Range my brother Tom Elder was up to shoot and son Cody James was loading on an open table.   I had an extra rain slicker to put over Cody's firearms and my brother took his off and covered his. Tom Elder was cold and shaking while Cody stayed warm.  Be prepared Once we got the ok to shoot again, we uncovered everything and surprisingly everything was fairly dry, other than Tom.  Be prepared.

I have an oiled Outback duster and a wool hat with wire in the brim. At Stampede in Jean Nevada, I had a wind string installed. I mention the wire its brim and that enables it to hold its shape.

Here it is during a sleet, hail, and snow storm at the W. Regional at Chimney Rock in Lucerne Valley. It was a month later (November) than usual to honor Dale Evans birthday. That is Jailhouse Jim and Howdy Doody with me. :wub: 

Jailhouse Jim, Allie Mo, and Howdy Doody on Friday lightene.jpg

My old Felt hat has been getting wet both from Snow, Sleet and Rain and used to water my horse for about 40 years it is sun and weather faded but it don't seem to care .... I use a slicker fer me and a Black bag for the Cart ,,,,,, as for my guns they seem to live in Balistol ......

I shoot FCD , the guns need a wipe on the stock just before Staging  them as they get rather slick when wet ....

The guns need cleaning at end of shooting anyway .....

Hat condoms make me snicker .....

Jabez Cowboy

On 9/18/2019 at 6:03 PM, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

When it's raining I wear a house!

I like that.

I used to show up with the rain slicker and all the other stuff to stay dry, but these days it is no longer any fun standing around in the rain for five or six hours. I remember one state match where we were wading through puddles at some of the stages. You can't have the whole posse hiding under shelters trying to stay dry, some have to do the work. These days if the prediction is rain, I just roll over and go back to sleep.

PLUS ONE too Driftwood.

I also wore out quite a few motorcycles traveling in the UK and Europe.  I own the finest Rain Suit on the planet.  I don't ride a bike inna rain anymore either.

Hat condoms kept the moisture out one way or another.  Laugh on.  $5.00 condom rather than $40.00 to reshape.  Just cannot find one to match my slicker!!!!!

Yeah them there hat condoms remind me of clear plastic seat covers over vinyl upholstery in the 50’s and 60’s.

They is ignorant as hell! 

If if you buy a cheap hat they might work. If you buy a good hat you don’t need em or the laughter you get behind your back!

WalMart bags over my feet & socks... inside the outer footwear.  As long as my feet are dry, the rest is impervious to moisture.  Although... wet slippery guns are a hazard...

At my local. We scram. If you're out there when it gets muddy, you're gonna be there when it drys up a week or so later.

Wouldn't you know it all that threat of rain at  Gunsmoke and we maybe had five minutes of very light rain. Got my trash bag and poncho ready for nothing!  

With that being said great shoot, great people, and we lucked out on the weather. 

Thanks for everyone's help I will be ready for the next rainy shoot!!!

To stay dry I have four cute college girls each holding a leg of a 10x10 canopy to keep it over me safely out of the rain. A fifth holds a dry towel just in case.

I hope you are on high ground

Major BS

37 minutes ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

To stay dry I have four cute college girls each holding a leg of a 10x10 canopy to keep it over me safely out of the rain. A fifth holds a dry towel just in case.

I hope you are on high ground

Major BS

Are the girls attired in period correct swimwear, or something more modern?!?! :wub:

Archived