SASS Wire Forum

How do you stay dry?

Clay Thornton

Me: Oilskin duster and a 100% beaver hat (some use plastic hat covers)

Cart: Rugger Gear Cover, though plastic trash bags and patio furniture covers work too

Guns: Leather dust covers though I may get some rain in guns while shooting so I use WD40 on blued guns to displace moisture from the actions of blued guns.

If colder, an oilskin duster.  Warm, one of the yellow (fish) jackets.

Hat either a good quality beaver-mix hat or one of the plastic hat covers over my straw hat.

For the guns, I treat them with either Frog Lube or Seal1.  That has protected exceptionally well for me.

I have a slicker for myself and I carry a couple of 55 gallon weed and leaf bags to put over the cart.

I stay away from areas that precipitate frequently. And, I carry large trash bags in my cart. Umbrellas don't last long around here due to the high velocity vacuum coming from Nebraska.

4 minutes ago, Assassin said:

I stay away from areas that precipitate frequently. And, I carry large trash bags in my cart. Umbrellas don't last long around here due to the high velocity vacuum coming from Nebraska.

You're saying Nebraska sucks in such a pleasant way.

Sitting here in the drought belt I have to ask...what is the rain you talk about?:huh:

Assassin, not to sure about that desert thing, dang near drowned last year right before BorderTown and after the last few years, seems WR gets wet quite often while the cowboys are in town.

Like the rest have said, slickers and trash bags although I dont think the trash bags are period correct and certainty not one with a logo on it like Glad or Hefty.:lol:

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

I have a slicker for myself and I carry a couple of 55 gallon weed and leaf bags to put over the cart.

Yep, that and a good hat works great.....keep  couple of dish towels to wipe guns and hands when needed;)

PLUS ONE too Rye Miles AND Marshal Hangtree

I personally quit shooting in the rain 12 - 15 years ago.  This game is suppose to be FUN.  Being WET is in no way FUN!!  

3 hours ago, Clay Thornton said:

So I'm headed up to Gunsmoke tommorow and not to jinx the match but it looks like it's going to rain on Saturday! 

What are your tips and tricks for keeping yourself, your cart, your guns dry?  

Don't know if you seen me last Saturday when it started to rain on the last stage... My yellow slicker is always in the truck with a small tarp rolled up inside of the slicker and a small umbrella. When it starts I unroll it put tarp over the gun cart and slicker on me. My hat is a beaver blend so I don't worry about it and it gives me a chance to clean & reshape it. Keep extra stuff to a minimum. No brass pickers or other stuff to get in the way while reaching under tarp for guns. I use Ballisol to treat guns afterwards. I'm going to either leave the phone in the truck or keep it in a ziplock bag. I have a couple small cloth rags in the cart. 

Hahahaha, I live in Georgia... dry? What's that?

When it's raining, I have an umbrella on the cart and wear a slicker.

The humidity is so high here... raining or not, you do not stay dry.

All the local matches have enough cover to park your carts out of the rain every stage, so the focus is on staying dry between stages and minimizing exposure when shooting or doing posse duties.

Depending upon temperature I wear a light or heavy long coat and have a decent hat that sheds rain. Moving between stages I either use a trash bag, as other’s have mentioned, or I drape my coat over the cart. I always bring a towel for wiping down guns after a match, usually with CLP, but on rainy days I use WD 40.

Most loading and unloading tables around here are covered, or can be, so other than the tables getting wet that’s not an issue. A bandanna helps. I usually have two.

I was born in water and my skin is waterproof.  And at work (farming & logging) I don't often have the options to stay home or cover up.  When it rains (and isn't freezing), I usually take layers off, rather than put more on.  Driving home wet isn't that big a deal to me.  That's what truck heater blowers and home showers are for. 

As for guns, I just let them get wet, shoot them, and take them home, where I always disassemble and clean them after every day of shooting.   The water doesn't hurt them one bit, if you keep them properly lubricated, keep the wood protected (I use Johnson's paste wax), and don't let the weather soak into them for extended time, like overnight.   Same for ammo, within reason.  It's easy to keep it from getting soaked, with zip lock bags, but if air humidity is high, steam in the bags can be much worse than exposure directly to the rain. 

When I used to avidly hunt, there was no possible way to keep guns and ammo dry, and they never malfunctioned because of it.  So just use 'em, then clean' em up.  

I have no clue what my hats are made of.  I just let them get wet, and dry them out after I get indoors.   Works just fine.   

7 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

PLUS ONE too Rye Miles AND Marshal Hangtree

I personally quit shooting in the rain 12 - 15 years ago.  This game is suppose to be FUN.  Being WET is in no way FUN!!  

If you shoot with a lady friend....Warm showers later are always nice....

Texas Lizard

Archived