SASS Wire Forum

Well, That Was Exciting

Subdeacon Joe

Right now I'm sitting at a Les Schwab hoping that all they need to do is remount my passenger side tires.

A little damp this morning.   Hit the on ramp,  lost traction, got sideways, went 180, smacked into the curb.  

I'm fine.  Truck seems fine except for the tires.  But I'm still waiting for them to look at it.  

While waiting for the tow I watched another half dozen people fishtail in the same place. 

About 5 minutes before the tow truck showed up I watched another pickup fishtail,  get sideways,  ended up on his side about 30 yards behind me.  He's fine.

Could have been a lot worse.

9 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Let me guess...First rain in months?

Glad you are okay.

It rained here Monday.   A light mizzle this morning.   I just hit the wrong spot on the ramp.  The tow truck driver said that spot is always bad when it rains. 

Rain with the fine oil that ends up on pavement can be a deadly mix.

Around here, there are sometimes reminders that the first few minutes, after the start of rain, are the worst. 

The water/oil mixture usually washes off after a few minutes; Then there's just the danger of hydro-planing.

P.S. Glad you're OK Subdeacon.

OK, now I can have the shakes.  I tend to stay reasonably calm and together until things are dealt with, then have an attack of nerves.

Schwab was able to remount and air up the tires (tyres for those who use UK spelling), truck drives fine.  No broken axels.  No warped rims. Nothing out of alignment.

The guy who overtuned just before the tow truck got there for me asked to use my phone to call his wife.  Number is still in the Calls Made section, I'll call him in a bit to check on him.  

50 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

Glad to hear you're both OK.  It could have been much worse. 

I just called his wife and asked about him.  She said, "He has a fractured disc."  Fractured vertebra? Ruptured disc?  Still, considering what happened, it could have been much worse.  

Joe, I'm glad you and the other guy are okay! Like Kris wrote, it could have been worse.

I had a scare this week too.

Our first rain of the season was a downpour in the a.m. on Monday. On my way to Costco on Latrobe Road (for those of you who know the area), I saw a little sporty convertible getting towed out of a ditch. It was frightening for me as it was just around a corner and three cars ahead of me slammed on their brakes. I barely stopped in time to miss hitting the car in front of me, as did all of them. A policeman was already there. He really should have put cones out around the corner. I wonder if they carry them or if flares would stay lit in a downpour.

Anyone have an answer?

Every time I went to Costco last winter, it seemed to be raining. I may rethink that, especially if it is a first rain of the season.

On 9/18/2019 at 10:59 AM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

August of ‘72 I was in LA visiting my uncle Bob.  It rained for the first time in three years. Bob recommended that I not drive that day.

How is Uncle Bob? :D

Archived