SASS Wire Forum

This is a play off of the favorite and least favorite guns posts by Birdgun, Capt. Callahan and Chili Ron.

What was the gun or guns that you thought that you really really wanted because friends had them, you liked everything you read about them or you just liked the look or concept of them?

Mine:

1. Mini 14 - I wanted one of these for years until I finally had the money for one and put one to my shoulder at a gun show. Put it down and never looked back.

2. CZ75- Grail Gun. Wanted one for years until I shot one recently. I rented it. Didn’t like it. Didn’t like the controls. 

3. Browning Hi-Power - Grail Gun. Same as the CZ. Didn't like it.  Didn’t like the hammer bite.

Both the CZ and the Hi-Power have been on my list for decades. They are not now.

4. Ruger Scout Rifle - I just had to have one of these. I liked everything I read about them . Liked the concept. Was actually in the process of buying one a few months back when a guy at the gun store handed me his personal scout rifle with the forward mounted scope....Yuck! Didn’t like the way it felt. Don’t care for bolt actions anyway. My Winchester or my Marlin 30-30s are good enough.

What guns did you think you just had to have...until you didn’t? 

Had a C-96 Broomhandle Mauser for a long time. It was an interesting gun, I got a deal on it, and it sure drew attention at the range. On the flip side, the mechanics were a Rube Goldberg nightmare, it was finicky about ammo, and had a crappy trigger. Plus, even though it was a 19th century single action gun, I couldn't use it in CAS :rolleyes:

f8f25f87c1f6ab21b544276e80bc0244.jpg

(But CLINT used one!)

Found someone who just had to have a Broomhandle, and traded it for a Sig 1911UC with an IWB.

AR15. Really wanted one until I shot one.

HK91. Same thing. Just felt like frap in my arms.

Fortunately I didn't buy either of those.

4 3/4" SAA. The balance is atrocious. Funny. I've got 3 1/2, 5 1/2, 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 inch single actions, and they all feel good, but that 4 3/4 is just -- eewwww. Took a loss on those.

Cimarron Lightning. It sounded like a fine idea. Until I held one.

Taurus Thunderbolt.  Tried to get one for over a year.  Thought I would set the cowboy action shooting world on fire with one.  Two years of owning it, three trips back to Taurus, and I never did get it to run right.  Finally stood up at a match and in a loud voice announced that if anyone had a hundred dollar bill they would part with, they could own it.  Someone took me up on it...and I've never been sorry.

Remington 700 in 7mm mag. Just brutal on my shoulder

Desert Eagle in .357. What a POS.

Broomhandle Mauser (Red 9) w/detachable stock. Not bad with stock attached but was always worried about it being a SBR and could never get a clear clarification in writing from any government agency. Without the stock, it was just awkward. 

AMT .45 backup. Very un-comfortable to shoot. Heavy recoil and completely useless on targets beyond 25'.

Saiga 12 shotgun. Couldn't use lighter loads and have it cycle reliably. Had to use 3" shells which was very punishing for me.

Any .44 or .50 magnum revolver. Just can't see the sense in beating myself up.

Colt snake guns.  Wanted a Python or Diamond for years.  Shot and handled a few and lost interest in them.  There SA triggers are great, but as a DA revolver I thought they were awful.  S&W K or L frame guns are the way to go for nice DA wheel guns IMHO.

M1A.  Wanted one of these rifles for years mainly because of the reputation they have with veteran friends of mine as, "the greatest battle rifle."   After shooting a few I do not understand all the hype.  I mean sure they are a cool rifle and all but they take a lot to accurize.  You can not remove them from the stock without possibly affecting zero.  They require a lot of maintenance to make reliable.  There is a big hole in the side that allows all sorts of junk into the internals.  Again the M1A is a cool rifle, and judging it within the context of the time it was originally adopted by the military it did offer improvements over the Garand, but by modern standards it is hardly "the greatest battle rifle" IMHO.

Thompson M1A1.  Always wanted one.  Could even settle for a semi auto repo.  Then I handled a few and found they balanced poorly in my hands and felt awkward to shoulder.

Desert Eagle 50cal and S&W 500.  Something about a 50cal handgun just seemed really cool at one point in time.  Handled and shot a few and realized a lever action carbine was easier to carry than either of those awkward monster handguns.  Now a Freedom Arms 454 Casull is on my grail gun list.  The FA in 454 feels and shoots great and I think represents the limit of what is still practical in a handgun platform.

I'll just say a Mini-14 was my first firearm I ever purchased with my own money. I love it, and have loved it even more after putting it in a Hogue over-molded stock. It added just enough length of pull to make it fit just right.

As for guns I thought I wanted, I can't really think of any that I was just itching to get my hands on that I ended up disappointed with. A few I was interested in trying out that after I did, I was just fine with not buying or owning. At the risk of the wrath of many, a Glock comes to mind.

S&W break actions. I thought I would get a pair, until I tried a Pards.

They just didn't feel right in my hands.

40 minutes ago, July Smith said:

M1A.  Wanted one of these rifles for years mainly because of the reputation they have with veteran friends of mine as, "the greatest battle rifle."   After shooting a few I do not understand all the hype.  I mean sure they are a cool rifle and all but they take a lot to accurize.  You can not remove them from the stock without possibly affecting zero.  They require a lot of maintenance to make reliable.  There is a big hole in the side that allows all sorts of junk into the internals.  Again the M1A is a cool rifle, and judging it within the context of the time it was originally adopted by the military it did offer improvements over the Garand, but by modern standards it is hardly "the greatest battle rifle" IMHO.

I also wanted one of these because I shot the M-14 in the Navy. Spent many a day and night with one nestled in my arms at Flight Quarters in the Motor Whale Boat (my job was to keep sharks away from flight crews if their helo went in the drink)

Years after I left the Navy I really wanted an M1A until a friend bought one and I got to shoot it. He played hell getting it to be accurate. My interest waned.

Browning BDM.  

I convinced myself I needed a 9mm that was DA/SA and had a hammer drop. Got rid of a really nice HiPower to get it. 

The grip and fit in the hand is really nice. For a 15 round 9mm, it's considerably slimmer than the Sig's and Beretta's of the day. However, trigger is clunky, too many internal levers. Browning brought this gun to market in 9mm just as the love affair with .40 S&W started.  Bad timing on their part.

I still have it and shoot it once in a while. Trigger could still be improved.

Lightning rifles, both colt and USFA both in .38-40 and neither was reliable enough to be much fun.

Some .38 Special conversion revolvers by ASM-again, liked the concept and the feel, but the reliability just wasn't there.

There are many more I would like to have back, but these 4 can happily stay in their current homes

Ruger Super Redhawk.

I was Jonesing for one, decided to hit the range in San Diego and rented one.
Bought a box of 44-mag, could hardly wait until they were gone so I could leave.

The SRH was an utter pig compared to my Ruger KGP161.

As I get old and gray, I have learned to own only those toys I play with.
No more safe queens, guns, electric basses or cameras.

My neighbor is bringing his 1895 in 45-70 to the range, so I can get that out of my system as well.
His is real pretty, but I won't ever shoot it, so no point in owning it.
He is also bringing his S&W 460, which I will laugh at, and shoot only 1x, just to do it.

This could be a long list.  Will try to keep it short.

Mossberg Shockwave, 12 ga.  Really wanted it when they first came out.  Got it.  Then, "OK, now what?"

Winchester 94, 30-30.  Had a great 336 Marlin but just had to have a "real" 30-30.  Finally got a 94.  Found out 336 was much better.  Sold 94 down the road.

Kel-Tec SUB-2000, 9mm.  Turned out to be nearly unusable for me due to weird ergos.

Every Colt I've ever owned other than Model M's.  

Every 1911 I've ever owned.  "The next one will be the one!"  Turns out it wasn't.  Turned every one loose with no regrets.

Ruger Mk III.  (Love Standards, Mk I, Mk II, and Mk IV.)

Schofield for SASS -- until I held one and found the weight way too much for my twice-repaired shoulders, lucky I got to 'try before you buy'

same with Henry 1860 -- too much strain on shoulders -- unfortunately I bought this one -- still a safe queen --  never been fired 

My unhappy ending was a Colt Python.  Bought one off a G.I. buddy.  Looked brand new.  It was a beaut.  4-inch barrel.  Just could never get a liking to the feel of the revolver and I didn't seem to shoot it very well.  Sold it to another Army buddy...that was back in 1973. 

I'd probably kept the Colt Python if I'd known the princely sums folks are paying for them today.

Taurus PT845.  Got it because I liked what I read about the 24/7 and my brother was on me to get a Taurus 1911 for a carry piece but I wanted something with left handed controls.

I never could get used to it, even though it was my carry pistol for a long time, and I was shooting it at least once a week at the range.  then I broke the slide release for the left thumb at the range even though it operates fine without it, cleaned it, put it in the safe and meant to send it to Taurus for repair... It's been in there for 7 years now.  I really should send it back to Taurus for repair and just sell the darn thing.

Beretta Jetfire in .22lr - actually then wife wanted it - she shot it once and hated it. I tried to shoot it, never could get it to cycle a full magazine, ejection problems, hard to hit a barn door consistently. Traded it for magazines for my Glock 19. 

Ruger single six - base pin would walk out every 4 to 5 shots and bind up cylinder. Probably could have fixed the issue, but was one of my first guns and that was way before the internet, and it was frustrating as heck, so I sold it too. Can't say I really regret it. Got into Glocks and 1911's and was happy with them. 

Favorites are 1911's, Glocks, Savage bolt action in .308, M1A national match, AR15's and AR10's, various shotguns, and Ruger new vaqueros and uberti 1873 - Ruger 22lr's in semi-autos, Browning BLR .22lr lever gun. Mostly just a gun whore.

Walther P-38.

Drooled over Hank's liberated Nazi piece.  Shot it... most miserably fitting handgun I've ever held.  Quite uncomfortable.

I'd still like to have one, though.  :)

Image result for walther p-38

7 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Some .38 Special conversion revolvers by ASM-again, liked the concept and the feel, but the reliability just wasn't there.

I have one of these,  an 1860 Richards. It is quite simply the most accurate handgun I've even fired.

Several others have posted a dislike for the Colt Python.  I had one and hated the feel of it, until I replaced the factory grips with a set of Herrett Shooting Stars. They fit my hand like they were made for it. I have a set on a S&W 625 in 45ACP now. I even bought another set just in case I get another N frame. 

030 - Copy.JPG

11 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I have one of these,  an 1860 Richards. It is quite simply the most accurate handgun I've even fired.

Several others have posted a dislike for the Colt Python.  I had one and hated the feel of it, until I replaced the factory grips with a set of Herrett Shooting Stars. They fit my hand like they were made for it. I have a set on a S&W 625 in 45ACP now. I even bought another set just in case I get another N frame. 

030 - Copy.JPG

Was I the only person that saw this photo before reading the post and thought “Man, if he hates this gun I wonder what he wants for it?” :D

That is a very nice revolver, Sgt.

You are not the first person I have heard say the Herrett Stocks are nice grips. 

9 hours ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

I like the idea of a .45acp revolver, but I'm just not convinced it would be real fun to shoot that beast.

It's not bad at all. It's certainly not as bad as a .44 Mangelem in the same gun. It's a little easier than a SAA in .45 Colt because it's heavier. And it's faster to reload.

Bonus! If you decide to use it as a carry gun, TWO full moon clips fit into each side of a speedloader pouch.

18 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Walther P-38.

Drooled over Hank's liberated Nazi piece.  Shot it... most miserably fitting handgun I've ever held.  Quite uncomfortable.

I'd still like to have one, though.  :)

Image result for walther p-38

I too would like to get a WW2 P.38 one day, just to have. For the moment though I have a 1940 P.08 Luger, and I'd have to say it's probably my least favorite to shoot of the guns I currently have. The grip angle is weird, the sights are non-existent, and the trigger pull feels like it's 20 pounds. It's also very fussy about what ammo I feed it.

Really really really wanted a pair of Schofields.  Then I got one.  I was finally happy.  Happy the day I sold it.  Just couldn't shoot it.

Really really really wanted a pair of USFA Omnipotent.  Pure unadulterated LUST!!  Finally had the folding green and ordered a pair in .38.  Just plain GORGEOUS!!  Could not shoot em.  Couldn't find a way to get em out of the holsters to shoot Gunfighter.  Just tickled pink the day I was able to sell em on.

Have a "thing" for conversion guns.  Just absolutely had to have a pair of ASM conversions.  Took 11 guns to get enough parts to make a pair that worked.  UCK.  Plus one to J Mark.  What crap. 

I bought two rifles at the same time from the PX on Okinawa in 1974.  Both were chambered for 7mm RemingtonMagnum, both had identical scopes and mounts and both cost about the same amount: around $275.00.  I even put identical slings on them.

1. A Remington 700ADL was a dream to shoot.  Reasonable recoil, very accurate, and everything fit very well, and it was as durable as Gibraltar.

2. A Weatherby Vanguard was much less likable in every way.  The recoil was a bit more pronounced (I never could figure out why), accuracy was more than disappointing (I even swapped the scopes from rifle to rifle with identical results), and  I had it to the shop three times in the first seven months I was back stateside for minor but unforgivable crap.

It was absolutely gorgeous, though, but I sold it anyway...for about $75.00 more than I paid for it at the PX.

I kept the Remington until we moved here about five years ago and an elk-hunting friend bought it.  I told him to make an offer and he got it for triple what I paid for it, but still much less than the going price.

His first day of hunting was his last and it only lasted three hours until a trophy bull got too close and stood to still for too long.  One shot, 125 yards, and the rest of the day getting it onto his truck and started back home.

How many pages are we allow to write.

Let start  with some items:

Makarov (380 acp) horrible triger, shoot well though.

Smith &Wesson 6906,  just me I don't shot very well with it, small sights, 5906 model no issues at all.

Bersa 380 shot well only with is in the mood, tried several ammo brands and types.

Sig Sauer 226 in .40 cal, shoot well but is a huge brick in my hand, bought a 9mm barrel to soot with it never installed.

that's it for now.

The worst was the Taurus Lightning in .45....It just never worked right.  Also the blow-back required the wearing of a welding helmet.

S&W .500: Recoil was disturbing.  Sold it, did not like the concept of detached retinas.  Certain rounds belong in a rifle.

Scandium S&W .44 mag:   Recoil was epic and should have been a .44 special.  I only fired 5 full mag loads through it and sold it.

Archived