SASS Wire Forum

I have had three lessons in 45-70 lever rifles. The first was a 1980s model 95 Marlin , a bit uncomfortable to shoot ; a contractor working at the company yard saw it , fell in love , and I was happy to let him fulfill that urge.

Next one was a beauty , one of the Browning 1886 carbines. Absolutely brutal. Oh, that steel butplate. Sold it here on the classifieds years ago.

Then another Marlin 95 , a Cowboy model 26" barrel , Marble tang sight.  Same old story , every time I shot it , it almost brought tears.

During the time of the last two , I had a Shiloh Sharps 45-70 , and it was a delight. Weight makes all the difference.

But I learned my lesson. Yea ! Little over a year ago I got a Winchester Highwall  limited series short rifle. Weighs about 7 #.:lol::lol:

Rex :D , who has a head like a rock.:P

S&W 4586, a stainless DAO 3rd gen gun in .45 ACP.  Great trigger for a revolver shooter, enough weight to damp recoil, but I just couldn't shoot it straight.

Connecticut Shotgun RBL 20 gauge.  Beautiful gun, but thick through the wrist compared to AYA's and the like.

Any plastic handgun until the recently introduced SIG P365.

Ruger over under 20ga, 45-70 quigley rifle, German Lugers, pythons, glocks.  I got rid of all of them,  just weren’t fun , lugers jammed all the time(had three) couldn’t see long distance targets never got comfortable with over under or glocks

I'm pretty cheap so i don't make that mistake often. 

Once I accidentally bought a mod 97 in 16 ga.  It was old and won't take regular shells so i had to order some expensive short ones.  I thought it was  12 ga (this was at an auction).  I have shot it, but it just doesn't run very well. 

My wife wanted a circuit judge real bad.  That's a shotgun version of the judge.  She shot it once and doesn't like it anymore.  The worst part about that one is that she won't let me get rid of it cause it's hers. 

Ruger OMV in 45 colt.  It wasn't so much that I didn't like it, but I soon questioned why I wanted it in 45 colt.  It was a waste of the stronger frame, what I really wanted was 44 mag.  So I sold it.  Later I bought a pair of them in 45 colt thinking I'd use them in matches.  I didn't like how they pointed though so I sold them too.  Finally got one in 44 mag. 

I've been disappointed in my M1 Garand but I'm still not sure that I'm shooting it right.  One of these days I'll get to the range with an expert. So I'm reserving judgement till that day comes. 

I don't think the AR that I won in a raffle counts because I always knew I didn't really want it. 

On 9/19/2019 at 7:54 AM, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

It's not bad at all. It's certainly not as bad as a .44 Mangelem in the same gun. It's a little easier than a SAA in .45 Colt because it's heavier. And it's faster to reload.

Bonus! If you decide to use it as a carry gun, TWO full moon clips fit into each side of a speedloader pouch.

So, what I'm hearing is that I should get one?! 

Remington 700 BDL in 8 MM Remington Mag...

First Leupold Scope last through 20 rounds of 185 factory loads and 12 Rounds of 220 gr. factory loads then the Glass blew out of both ends ....

Put a Old Bushnell 4 power on for load development worked fine ....

Got the New replacement Leupold 3 x 9  lasted for 6 rounds of my handloads .....

Put the old 4 power Bushnell back on it ,,,,,

The Recoil was sharp and Fast a the rifle wanted to twit to the left as it rose during recoil, overall a nasty gun to shoot ....

And the only gun I have ever had to put 3 rounds into an Elk right behind the shoulder to kill .... The bullets then available were far to soft and blew-up lacking in penetration ....

I did get some of my loading data published on the Remington 8MM Mag. , way back then my first published data ..... This was the first fall after it came out ...

Traded it straight across for a Remington 700 BDL in .270 Win.

I would far rather shoot my .375 Ruger or .375 H-H  than that 8MM Mag ...

I have two Marlin .45-70's 1895 Cowboys. Sold one after shooting it a bit for a couple years. I then got a bug to get another and sold it after about 6 months. Kicks like a mule and I don't go to side matches anymore so that's that!

I also have had two different AR 15's, ONE I had twice! :oYes the same one! :wacko: I recently had a S&W M&P AR and sold that, nowhere to shoot it and I don't like 'em for self defense. Personally I'd rather a handgun which I have planted in every room!

On 9/19/2019 at 6:17 PM, Shotgun Clay said:

S&W 4586, a stainless DAO 3rd gen gun in .45 ACP.  Great trigger for a revolver shooter, enough weight to damp recoil, but I just couldn't shoot it straight.

Connecticut Shotgun RBL 20 gauge.  Beautiful gun, but thick through the wrist compared to AYA's and the like.

Any plastic handgun until the recently introduced SIG P365.

SO, you like the Sig P365, right? Cause I, like you, have hated plastic EDC handguns. But I've handled a P365 at a LGS and really liked the feel.

3 hours ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

SO, you like the Sig P365, right? Cause I, like you, have hated plastic EDC handguns. But I've handled a P365 at a LGS and really liked the feel.

The dark side is calling....;)

13 hours ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

It has a very substantial feel for a small gun.  The trigger is excellent, both on firing and reset.  It has less perceived recoil (to me) than a Walther P99 and Glock 17.

Might not be best for large hands though.

When I was 11 I thought I would die if I didn't get a Savage 24 22lr/410 combo gun.   The fever was much more intense than anything that kid  in Christmas Story experienced!  I read every advertisement in Outdoor Like, Field&Stream,  and Sports Afield.  I appealed to my the higher beings and it was a nope.. "You already have a .410 they said!"   But I need a .22 when jackrabbits are out of range,,,etc, etc.  "They are only $42.50 I implored"!     Well, that may as well been a $100K even in todays money.   I never did get one but a while back I happened upon a creampuff for only $450 which is about the going rate.   I had the cash and handled it then threw it to my shoulder, and dreamed a bit then put it down and walked away.   Funny how those urges end.

Mine was the Ruger 77/22 boat paddle that I still own.

I'm a sucker for stainless and bought this one back in the 90s.
It came with the F150TC lawyer trigger (need an F150 + tow chain to pull).

It was so damn horrid to shoot that it sat in my safe for decades.
I dropped a Volquartzen trigger kit into it and reduced the pull from 8+ pounds down to around 3.
It has not yet been to the range, and probably won't anytime soon... since I bought the Henry Frontier.

The Ruger Vaquero when they were first introduced.

Got the first stainless Vaquero that came into the area.  I just couldn't shoot it as well as my Ubertis.  I still had it when I started shooting Double Duelist and used it as my dominant hand gun.  I was missing more with my strong hand using the Vaquero than I was with the Uberti in my off hand.  Swapped to using it in my off hand.  Went back to going 4 or 5 out of 5 with my dominant hand and started missing all but 1 or 2 shots with my off hand.

I swapped it for another Uberti.

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The dark side is calling....;)

I thought that the dark side was black powder, But, now I'm starting to hear that it includes black plastic. ;)

3 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

When I was 11 I thought I would die if I didn't get a Savage 24 22lr/410 combo gun.   The fever was much more intense than anything that kid Christmas Story experienced!  I read every advertisement in Outdoor Like, Field&Stream,  and Sports Afield.  I appealed to my the higher beings and it was a nope.. "You already have a .410 they said!"   But I need a .22 when jackrabbits are out of range,,,etc, etc.  "They are only $42.50 I implored"!     Well, that may as well been a $100K even in todays money.   I never did get one but a while back I happened upon a creampuff for only $450 which is about the going rate.   I had the cash and picked it up and through it to my shoulder and dreamed then put it down and walked away.   Funny how those urges end.

When I was a kid I wanted, no, NEEDED an AR-7 .22 Survival Rifle.

I finally bought one last year. It ain't bad but it ain't great. It sure didn't "trip my trigger" when I shot it the first time.

It's okay for a backup  but it definitely isn't a plinker or a gun for shooting a whole lot.

But they're ok for killing rats at the dump at midnight....

Archived