SASS Wire Forum

NMV free spin pawl clicking

Johnny Swan, SASS #50322

I have a set of SASS NMV in 38 and i removed the small set screw and spring creating the free spin. this worked nicely for the last few years until recently one of them started "clicking" on the back spin. I have completely cleaned them and dont see anything out of the ordinary. Any ideas on the cause, i could make some guesses but im looking for someone else who may have had this happen before I start replacing things or send them out.

Swan

The front face of the pawl has worn so that the top shelf (the part of the pawl that first engages the cylinder when cocking the gun) is barely touching the ratchet on the cylinder.  You can probably fix it without taking the gun apart by removing a tiny bit of metal from the pawl using a hone or fine file.  With the cylinder out of the gun and the hammer cocked the tip of rhe pawl will stick out enough for you to carefully remove a bit of metal from the front of the pawl.  Don’t touch the top of the pawl because that would change the timing.

I disagree and would not modify the engagement portion of the pawl. Underneath on the bottom end there is a protrusion on the pawl that comes against the top of the grip frame. There will be a notch on the grip frame where Ruger sloppily fit them. TIG weld the protrusion on the pawl and reshape it to make it just a bit longer and it will freespin smoothly  as it was supposed to. 

It would probably be cheaper to buy a new pawl.  Unless of course he has a TIG welder.  For the record, I didn’t suggest he modify the engagement portion of the pawl, which would affect the timing, only to remove a couple of thousands of an inch on the part that contacts the ratchet while it is spinning, not the top that engages when cocking the hammer. That would not affect the timing.

Rugers’ design for the free spin has the tail of the pawl banging down on the frame to retract the pawl every time the hammer falls.  That is a serious wear point that dry firing makes even worse.  Looks like they could have designed a cam arrangement for retracting the pawl that would not involve impact.  Oh well.

Archived