SASS Wire Forum

Your least favorite guns to shoot (flip side of BGQ's post)

Capt. James H. Callahan

22 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

It’s either a Sears or Montgomery Wards Rifle In .270 that my son in law had and it’s very unsafe to use. It had a bad habit of firing all on its own. It’s in the back of the gunsafe for a good reason. I might dig it out tomorrow to find out which one it is. 

By chance a Jc Higgins FN Mauser?

19 minutes ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

By chance a Jc Higgins FN Mauser?

Sears and Roebuck made by J C Higgins model 50 serial 583xx.

58 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

'Tis a Mauser.  ;)

J C Higgins Discussion 

Here ya go!  :)

Timney "Mauser Sportsman Trigger"

7 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

'Tis a Mauser.  ;)

J C Higgins Discussion 

Thanks for the info. I like my Winchester model 70 Compact in 7mm-08 a lot but some day when I catch up on lots of other stuff I may replace the trigger on the old rifle.

7 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Thanks for the info. I like my Winchester model 70 Compact in 7mm-08 a lot but some day when I catch up on lots of other stuff I may replace the trigger on the old rifle.

I hear ya on the Model 70.  Mausers are pretty special, too...  

When I "sportered" my Yugoslavian Mauser, I had the bolt handle replaced with a Model 70 style.   ;)

AND a Timney trigger.   ^_^

MauserClosed.jpg.41e5553d03aa869fb2c0587cd0682a70.jpg

4 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I hear ya on the Model 70.  Mausers are pretty special, too...  

When I "sportered" my Yugoslavian Mauser, I had the bolt handle replaced with a Model 70 style.   ;)

AND a Timney trigger.   ^_^

MauserClosed.jpg.41e5553d03aa869fb2c0587cd0682a70.jpg

That bolt is much better looking than the one that’s on it. Did you do the work, trigger and bolt yourself?

15 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

That bolt is much better looking than the one that’s on it. Did you do the work, trigger and bolt yourself?

I have nowhere near the skill or talent.

John McRae, an old craftsman gunsmith in Vallejo, did it for me back in the 80's.  Sadly, I think it was his last job.

Long story short, Palouse and I visited him one day, but he at first declined; said he was too tired and ill.  He asked me what I'd wanted done, and I said I'd hoped to have the military sights removed, the bolt handle replaced with a Model 70 style, and a Buehler 2-position safety and 2-part Buehler mounts installed.

He then asked if I also wanted the barrel turned on a lathe to remove the "steps" and give it a smooth countour.  "Oh, NO!" I said.  "That would alter the stiffness!"

He looked at me for a minute, then smiled and said "Damn!  A young fella who knows what he's talkin' about!  Okay... I'll do it!  I'm having lunch with Maynard [Buehler]* on Tuesday.  I'll call 'im and have him bring the parts!"

It took a few months; then I got the call and picked up the rifle.  He passed shortly after.  

I mounted it in the stock, and installed the trigger (easy!).  The late Hank of the Kings River Regulators parkerized it for me.

*The late Maynard Buehler designed and produced high quality scope mounts, safeties, and the like.  Also known for his home.

Least favorite has to be a Keltec P11. Trigger spring like a Mack truck and mountains of recoil!

My least favorites that I have are the Ruger LCP and the S&W 442. Neither lend themselves to extended range time. But , they are not intended to be used as a sporting handgun , and they are fine for their intended role. They occasionally get a magazine or couple of cylinders of function-test ran thru just because.

Other than that they are either in the safe or in my pocket.

Rex :D

I actually forgot the king of the hill. H&R single barrel 12 ga magnum we took a pipe cutter to and made it 18 1/2 inches. Carried it in my truck for decades. Bad enough with field loads, but with 3" magnum buckshot it is quite painful. I'd have to be awful mad at a body to shoot 'em with that. I don't carry it in the truck anymore since you can't mount a decent rack out of sight in these new trucks, but I keep 2 3/4" buck in the shell holder now.

JHC

4 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Ruger Blackhawk .45   Loaded to 44 Manglem Plus velocity.  Brutal.  Don't have it anymore :ph34r:

I did that too. Still have the old 3 screw, but don't shoot those loads anymore. I pulled the last 2-3 loads cause the brass was swelling so badly.  .45 LC brass isn't designed for that kind of pressure. Since then I bought a .44 and .41 Mag, so no point.

JHC

I had to think long and hard about the least favorite I own that is least favorite to shoot. I finally had to go with a Winchester Model 101 Diamond Grade O/U trap gun. It points wonderfully, breaks birds well, and kicks like a mule. Eventually, I intend to get a Kick-Eze pad installed and try having the forcing cones lengthened. If those help the felt recoil, it may come out of my safe more often.

All things Glock.

A Ruger Bisley Hunter in .44 Mag.  Wasn't used to the grip shape, and shot a bunch of 300 gr hard cast through it.  Crushed a nerve in the web of my hand, still have a numb spot on my thumb 16 years later.

On 9/18/2019 at 9:11 PM, Yul Lose said:

On 9/18/2019 at 10:13 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

'Tis a Mauser.  ;)

J C Higgins Discussion 

I have one of those that I picked up for a couple hundred bucks recently.   Decent even though the wrist has a stout but amateurish repair....anyway its solid.  I tried bouncing mine butt first off a rubber mat and the sear held so I don't thing anyones messed with the trigger.  Am pondering sending it to JES to become a 338-06.

Howdy,

I have no use for heavy recoil guns of all types.

But my least favorite will surprise all.

a Walther .380 ppks stainless.

One trip to the range and it shot so high the bullets are still coming down.

I sold it and real easy. At five feet it was probably fine.

Best

CR

On 9/23/2019 at 5:56 AM, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

I have one of those that I picked up for a couple hundred bucks recently.   Decent even though the wrist has a stout but amateurish repair....anyway its solid.  I tried bouncing mine butt first off a rubber mat and the sear held so I don't thing anyones messed with the trigger.  Am pondering sending it to JES to become a 338-06.

The rifle that I have overall is in really nice shape. HPC revived my interest in it so I’m going to change out the trigger with a Timney and start using it. 

5 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

I can't believe how many here must love to shoot their 3 or 3 1/2 in turkey guns....especially to pattern them off a benchrest.

I loaded up two 3" magnums in a Baikal and handed it to a kid and told him to pull both triggers since he felt so tough. Boy that showed him....

6 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

I can't believe how many here must love to shoot their 3 or 3 1/2 in turkey guns....especially to pattern them off a benchrest.

I don't own anything like that and have no plans to. 

I'd take a .500 S&W lever action rifle if someone gave it to me or I could get it for a song, but I'm not paying the current asking price for one of them any more than I'm buying one of those new Standard Mfg single action clones.

4 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I loaded up two 3" magnums in a Baikal and handed it to a kid and told him to pull both triggers since he felt so tough. Boy that showed him....

Good way to cause a shotgun to be off-face and unsafe to shoot. :blink:

On 9/19/2019 at 4:12 PM, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I actually forgot the king of the hill. H&R single barrel 12 ga magnum we took a pipe cutter to and made it 18 1/2 inches. Carried it in my truck for decades. Bad enough with field loads, but with 3" magnum buckshot it is quite painful. I'd have to be awful mad at a body to shoot 'em with that. I don't carry it in the truck anymore since you can't mount a decent rack out of sight in these new trucks, but I keep 2 3/4" buck in the shell holder now.

JHC

Try it with 3 1/2 inch shells for a real thrill 

3 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Good way to cause a shotgun to be off-face and unsafe to shoot. :blink:

Yeah, but everyone on the SASS wire said Baikals were made from scrap armor plating left over from construction of Russian T-90 tanks.

That was 14-15  years or so ago, when I was about 29 or 30 and a little less wise. Since then I have learned not to believe everything I read on the internet, particularly the SASS wire.

Archived