SASS Wire Forum

Your least favorite guns to shoot (flip side of BGQ's post)

Capt. James H. Callahan

I had a real hard time picking my most favorite gun to shoot. It's a much shorter list to list the least favorite.

1. (actually a tie for 1st) Ruger M-77 synthetic stock ..300 Win. Mag.

2. Marlin Cowboy .45/70

Both of them will kick your teeth loose. The Marlin even kicks badly even with black powder loads. I have several other .45/70s including a Sharps carbine. Those are the ones I still have. Had a .410 derringer I sold for the same reason.

JHC

It’s either a Sears or Montgomery Wards Rifle In .270 that my son in law had and it’s very unsafe to use. It had a bad habit of firing all on its own. It’s in the back of the gunsafe for a good reason. I might dig it out tomorrow to find out which one it is. 

RugerLCP .380.  The most un-ergonomic piece I ever saw and totally un-shootable.  Even worse than my second most un-favorite gun, a German POS .22 that was unsafe to even hold in you hand without being loaded.Can't recall the make.

A 410 derringer was hurtful so it's gone as is the beretta 380 double stack 13 round as the recoil hit the nerve in my thumb web that had been pinched in my neck. The ruger lcp I used to have jammed no matter how many magazines I bought or how many times I cleaned it.  It found itself in a pawnshop. 

Ruger Number 1 Carbine in .45-70.
Bear loads.
Safe in the rifle, pressure was OK, but I was warned that one shot off each shoulder was all I wanted.
My response -- at least my UNSPOKEN response, you know how young men are -- "Old man, you're getting soft, I'm young, I'm tough, I can take it!"

Guess what.

One shot off each shoulder was absolutely all I wanted!

Least favorites?

That’s easy:

1) Kel-Tex P3AT. That think bit my finger and rapped my index finger first knuckle every time I shot it. Hated that gun. Sold it. 

2) Glock 19 Gen 3. Didn’t like it from the first trigger pull. The finger grooves didn’t match my fingers, which made it uncomfortable. I could not shoot it accurately. Sold it. 

I bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk with the Dragoon trigger guard and a factory 5" barrel.  I bled every time I shot it with any ammunition.  It was an unusual set up and was not too difficult to get rid of.  One of the few guns I have owned and sold that I don't want back.

Marlin Cowboy in .45-70, shot it 3 times at the indoor range and at a couple side matches and decided I liked my shoulder a little better than the gun!

Next would be a Ruger EDC in 9mm, good for carry but I just don't like shooting it.

Those are the only two for right now!

Remington 700 in 7mm mag. Just brutal on my shoulder

Desert Eagle in .357. What a POS.

Broomhandle Mauser (Red 9) w/detachable stock. Not bad with stock attached but was always worried about it being a SBR and could never get a clear clarification in writing from any government agency. Without the stock, it was just awkward. 

AMT .45 backup. Very un-comfortable to shoot. Heavy recoil and completely useless on targets beyond 25'.

Saiga 12 shotgun. Couldn't use lighter loads and have it cycle reliably. Had to use 3" shells which was very punishing for me.

Any .44 or .50 magnum revolver. Just can't see the sense in beating myself up.

Any center fire semi auto I’m to broken down to chase brass. 

I hate shooting my  Ruger #3 in 45/70 it’s just brutal but it’s also light handy and deadly accurate but oh that metal butt plate 

I've had a couple of break-top pocket pistols that I thought I'd like.  Neither of them were very reliable. Both were clunky to operate and both were just too small for my big ol' meat hooks!! I was happier the day that I sold them than the day I bought either of them!!  I DID make a little money on the deal!!

I absolutely hated my Ruger 77/22 boat paddle.
It had the F150TC trigger (Ford F150 + tow chain) at nearly 9 pounds.
The Volquartzen kit was a vast improvement to this awful lawyer trigger.

I inherited my Dad's Remington 740 Woodsmaster semi in 30-06.
This unreliable P.O.S. is unsuitable even as a boat anchor, because it would only sink intermittently.
I won't shoot this at all, under any circumstances, so the 77/22 still holds the "least favorite" slot.

Oh, this one is easy.  My least favorite gun to shoot is that beast pictured below.  Several years ago, my wife wanted to choose her own personal defense handgun.  She saw this "really pretty" Taurus Model M85UL and regardless of what I said, she loved it.  It was light, fit her hands, and was really pretty.  Well, pretty is as pretty does.  When we took the beast to the range, she fired two shots of standard .38 Special loads and set it down, not wanting to shoot it any more.  "Honey, that really hurts!!"  I finished off the last three rounds and that was the last time this gun was ever shot.  It should tell you something when they port the barrel on an ultralight 2-inch revolver.  No doubt about it, it bites!!!

Taurus Model M85UL "Ultra-Lite" in .38 Special

7zOUa3.jpg

0CGjKX.jpg

ZdyyI1.jpg

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Oh, this one is easy.  My least favorite gun to shoot is that beast pictured below.  Several years ago, my wife wanted to choose her own personal defense handgun.  She saw this "really pretty" Tauras Model M85UL and regardless of what I said, she loved it.  It was light, fit her hands, and was really pretty.  Well, pretty is as pretty does.  When we took the beast to the range, she fired two shots of standard .38 Special loads and set it down, not wanting to shoot it any more.  "Honey, that really hurts!!"  I finished off the last three rounds and that was the last time this gun was ever shot.  It should tell you something when they port the barrel on a ultralight 2-inch revolver.  No doubt about it, it bites!!!

Tauras Model M85UL "Ultra-Lite" in .38 Special

7zOUa3.jpg

0CGjKX.jpg

ZdyyI1.jpg

YESSIR!!  I shot a cylinder of standard .38 rounds through one of those!!  UNCOMFORTABLE, to give it the widest latitude of benefit of the doubt!!  My Taurus 450 that shoots .45 Colt is SOOOOOOO much more pleasant to shoot!!  Those "air weight" revolvers are NOT ideal for much of anything except to brag about how light you can build a gun and still shoot it!!  That little bit of extra weight and the bulk of a good set of grips can make ALL the difference in whether a handgun is a wonderful piece of self defense technology or a useless but unique conversation piece!!

IMG_2736.jpg

Amazing how two guns from the same manufacturer that look so similar can be so completely different to shoot!!

Oddly, the .410 H&R I bought for Sassparilla Kid when he was a kid.  Couldn't believe how uncomfortable that thing was to shoot.  :huh:

Gave it away forthwith.  :mellow:

S&W mdl 29, 2" or 4" barrel (I can't remember which), and full house 44 magnum loads. I was a novice way back then and didn't know about all the loads that could be used. 

Short story,  it went away.  Wish I had it now.

BS

17 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

It’s either a Sears or Montgomery Wards Rifle In .270 that my son in law had and it’s very unsafe to use. It had a bad habit of firing all on its own. It’s in the back of the gunsafe for a good reason. I might dig it out tomorrow to find out which one it is. 

Yul, any chance that could be a Remington?  :huh:

There was a class action lawsuit filed a few years ago, resulting in several million rifle owners having a window of eighteen months to opt for a free trigger assembly replacement.   Article Link    Recall Link

I had a boss who hunted with one.  It had the most annoying and disconcerting habit of suddenly going "BOOM!" at totally unexpected times.  Fortunately, said boss had it pointed in a safe direction... no fingers anywhere near the trigger.  :blink: 

Least favorite firearm to shoot is the Chiappa SAA 17hmr.  

Wanted a 17 HMR handgun since the cartridge came out near 20 years ago.  Finally found this little single action revolver and was excited.  A flat shooting sidearm that will stop any varmint I encounter.  It wouldn’t even stop paper.  Went to the factory 3 times before hitting the trail.  Very disappointing, the 4 other Chiappa products I’ve owned have worked well.

Astra 600. Bought it at the Rod & Gun club on post in Germany. Spanish Army surplus. Paid $18 for it. Hideous trigger pull. Weird take down.

Patted myself on the back when I sold it for a tasty profit of $7.00 a year later.

Well...$5.00. I inset a pair of Special Forces crests in the grips. That cost  me $2.

2B8CEA95-E423-4E13-96C0-2649CDD8EFB4.jpeg

Archived