SASS Wire Forum

Request Load Data

Texas Red

I think Buzzard’s 3.0 grains sounds right. I load 3.2 to 3.5 grains in 38 Special. 3.5 grains being a little stout for our game.

Red Dot is my favorite powder. I load 38 Special, 44 Russian, 44 Special, 44-40, 45 Colt and of course 12 gauge with it. Oh, also light lead bullet loads in 45-70 govt.

It is one of the most universal powders for lead bullet loads. I like it better than Unique which also is good for that purpose.

for me, red dot and winchester primers did NOT work in cold weather,,,, not sure why but way to many squibs,,,

I'd want to chrono that load. I settled on 2.6 grains of Trail Boss for around 700 fps.

I was at 2.5 with Red Dot (old stuff)

4Tl4PVTl.jpg

I didn't do any primer swapping on 2.5 gr, but I did up the charge to 2.9 gr to see if I could get better Es/Sd. 

Nh1QAc2l.jpg

The Es/Sd showed some improvement, but the 40 fps difference between powder forward and powder back convinced me to abandon it. And 750 fps is too fast, already a 38 Spl load, IMHO.

Here is my goto at this time:

s8r6aOul.jpg

Nothing to brag about, but it is relatively stable and repeatable, and not terrible. Interestingly enough it is not real fussy on the primer. IMO the Fed 100 was the best, by a small margin. 

SdBIIUCm.jpg

That's what it looks like.

I've gone through around 200 of these, no issues.

23 hours ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

for me, red dot and winchester primers did NOT work in cold weather,,,, not sure why but way to many squibs,,,

Really?! I thought cold weather for you was anything under 70! :P

Archived