SASS Wire Forum

WTB pair of 1851 Sheriffs in .36

Croc Holiday

Hey there...

Looking for a pair of Pietta 1851 Sheriff's in .36.  Prefer case colored frames but brass is fine too. 

New to C & B and need the other tools of the trade as well (powder measure, cap setter, etc.) if ya got some you're willing to part with.

Let me know what ya got.

Thanks!

Croc

@Croc Holiday What do you mean by Sherrif's? I don't think they make the Sherrif models in .36.

I've got this pair in .36:20190917_144236.jpg.55d59dc692fb9066900822753ea3568c.jpg20190917_144307.jpg.8b9854d50aca0c230a075a27e75130db.jpg

I have a pair of brass frames that are Sherrifs in .44.  I've put cap posts in all of them, along with Treso nipples and light springs. Let me know if any of those interest you.

4 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

@Croc Holiday What do you mean by Sherrif's? I don't think they make the Sherrif models in .36.

They don't anymore that I can see but I have seen some used on GB.  Was seeing if I can find some a couple of those here.  Trying to stick with the .36 so I can get some conversion cylinders and continue using my .38 reloading horde.  I'd ponder those .36's but I'm weird about stuff matching.  Well, that and I'm trying to stick to short barrels so they don't stick out the bottom of my rig.  Short may be a tall order though... 

2 minutes ago, Croc Holiday said:

They don't anymore that I can see but I have seen some used on GB.  Was seeing if I can find some a couple of those here.  Trying to stick with the .36 so I can get some conversion cylinders and continue using my .38 reloading horde.  I'd ponder those .36's but I'm weird about stuff matching.  Well, that and I'm trying to stick to short barrels so they don't stick out the bottom of my rig.  Short may be a tall order though... 

just remember the barrels are .375 not .358 like .38 special bullets. Need to use hollow base bullets for accuracy or sleeve the barrels.

17 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

just remember the barrels are .375 not .358 like .38 special bullets. Need to use hollow base bullets for accuracy or sleeve the barrels.

I may be rethinking .36.  I have a pard that shoots 51's for C&B as well as cartridge.  I thought they were the same pistols with the cylinders swapped out.  Well, found out they're not.  His C&B are .36 and his cartridge pair are factory made for .38.  I goal was a set of C&B pistols that could also be a second set of cartridge pistols in .38 which I already have tons of brass for.  Since my dream is now crushed, I'm not sure .36 is the way to go.  I'm told I can get a cylinder for .44 that will be .45 cartridge.  If that's the case, that might be better as I can reload .45 down the road if I want.

PM me what you'd want for those brass frame sheriffs.  Heading someplace tonight that has some different pistols in stock that I can put an eye on. 

.36 = .375

.38 = .358

.44 = .45

Makes perfect sense haha. 

1 hour ago, Croc Holiday said:

I may be rethinking .36.  I have a pard that shoots 51's for C&B as well as cartridge.  I thought they were the same pistols with the cylinders swapped out.  Well, found out they're not.  His C&B are .36 and his cartridge pair are factory made for .38.  I goal was a set of C&B pistols that could also be a second set of cartridge pistols in .38 which I already have tons of brass for.  Since my dream is now crushed, I'm not sure .36 is the way to go.  I'm told I can get a cylinder for .44 that will be .45 cartridge.  If that's the case, that might be better as I can reload .45 down the road if I want.

PM me what you'd want for those brass frame sheriffs.  Heading someplace tonight that has some different pistols in stock that I can put an eye on. 

.36 = .375

.38 = .358

.44 = .45

I will PM you a price later today.

All that said I would suggest forgoing the C&B route altogether, UNLESS you plan to shoot Classic Cowboy. 

You can get a pair of Uberti Open Tops in .38 for around $900. I just bought a pair of 5.5" 38's and after shipping and transfer it $937 and some change. A pair of cap and balls with Slixx or Treso's are gonna run $450-$500; which would put you half way to a new pair of conversions. My 2 cents.

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I will PM you a price later today.

All that said I would suggest forgoing the C&B route altogether, UNLESS you plan to shoot Classic Cowboy. 

You can get a pair of Uberti Open Tops in .38 for around $900. I just bought a pair of 5.5" 38's and after shipping and transfer it $937 and some change. A pair of cap and balls with Slixx or Treso's are gonna run $450-$500; which would put you half way to a new pair of conversions. My 2 cents.

I appreciate the advice.  If it was just for shooting I'd be on board with ya.  I'd like them for Plainsman side matches.  Did one this weekend and it was a blast.  Was hoping for the added bonus of a second set of pistols.  I'm good if all I get is set for Plainsman and fun.

I wish I had the funds for those 72's in the other thread.  Those are sweet.  I saw a set at the range with an octagon barrel that were also pretty awesome.

My wish list exceeds my budget... by a lot...  haha. 

If you were after 44, could have helped...Have a bunch of Sheriff models in .44....Pietta Marshal Engraved......Or you go this way...https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/1851-Captain-Schaeffer-36-4-UI-110p1854.htm....They do look great...But might have to stop eating for a week or two....

Texas Lizard

This company has the 1860 Army Sheriff in .36 caliber. I know, the Army didn't come in .36 but they have them. 5.5" barrel, and the price is right.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/829664249

15 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Personally I wish they would make a full length barrel captain Schaeffer. 

Would make a nice pair with tubes I could actually shoot well at normal distances 

Well, you could get the Old Silver, they are .36 caliber with 7.5" barrels, put some fake pearl grips on there and you're reasonably close; just no engraving.

7 hours ago, Croc Holiday said:

.36 = .375

.38 = .358

.44 = .45

I'd sell the pair for $500 shipped. They have lighter springs, some polishing in the right places, fitted bolts, cap posts, and Treso nipples. I've shot 3 matches with them so far and some around the house getting them to my liking. I'll clean them up a bit better as well, but not too much as the patina is starting to occur ;)

That said if you think you'll get conversion cylinders at some point you'd be better off with steel frames and I don't have any steel frames currently; might check with Texas Lizard.

20190918_164651.jpg

20190918_164730.jpg

20190918_164746.jpg

20190918_164810.jpg

Those Captains are awesome!  If I had more to spend i’d consider those.  They’d be C&BBQ  guns haha

6 minutes ago, Croc Holiday said:

Those are sexy.  I’m shooting BP only at this point.  Will steel still be better?  

If you're planning on conversion cylinders brass frames are a no-no.

On 9/18/2019 at 12:17 PM, Texas Lizard said:

If you were after 44, could have helped...Have a bunch of Sheriff models in .44....Pietta Marshal Engraved......Or you go this way...https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/1851-Captain-Schaeffer-36-4-UI-110p1854.htm....They do look great...But might have to stop eating for a week or two....

Texas Lizard

Learning that .44 may be the better way to go.  Let me know what ya got? 

I Googled the Marshals...  I love those but they're likely a bit more than I want spend.  Damn they're cool though. 

If you're still interested, EMF offers the 1862 Metropolitan Police in .36 with 5 1/2 inch barrels, Nickel grip frame, Lanyard Ring.  Really neat guns.  Use R&D type conversion cylinders in 38.  I personally shoot R&D cylinders in both my NYMP .36s and my Capt. Schaffers with both regular 38 bullets and 38 hollow base wadcutters.  Ring the wiley steel at 6 to 12 yards CAS distance no problem.  A thought for ya.

• Croc Holiday changed the title to WTB pair of 1851 Sheriffs
On 9/18/2019 at 6:01 PM, Tyrel Cody said:

I'd sell the pair for $500 shipped. They have lighter springs, some polishing in the right places, fitted bolts, cap posts, and Treso nipples. I've shot 3 matches with them so far and some around the house getting them to my liking. I'll clean them up a bit better as well, but not too much as the patina is starting to occur ;)

That said if you think you'll get conversion cylinders at some point you'd be better off with steel frames and I don't have any steel frames currently; might check with Texas Lizard.

20190918_164651.jpg

20190918_164730.jpg

20190918_164746.jpg

20190918_164810.jpg

If you still have these, I want them. I'm good with 500 shipped, let me know. 

• Croc Holiday changed the title to WTB pair of 1851 Sheriffs in .36
On 9/17/2019 at 3:10 PM, Croc Holiday said:

Hey there...

Looking for a pair of Pietta 1851 Sheriff's in .36.  Prefer case colored frames but brass is fine too. 

New to C & B and need the other tools of the trade as well (powder measure, cap setter, etc.) if ya got some you're willing to part with.

Let me know what ya got.

Thanks!

Croc

Croc,

I read the whole thread and I think I got a feel for what you are looking for.   A few words first:

You seem to want the flexibility of shooting percussion and switching off to shoot cartridge with conversion cylinders when you wish.  For that, you best bet is the .36 in a steel frame.  The brass frame is not recommended because the recoil of the cylinder sends the cartridge cylinder crashing back into the recoil shield and severely indenting it, over time causing what some refer to as "frame stretch".  Steel-framed guns are the only type recommended for Conversion Cylinders.

For the most part the 6-shot .38 Conversion Cylinders are a drop-in part and don't need any adjustment of timing.

This is not so with the 5-shot Conversion Cylinders in the 6-shot 1860 Army, (or the .44 "1851 Navy".)  Where the revolvers often have to be retimed for the conversion cylinders, and switching back is a bit of a pain.

For the short barreled "1851 Navy .36" the simple way to get them is the Pietta model 1862, which is a Pietta 1851 with the elegant round barrel of the 1861 shortened to 5-1/2"  Quite easy to find.  When loading .38's in the .36 revolver, simply use .38 Hollow Base Wad Cutters.  These make for an extremely accurate round!  I found that building up the front sight can put you in the x-ring, as the sights are more conducive to 25 yard shots than 7 yard shots.

9 minutes ago, McCandless said:

Croc,

I read the whole thread and I think I got a feel for what you are looking for.   A few words first:

You seem to want the flexibility of shooting percussion and switching off to shoot cartridge with conversion cylinders when you wish...

Thanks McCandless.  That is what I'm hoping for.  C & B for Plainsman matches / fun and to use as a second set of main match guns.

Coffinmaker mentioned those 62's as well.  I like those too but am a little smitten with the octagon barrels of the 51's.  I do like the curves of the 62's as well though and would take a pair and not be disappointed.  51's would be my first choice with 62's as a very close second. 

On 9/30/2019 at 4:00 PM, Croc Holiday said:

Thanks McCandless.  That is what I'm hoping for.  C & B for Plainsman matches / fun and to use as a second set of main match guns.

Coffinmaker mentioned those 62's as well.  I like those too but am a little smitten with the octagon barrels of the 51's.  I do like the curves of the 62's as well though and would take a pair and not be disappointed.  51's would be my first choice with 62's as a very close second. 

Just throwing this out there... I have a pair of Pietta '1862s with cap rakes, worked over by Colorado Coffinmaker.   They are slick!

They come with fluted cylinders, (pictured are some spare cylinders).  If you're interested, I can take some better pictures.

I'll throw in lead ball and felt wads. 

IMG_20191002_181313946.thumb.jpg.322965b2fdf938d280ccbef108b966c2.jpg

Archived