SASS Wire Forum

Frye’s Electronics Gone Soon?

Yul Lose

I visited a local Frye’s Electronics story today and what a shock it was to see a nearly empty store. I was looking for some filament for my 3D printer and they didn’t have one single spool. Usually they’d have a bunch to choose from but not anymore. The TV and appliance departments were bare, not an appliance or TV in the place. The employees that you could find were not uniformed like they normally are and some were dressed pretty shabbily, I thought they were customers like me. I would be surprised if they last another quarter. They have nothing to sell.

That’s odd. The one up in Wilsonville Oregon was very much alive and well 10 months ago. The one here in Fountain Valley was pretty ratty when I went by there a few months ago. Definitely not the store it once was.

15 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That’s odd. The one up in Wilsonville Oregon was very much alive and well 10 months ago. The one here in Fountain Valley was pretty ratty when I went by there a few months ago. Definitely not the store it once was.

The last time I was in Frye’s, probably end of January they had full shelves lots of employees and customers. Today the parking lot was nearly empty and the employees were scarce. I asked one of the guys that seemed to work there if they were going out of business and he said they were just waiting for inventory to arrive. As bare as it was that would take a whole bunch of inventory. With Christmas season rapidly approaching I don’t see how they’d even attempt to stay open as bare as this store was. 

Yul,
I've been in your Frys while we were staying in SD a few years back.
At that time it was hyper-crowded and stocked.

Here in Sacramento, I only go to Fry's in a dire emergency.
Amazon same-day has much better computer component prices than Frys, and I don't have to drive.

Considering what a pain it was getting to your Fry's from our place in Pacific Beach, I can understand the appeal of Amazon.

Online shopping is going to put most of the smaller retail businesses and retail chains out of business.   I really only expect the big box stores, bigger food stores and specialty stores to survive.

Online you can get the same item cheaper, shipped to your house for free or at a minimal cost on most things and in the size, color, configuration YOU want.  You can also see how well reviewed the item is and you don't have to deal with a sales associate that knows less then you do about the item you are shopping for.

The one here in Phoenix appears to be dying as well. Been there three times in the last months for one thing or another. Mostly empty. More associates than customers in the store.  Not much to sell at all. I felt lucky the other day to find a couple phone charging cords......every other thing they had was propriatary for apple (just say NO) LOL. An associate told me their corporate tells them its because of the President's tariffs on China. Seems sketchy because WalMart's got more chinese crap to sell than carter's little liver pills! LOL

2 hours ago, Dubious Don #56333 said:

The one here in Phoenix appears to be dying as well. Been there three times in the last months for one thing or another. Mostly empty. More associates than customers in the store.  Not much to sell at all. I felt lucky the other day to find a couple phone charging cords......every other thing they had was propriatary for apple (just say NO) LOL. An associate told me their corporate tells them its because of the President's tariffs on China. Seems sketchy because WalMart's got more chinese crap to sell than carter's little liver pills! LOL

I’m with you, Amazon seems to be able to get all of the Chinese junk they can get and have it to you within a day or two of your order so I really doubt Trumps tariffs had a thing to do with Frye’s empty stores. The online buying is what’s done Frye’s in, IMHO, of course.

12 hours ago, Chantry said:

Online shopping is going to put most of the smaller retail businesses and retail chains out of business.   I really only expect the big box stores, bigger food stores and specialty stores to survive.

Online you can get the same item cheaper, shipped to your house for free or at a minimal cost on most things and in the size, color, configuration YOU want.  You can also see how well reviewed the item is and you don't have to deal with a sales associate that knows less then you do about the item you are shopping for.

A Frye's joke, but true, was if you have a question about some computer component was to shout out your question & a customer within earshot would answer it.  Before retiring to the Battle Born State I would shop at the most convenient Frye's in the Bay Area for electronics.  Never bought a TV there and shopped at COSTCO exclusively for TV's until they ended their unpublished lifetime warranty ended.  I used the policy a couple of times.  As I recall walking into their home entertainment dept. was like walking onto a car dealership with turn over sales model.

5 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I bought my first computer at a Frye's in LA in about 1994.  The experience after the purchase was so awful I never returned.

In my estimation they lasted about fifteen years too long

I’d say 25

Archived