SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 95 in 30-03 question

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

A friend of mine recently acquired a Winchester 95 chambered for .30-03.  Knowing that I like old Winchesters, and the 95, he asked me if you could fire the 30-06 round in his rifle.  His question was based on the fact that the 06 is dimensionally the same as the 03, just with the neck being 0.07" shorter.

I was honest and said I don't know.   I know the 95 was eventually chambered for 30-06, but I have no idea if they shorter round would properly headspace, or if the pressure would be off or if there was some other reason to tell him no.   I said I'd ask around.   So, I'm asking.   Anyone have any idea?

Internet research says yes. Think shooting 38 in a 357. Accuracy will likely suffer.  When the military went from 30-03 to 30-06 all they did was remove the barrel from the receiver shorten the barrel by 0.07" and recut the chamber.  

Because both cartridges have identical dimensions except for neck length and head space on the shoulder; so you can use a 30-06 go/no go gauge to verify that the head space is correct As long as the rifle passes it should be safe to shoot 30-06 in it. 

Archived