SASS Wire Forum

Good BP 12 gauge load info

Trooper Ozzy

Started with this formula, then spent the summer messing around "to save lead and powder".

HA!  What a waste of time. 

For me the formula on the Lee Load All is green Gun Club hulls. Cheddite 209, Lee Dipper 4.0 cc any granulation BP from Renactor, 2F, 3F, it doesn't matter. Claybuster Shotshell Wads 12 Gauge CB1138-12 (Replaces WAA12R) , 1 oz insert for reclaimed 7 1/2 shot, firm pre crimp, firm crimp. Repeat and don't look back.  I will never run out of those cheap Gun Clubs, I'm throwing out a 42 gallon bag full of hulls all colors of the rainbow. 

What is your go to recipe black powder 12 gauge?

download.jpeg

Howdy..I was using 3/4 oz of shot with 48g..I was having a few backups at clubs that like to put targets out a bit further, so now using 1 oz with 50g..I have plenty of the earlier Winchester hulls & use them with Win 209 primers & 12SL  pink  wads.

BP is expensive here so I use the cheapest which is Wano 5FA....also use it in pistol / rifle .

I use the CB1138-12 wad with the cheapest smoky propellant available (currently Alliant MZ), Gun Club hulls and whatever 209 primers I have on hand.  For my wife I use Fig 8 wads and less powder.

See this archived thread.

12 Ga   4.3 CC ( 66 grains by weight ) of Goex 3F, Claybuster wad,  1 1/8 Shot ....

In 16 GA  3.4 CC ( 52 grains by Weight ) of Goex 3F,  Claybuster wad  1 oz Shot

Jabez Cowboy

Howdy Trooper Ozzy, here's  cut and paste from another thread. My favorites are the BPI short wad #72SSW for big matches and Win Pink for locals.

Right now I'm using Rem RXP12 with 1oz shot and Mec#34 (42gr Kik) cause I'm out of Pink wads. I prefer to use the individual shot bars. Good Luck:)

Howdy Two-Bits,  I shoot a load similar to Noz with the Pink wad. Again as others have said the Win WAA 12R (CB 1138-12) is good for about 60-65gr and 1 1/8oz shot. I prefer to use a little less BP and have found several wads that fit all my needs. Besides the Win Pink wad there are several short shell wads from BPI that really work well."

1 1/8oz - 54-57gr ffg with BPI short wad #72SSW..........my favorite for big matches ;)
Short Shell #72SSW
1oz - 48-50gr ffg with BPI Helix Driver #18.......another big match fav
Helix #18
7/8oz - 43-45gr ffg with Win Pink wad AA12SL (CB1100-12).......my local fav ;D
WAA12SSL
7/8oz - 45-47gr ffg with BPI Helix Driver #21......works good with the new two piece AA hulls
Helix #21

Magtech Brass Hull trimmed to 2.25" (cycles better in my pw87 than the 2.5")

Federal magnum lrg pistol primer

45-50gr 2F goex or home brewed

circle Y 11ga nitro card

circle Y 11ga fiber wad

construction paper wad cup

7/8 oz reclaimed shot

circle Y 11ga overshot card

sealed off with 50/50 beeswax/crisco (or lambs tallow)

I've been messing with this lately too using a Lee LA but am getting some weird results.  I'm using the 4cc of Goex BP,  1138 wads and I think I settled on 1 1/8 shot.

Win AA's buckled on me.

Rem Gun Clubs worked great but required a black eyed pea to close proper.  Others use this same combo or less shot with no pea.  I'm baffled.

Federals with a brass bottom worked a little better but needed a second pea.  I'm a dork and am probably skewed by the burgundy color that I like better haha. 

Would like to use the federal hulls with less powder (3.5cc - 3.7cc) and 7/8 - 1oz shot.  If anyone has a wad that eliminates the peas, I'd sure appreciate it.

Once again, I stress that black powder and BP substitutes permit a wonderful flexibility for experimentation.  Large BP charges can be great fun to shoot, but are not necessary for getting the knockdowns to go down.  My standard load is:

Hull:  Remington STS or Gun Club 12 gauge, or Estate low base hulls.  Use only 8 point crimp hulls.  6 point crimp hulls have not been kind to me.

Primer:  Winchester 209, because they were what the local gun store had.  Use whatever.

Powder: 2F whatever.   I routinely use Pyrodex, Schuetzen, Goex, KIK, Graf's, whatever I can buy cheaply in bulk.  

2.5 CC Lee Dipper of powder, which should be about 38 grains of powder.  You can get by with less, but this gives me a good crimp with one ounce of shot.

Wad: Claybuster  1118-12, white wad for one ounce of shot. 

Shot: 7 1/2, or 8; 1 ounce is enough for any knockdown I have ever encountered.  One Frontiersman national champion I know will not load less than 1 1/4 ounce of shot rather than risk having to hit a knockdown twice.  You pays your money and you takes your chance.

Most important: getting a good tight crimp.  I load on a MEC 600 Jr.  If there is a gap between the crimped points after the final crimp, crank the pre-crimp station down a skosh and make another test shell.  You absolutely do not want shot pellets to leak out of the shell.  Trust me on this.  If you cannot find a way to close the crimp petal gap, close it with Elmer's Glue.  The targets will not complain.

So load the big volumes if you want and enjoy the smoke and boom.  But you should know that you can be competitive and lay those targets down with smaller powder charges.

Finally, shoot your new creations at paper and find out where the pellets are hitting.  DO NOT ASSUME that the point of impact is where you think it will be.  Determine where the shot charge actually hits, or you may be surprised/disappointed at a big match.  Particularly for you folks who do not put your cheeks down on the buttstock!

For 3Fpowder I use 3cc of powder of choice (Real BP or any Sub), Federal Top Gun hulls or Remington Gun Clubs, Whatever primer I have on hand, CB0175-12 wad and about 7/8 oz of shot.  I have an adjustable charge bar and adjust the shot load to give the perfect crimp.

For 2F powder I use 3.5 CC of powder of choice (Real BP or any Sub), For 2F powder I use 3cc of powder of choice (Real BP or any Sub), Federal Top Gun hulls or Remington Gun Clubs, Whatever primer I have on hand, Winchester WAA12SL wads and about 7/8 oz of shot.

With either load I seat the wad firmly on the powder.

Thanks for the info J Bar.

I used your recipe for 2.5 cc of Pinnacle (supplied by Blue Whisler) and a 7/8 oz load of #8 shot at the last Old Coot shoot.

It worked like a charm. 

Happy Trails, Coyote Kid

I use Cheddite primers in my smokey loads - Rios too.  They may enlarge primer pockets but I don't care.  I toss spent hulls after one loading with smokey powders. 

See this archived thread.

On 9/17/2019 at 9:53 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

Most important: getting a good tight crimp.  I load on a MEC 600 Jr.  If there is a gap between the crimped points after the final crimp, crank the pre-crimp station down a skosh and make another test shell.

Once I find a load. This ^^^^^ is all I do to switch from AA to STS to Estate hulls. 

Archived