SASS Wire Forum

Response to drone strikes agains Saudi Arabia

Trailrider #896

Not sure if this will get by, but there is a lot of talk in the media and in Washington about whether America should take direct action against Iran in response to the Iranian-backed Yemeni drone attacks against Saudi Arabia.  Some people criticized President Trump when he called off air strikes against Iranian S-400 anti-aircraft batteries that shot down one of our drones.  What they didn't realize is that the truck-mounted S-400 could be replaced within an hour.  But what happened was Cybercommand hit the Iranian C3I with a cyber attack that they probably haven't recovered from yet.  In this day and age, you don't have to do a "kinetic" strike, when a cyber attack can accomplish much more without risking aircrews and planes, etc!  Maybe we don't have to be involved ourselves.  Maybe others, with sophisticated cyber capabilities can do the job!:ph34r:

What Slim said.

We should be doing what we can de-escalate the situation. With us now having petroleum independence, this is not directly our fight. However, any instability in that part of the world gives us cause for concern. 

Striking Iran will not help the situation. 

We still get 500,000 barrels of oil per day from Saudi Arabia per this website:

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=pet&s=mttimussa2&f=m

I heard on the radio this morning that we might see a 10 cent per gallon price increase due to this strike against the Saudis.

I think Iran is itching for us to do something. I think we should let the Saudis and their allies in the region deal with it for now. Let Iran stew a bit.

Cyber attack, yes.

Direct armed conflict, no, they didn't attack the US.

Remember, the Iranians are not Arabs.....they are Persians and they have direct access to the Persian Gulf, Straight of Hormuz and the Gulf of Oman. We sure as hell don't want our civilian and military assets bottled up in that would be cauldron.

4 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I really don't think so. It didn't hit us or ours. I think we should support the Saudies but not hit them "ourselves" ;)

My thoughts exactly.

If the Saudis want to stick it in with the Iranians, then we need to back their play but it really needs to be them and folks like the Emiratis taking the lead.

Iran is hurting and working the long game is to our benefit.   The ayatollahs need an enemy to rally the people before they end up getting a Gaddafi pulled on them.  Who qualifies as an enemy to rally around more the The Great Satan Itself?

5 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Cyber attack, yes.

Direct armed conflict, no, they didn't attack the US.

Remember, the Iranians are not Arabs.....they are Persians and they have direct access to the Persian Gulf, Straight of Hormuz and the Gulf of Oman. We sure as hell don't want our civilian and military assets bottled up in that would be cauldron.

We already are and have been for many years.

I'd also like to point out that we haven't fought a "war", much less won one, since 1945.  If we do go in we should go to win or stay the hell out of it other than to provide support.

Oh, there is so much I want to say here but I am having a good day so far... I think I will just say that I am sick of our young men and women going to war for an ungrateful nation to satisfy the wants of people that do not deserve their effort, their honor, their loyalty or their lives...at least 50% of this nation...

:FlagAm:

We have an alliance and security cooperation agreements with Saudi Arabia. We need to honor those but I don't believe it means boots on the ground.

We have strategic interests:

- keeping the strait of Bab al-Mendab (sp?) open at the southern end of the Red Sea (if the strait is closed, the Suez Canal is useless)

- maintaining the flow of resources (oil) from the region

- Iran supports (but likely doesn't actually control) the Houthi movement and can exert influence through that support

We have humanitarian interests:

- Yemen is nearly in a famine situation, in large part due to the conflict between the Houthi and Saudi Arabia.

- Saudi-led coalition strikes have caused large numbers of civilian casualties in Yemen

If there is direct action that threatens U.S. forces, then it merits a direct action response. Otherwise, honor our agreements with supporting Saudi Arabia (military sales) and let the region sort itself out.

At the same time, we should give the same level of attention to ending what Saudi Arabia is doing to Yemeni civilians as we do to what Syria is doing to its civilians. Since the Houthis are Shiia and the Saudis are Sunni, that might be difficult. 

Anything we do to resolve conflict over there plays against Iran -- jumping in with both feet would hand Iran the instability they thrive on.

Just my thoughts. Take them and a dollar and you might find a cup of coffee somewhere.

"We fought people we didn't hate for people we didn't like."

The Irish sure have a way with words.

Duffield

We sell Saudi Arabia planes and weapons and that's enough, let them deal with it! I think the majority of Americans are tired of our involvement with these other countries. Unless Iran hits us directly, stay out of it! We don't want WW3!!!

Fortunately I'm not going to have to make that decision.

I am unwilling to commit US resources, money and servicemen to a shooting conflict with Iran.  I am tired of the US being the world's policeman, but also recognize that the alternatives are worse.

However there is a part if me that would very much like deal with Iran now and I would do so by using B-2's and cruise missiles to destroy as much of their military leadership, equipment and any infrastructure or industry that  directly supports their military as possible.

17 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

We still get 500,000 barrels of oil per day from Saudi Arabia per this website:

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=pet&s=mttimussa2&f=m

I heard on the radio this morning that we might see a 10 cent per gallon price increase due to this strike against the Saudis.

I think Iran is itching for us to do something. I think we should let the Saudis and their allies in the region deal with it for now. Let Iran stew a bit.

The reason we are still importing oil is we export grades of crude oil we don't need and and import the grades we do need.

Why the U.S. Must Import and Export Oil

I think back to WW2. We said keep out of europes wars and look what happened. BUT that being said I don't think we should go to war anywhere with the current politicians in the congress. IF we go to war we should go to win. Not just meet force with equal force. Bomb  them back to the stone age, and then GET THE HECK OUT!!! Sadly I think our days of fighting wars to win are over.

We should not go to war with Iran, or any other nation, except by a Congressional Declaration of War as prescribed by the Constitution.  Last time a Declaration of War was made by Congress was at the start of WW2.  Congress has abdicated that responsibility with the War Powers Act. 

Trump just ordered additional sanctions imposed on Iran.  NFI what that will do for the price of gas at the pump.  IMHO cyber war is the way for us to go...UNLESS they start some action directed at our troops or us directly.  Should that happen, we might consider the fact that they want to develop nuclear weapons...and export to them a quantity of fissionable/fusionable materials....all in one package!  That would help with their "urban renewal"....if they need some new trinitite parking lots!  Doubt it will happen, however.

Archived