SASS Wire Forum

Favorite Shoot?

Purdy Good

Hey friends,

Maybe this has been asked, but maybe it deserves to be asked again! :)

What is your favorite shoot of the year? What do you love about it and why should other cowpokes join in the fun? (Please feel free to link to it!)

Mine is Pursuit into the Osage Nation in Bartlesville, OK. It's a shoot that, as I've been told, is a lot more like the "good ol' days" with targets that are far away and stages that are a lot of fun. I enjoy it and others should come to it because it's set in a literal historical reserve where outlaws and cowboys would come together for one time a year to "break bread" in peace. Read more about the reserve here: https://www.woolaroc.org/history-of-woolaroc 

I don't shoot big bore often, but at this shoot, I try to do my best with a special pard's browning highwall (Thanks Gunny 00!) to see if I can hit 5 out of 5 (or 8 out of 8, counting the sighters) at the BIG target, 300+ yards away during side matches.

We FREQUENTLY see buffalo roaming through camp and long horns, and white tail deer. It's just an amazing place to be and shoot, plus I can bring my 7 year old, where he plays with the other grandkids and kids that are there for the first few days of camp (or shoot!).

Here's the link to this shoot: http://www.itsass.net/pursuit-into-the-osage-nation/

I love this shoot because the cowboy spirit is alive and well and I was curious about the other shoots around because I don't get to travel that much (due to the aforementioned 7 year old).

Let me know about them!

Never know when you 7 year old will join in.  Happens sooner than you think.  Winter Range, EOT and Bordertown are all my favorites.  I love the environment and hard work put into each match.  They are different, but wouldn't want it any other way.  They all have their strengths and it is hard to find any weakness.  Great matches!!!  

BLACK GOLD!

Its in Kentucky.

I missed it this year but its still my favorite place to go.

WHY?  its just right.   Nobody is a stranger and quiet honestly, everybody is family.

And although it ain't a State or above recognized match..... its still a favorite for MANY a 

pard, far and wide.

EDIT:   Because others are mentioning their other favorites, I will mention mine also:

TN State.   Wartrace is just a fantastic place to shoot and the Wartrace Regulators

go all out to see everyone has a great time.  Its a beautiful range and TN is 

just beautiful during the fall.

I don't know how they do it...but I bet their crew don't sleep from a couple days 

before the match until the lights go out after the banquet.

..........Widder

Any monthly match at Paradise Pass. My schedule doesn't allow me to attend every month, and I make excuses for not making it when I probably could have attended. 

The price is cheap. The stages are well written. Brass rats are top notch. Competition is as fierce as you want it to be so pick your category carefully.

Mostly, it is the people that make it my favorite shoot. I was gone from the game for over a decade and when I attended my first match back there were cowboys there that said, "welcome back."

Black Gold because it is Black Gold, Tennessee State because the team puts on a great match with wonderful porps and location, BorderTown because it just does not get any better than Tombstone and I love the folks who put it on. If I can make those three in a year it is a great year.

I also figure one of my favorites will be the one where I shoot clean, not sure that will happen again but hey, its something to strive for.

54 minutes ago, War Grizzly said:

Any monthly match at Paradise Pass. My schedule doesn't allow me to attend every month, and I make excuses for not making it when I probably could have attended. 

The price is cheap. The stages are well written. Brass rats are top notch. Competition is as fierce as you want it to be so pick your category carefully.

Mostly, it is the people that make it my favorite shoot. I was gone from the game for over a decade and when I attended my first match back there were cowboys there that said, "welcome back."

Always good to posse with ya!

I'm with War Griz. Paradise Pass. Then there is the three day shoot at Wolff's Rowdy Rangers. Then Tusco of course! Michigan and Ohio State shoots are always stellar. I've been hearing about Illinois and plan on attending. Oh oh oh Knob Creek! Can't forget about them! Then there's,............

ANY shoot is my favorite shoot. Because I get to see people that have similar interests and because I get to shoot...

I've had fun at pretty much every match I've ever shot, I bring the fun with me.

But for favorites if I had to name them....

For a 'travel' match, I'd have to say Winter Range.  Land Run would be up there as well.

For something closer to home, I'd say the Shootout At Pawnee Station.  I enjoy it so much I pull my camper out a week early and help set up, and stay and day late to help clean up.  Permanent props, lots of stage dressings that come out for the annual, great scenarios, lots of dry camping, wonderful people, and a ton of fun.

It’s Black Gold for me, for all the reasons stated above!  Tennessee State at Wartrace is a very close second. Prettiest range in SASS and one of the most well organized, efficient, and friendly outfits you will ever ride with. So close a third that there’s really no difference is Comin’AtCha!! The Dooley Gang, led by T-Bone Dooley, lives and dies by the rule that EVERYONE is a VIP!! The most entertainment, shooting, and total involvement of any big match anywhere!!

They each take every good idea and find ways to use them and make them better!!  

They each ask, “Has anybody told you how glad we are that you’re here??”  It means a lot that they really mean it!!

HIGH NOON at the Tusco Longriders in Ohio.  Just TWO KOOL FER SKULE!!  Not to ignore the Biscuits-n-Gravy-n-Bacon fer Breakfast at Pam's Chuckwagon.

And .... It's only 2 1/2 weeks away!!!!  Yowza!!

The Gunfight Behind The Jersey Lilly back in the day was one heck of a match. Of late, because of range issues it’s fallen on hard times but it’s coming up this weekend and if I know Smokestack and and the rest of the bunch that put the match together it’s going to be lots of fun.

I’ve never shot a match at EOT but there is just something about making the trip to Founders Ranch in New Mexico each year that just gets in my blood. Come January I’ll start planning and EOT is always the first trip listed on the page, it’s that special to me.

I’ve  been to Winter Range as a visitor many times but in 2020 I’m shooting the match and I hope it becomes just as special as EOT is to me.

When the construction is complete at Cajon the Legends Of The West Match will be back in business and IMHO its one of the best matches going. Bear Trap and company know how to stage a cowboy match that really satisfies.

The Crap  Shoot at RR Bar is another one that is a must do. The facades, location and the Lions Club that runs the range and the kitchen keep everyone smiling, fed and content. I hear through the grapevine that the California State Championship will be held here starting in 2020!!!!!

The Western Divisional at Chorro Valley is probably one of the nicest locations for a CAS match that you’ll find. Great weather and just a few miles from the coast make it a great location and Sinful and El Laso know how to write fun stages. The Saturday night shrimp and prime rib dinner is truly amazing.

Bordertown is my favorite. Regular shooters can feel like winners and world class shooters lay down some amazing strings. Speaking of Bordertown, it's coming up fast! Hope to see you there.

Heluva Rukus, the NY State Championship.  Link:  http://www.circlekregulators.com/

I've been to every one since 2000 and each year they manage to do a better job than the year before.  The stages are well written and the shooter often has an option on how to shoot the stage.  The props range from good on stages that need to be broken down after a shoot to very good for the permanent stages.  The 2019 shoot had people from at least 13 states and Canada.  Until they went to 2 flights several years ago, the shoot would fill up in days and most of us sent our applications by next day mail to make sure we got in.

Heluva Rukus in Ballston Spa, NY and Winter Range in Phoenix, AZ.

I'm going to Comin at Cha next week so I hope to add it to my list.

25 minutes ago, Go West said:

Bordertown is my favorite. Regular shooters can feel like winners and world class shooters lay down some amazing strings. Speaking of Bordertown, it's coming up fast! Hope to see you there.

Almost any but yep Bordertown right outside historic Tombstone.  Folks work hard and it shows.

Considering the open spot list fills out in 3 days, they must be doing something right!

They are even having to limit the Wild Bunch shooters.

Heluva Rukus has my vote as well, I've shot every Rukus since they had them and some before it was the NY state championship. The people that run the match are great, The stages don't have "P" traps and if a shooter screws up on a stage it's because they over thought it. This is a match that should be on your list of "Must shoot" matches.

http://www.circlekregulators.com/heluvarukus.html

Too tough of a question to nail down to just one match. Of course WR is gonna be hard to beat. EOT has put on some dandy matches, and every year the Western Regional at Chorro Valley is great! I must admit that I love our Fort Miller match in the Fresno Area in April. It has a lot of Old Time Flavor on a great Cowboy Range. Peace in the Valley, in ND. was just wonderful... wish they were a bit closer to California. I'm looking forward to a return to the RR Bar range for the next California State match, and sometime while I'm still able to get around, I would love to attend Commin at cha. I've heard nothing but good things about what T Bone and crew do. WOW... there are great matches everywhere!

Snakebite

21 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

The Gunfight Behind The Jersey Lilly back in the day was one heck of a match. Of late, because of range issues it’s fallen on hard times but it’s coming up this weekend and if I know Smokestack and and the rest of the bunch that put the match together it’s going to be lots of fun.

I’ve never shot a match at EOT but there is just something about making the trip to Founders Ranch in New Mexico each year that just gets in my blood. Come January I’ll start planning and EOT is always the first trip listed on the page, it’s that special to me.

I’ve  been to Winter Range as a visitor many times but in 2020 I’m shooting the match and I hope it becomes just as special as EOT is to me.

When the construction is complete at Cajon the Legends Of The West Match will be back in business and IMHO its one of the best matches going. Bear Trap and company know how to stage a cowboy match that really satisfies.

The Crap  Shoot at RR Bar is another one that is a must do. The facades, location and the Lions Club that runs the range and the kitchen keep everyone smiling, fed and content. I hear through the grapevine that the California State Championship will be held here starting in 2020!!!!!

The Western Divisional at Chorro Valley is probably one of the nicest locations for a CAS match that you’ll find. Great weather and just a few miles from the coast make it a great location and Sinful and El Laso know how to write fun stages. The Saturday night shrimp and prime rib dinner is truly amazing.

If you've got any gas left after the RR Bar next April, come give us a try at Fort Miller, it's two weeks later. 

Snakebite

I’ve only been in the game 2 1/2 years. But from my experiences my two favorite are The return of the Buffalo at Briggsdale county shootists.  And He’ll on wheels, with Border Vigilantes’s . Two great clubs, Two great shoots that draw all the great people from near and far!

Bordertown-

Where can u walk down the streets where Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday and Johnny Ringo once walked. 

1st Class match and Extra BIG and close targets. 

This years Winter Range was out standing it's always well organized with great stages.Thanks to Blackjack Zac and crew. 

Hells Comin 

58 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

If you've got any gas left after the RR Bar next April, come give us a try at Fort Miller, it's two weeks later. 

Snakebite

It’ll be on the calendar.

12 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

Bordertown-

Where can u walk down the streets where Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday and Johnny Ringo once walked. 

1st Class match and Extra BIG and close targets. 

This years Winter Range was out standing it's always well organized with great stages.Thanks to Blackjack Zac and crew. 

Hells Comin 

How’s that song go “ It never rains in Arizona”?:P

I like any match after our match director comes back from other regional matches with something new and fun to try. I say Doughslinger does a heck of a job at Pine Ridge Regulators. However, using movie quotes from Mary Poppins was a tad interesting to say the least.

For me, it is a shoot that doesn't exist anymore, at least not in it's original format. The Charity Shoot for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Twelve stages over two days at two clubs. Great shoot with great raffle prizes donated by some of the well known names in the sport. Attended by shooters from several states. In 15 years, it raised over $250,000.00 for the hospital. Manatee would post what a great shoot it was and someone would ask who won. His reply was, "The kids."

3 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

It’ll be on the calendar.

I look forward to shooting with you.   Bring plenty of ammo.  The side matches this year are going to have some unique events.  They, along with the main match by Snakebite will be well worth the drive.   

Pick one? Not sure I could.

Only been to one WR. And it was REALLY good. That might be my pick.

No match gives me the adrenaline rush shooting a stage like EOT. So really like that

about it. But now my favorite.

As for matches that I could get to every year. Hell Fire down at Slick's is one that have really enjoyed

every time I get to shoot it.

Think I would really enjoy Bordertown. Once we retire I hope to be able to shoot it.

Archived