SASS Wire Forum

SASS State Championships

Knucky McPee

This is my opinion and not meant to be offensive in any way,  but why do you have to be from the state of the SASS State Championship in order to be that state champion.  If you travel to that state and win in my mind you are that state champ.  It would be up to you to return to that state the next year to defend your title.  I have pards calling me the SASS Washington State Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter Champ. I tell them no, Jed I Knight is the champion and I finished second.  I don’t care what state or country he is from and he beat us all and therefore the SASS Washington State Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter Champion in my book.  He or anyone else traveling to another state for their SASS State Championship and wins deserves that title and buckle.  This is a dumb rule and needs to be changed. I know this is just a title and my wife and I enjoy very much to travel to other states and meet new friends and have fun.  In the end that’s what it is all about. 

Knucky McPolack

https://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/2020 State CAS Agreement FINAL.pdf

Determining the SASS State Cowboy Action Shooting Champions:

- The highest overall placed male and female whose primary US residence is located within the State boundaries will be recognized as the SASS State Champions and will receive a free entry to their Regional Event.

- The determination of primary residence may be established by any one of the following means:

• A valid US Driver’s License

• Residential status confirmed by most recent County Taxation documents

• Current utility bill for the nominated address in the state/region

- Details

• Shooters from outside the region are encouraged and welcome to compete and may win their nominated shooting category and match overall but are not eligible to win the SASS State/Regional Champion title.

• Shooters who own multiple residences must declare one as their primary residence and will only be eligible to win the SASS Champion award for that region in which they designated as their primary residence.

• Shooters may only compete for the recognized SASS State/Regional Champion award in one Region in a Calendar Year period. (NO dual residence competing)

I disagree with changing the rule.  State champions are the state residents as outlined by SASS.  As the host club of our state championship, we do honor our shooters in the order of finish, but the top resident in each category is the state champ in that category.  The top residents (male and female) are our state champs.  The overall top gun is the match top gun.  Allowing the 1st place finisher, regardless of residency, to be the state champ would open the door to allow someone to pick up more than one state championship title as they travel from match to match.  Changing this would also require that regional matches allow for those outside the region to win, and for the national championship to do so all for those outside the US.  
You are indeed the SASS Washington State Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter Champ because you were the highest scoring frontier cartridge gunfighter from the state of Washington who competed in the match.  It's possible that you may not even be the best frontier cartridge gunfighter residing in the state.  However, again, you were the highest scoring Washington resident frontier cartridge gunfighter who competed in the match!  That is what the award is for.  

Brings it to the state level for those living in that state to have fun. If I was the fastest world champion then I could go to every state and be that state champion, no one else would have a chance. I could still be over-all winner, but could not be a state champion as the rules are now. And it should be that way in my opinion. I am the state champion in a few black powder categories but in no way would I be any challenge to the world champs from other states. Makes it fun.

Knucky McPolack, Rec leagues are set up the same way. You have county or city champs, state champs, national champs, and world champs. You wouldn't ask who the state champions are for Washington and it be some team from Tennessee. 

Tennessee Williams

-Nobodys state champion but the best and most humble shooter to set foot in his backyard range.

As you can see in Branchwater Jack's link, it's not really a rule, it's part of the contract signed between the sponsoring club and SASS. Same for Divisional and National championships. It is the way SASS wants it, that's why it is in the contract.

4 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

-Nobodys state champion but the best and most humble shooter to set foot in his backyard range.

You have to be the TN State Champion nanner split eater.

6 hours ago, MizPete said:

This issue was settled a couple of decades ago.  And it wasn't just SASS.  The States wanted it.  Just ride with it.

I agree with MizPete, Knucky!  Just go with the flow pard!  You are Washington’s Champion.  I’ll see ya next weekend and we can duke it out on the range.  :P

Archived