SASS Wire Forum

Hunting, hunting lands in Texas.

Dorado

Need some help pards. I've been itching to do some deer or hog hunting. Problem is that I can't seem to find a decent place that either isn't packed shoulder to shoulder with other hunters, doesn't break the bank, or have some strange rule such as "Can't hunt on the weekends 'cause that's when I hunt". True story about that last one.

Looked into public hunting but the nearest place that I can find that would allow me to hunt deer or hog with a rifle seems packed with every would-be hunter. I'd only be able to get in late season hunts.  Which doesn't bother me except that I don't have much time around the new year season. May give it a go anyways.

If y'all know a landowner who's friendly towards hunters or if y'all got any leads on a good bit a land to hunt. I'd much appreciate it. I've got a couple of people interested in hunting but I just can't seem to find a good place.

I'm in Wichita Falls, Tx. About an hour and a half northwest of Dallas. I'd like to stay within Tx if possible 3 hour drive would be about max as I'd have to be able to make it back for work..

I really miss my old lease, that place was like home...

Welcome  to Texas!

Your best bet is to marry a rancher's daughter.

Second best bet is to move to another state.

Public land is scarce in Texas and what little there is looks like it has broken out in Measels on opening day of deer season.

There is some national grassland in the panhandle where you can shoot prarie dogs to your heart's content and also find a few doves.

Matador Wildlife Management Area is not too far from you by Texas standards and  you might check for other WMAs. 

Also, look North.  Oklahoma does have some public lands and the non-resident tag is a heck of a lot cheaper than a hunting lease in Texas.

Good luck (you'll need it)

Duffield

WOW I live in Western Pa. There are over 100k acres of State game lands open to public hunting within a half hour of me and probably two million more acres across the state. There are also tens of thousands of acres of National and State park land open to hunting. There is no shortage of either public or private land open to hunting 

17 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

WOW I live in Western Pa. There are over 100k acres of State game lands open to public hunting within a half hour of me and probably two million more acres across the state. There are also tens of thousands of acres of National and State park land open to hunting. There is no shortage of either public or private land open to hunting 

Count your blessings. Venison is by far the most expensive meat there is in TX. 

7 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Count your blessings. Venison is by far the most expensive meat there is in TX. 

There were six in my yard yesterday there are so many deer here that they are a pia. They love eating everything that I plant and lord help the shrubs in the winter. Somehow they all manage to disappear opening day 

17 hours ago, Dorado said:

If y'all know a landowner who's friendly towards hunters or if y'all got any leads on a good bit a land to hunt. I'd much appreciate it. I've got a couple of people interested in hunting but I just can't seem to find a good place.

I'm in Wichita Falls, Tx. About an hour and a half northwest of Dallas. I'd like to stay within Tx if possible 3 hour drive would be about max as I'd have to be able to make it back for work..

If I had a lead like that, I'd be using it myself! 

Look into hunting on wildlife management areas.  Might be too late this year, but they are all over the state and managed fairly well.  My dad and I did it for a few years when I was young.  You apply for a hunt at the WMA(s) of your choice and there's a lottery drawing to determine who gets to go.  I forget how much it costs, but heck even if I did remember, I'm sure the price has gone up by now.  But we was broke when I was young and my dad always found a way to put in for 2 or 3.  Other than that first year, we always got drawn for at least one.  I'm pretty sure you have to put some money up to get into the lottery but you get it back if you're not drawn. 

We always went to WMAs with camping areas and stayed for a few days.  But they had some with cabins and some that were like day leases. 

9 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Michigan is the same. I have 40 acres but another 1000 acres of federal all around me. My grandpa had to quit hunting when he moved to Texas.

Good luck pard.

Problem is all the ranches and large farms took up most of the good hunting lands. I found a couple of WMA's that I can hunt for little more than the cost of a permit. Public lands are probably going to be my best bet but it's always worth asking. Last year I tried going door to door to some local land owners but I struck out.

I'll keep looking. I'm planning a scouting trip to a public land east of here that allows rifles.

I'll also look into hunting in Oklahoma. It's $300 for an out of state license but if I can find a good place then it might be worth it.

Archived