SASS Wire Forum

Silver tarnish

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

I have one of my late wife's necklaces that I'd like to give as a gift.  It is very  high grade silver and I managed to get it shined up really well, BUT...... I can't get it to stop turning almost everything it touches  black.  Seems like many moons ago there was a liquid product that rinsed away all of the tarnish, but the ones I find all specify that they are not to be used on silver.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Tarn-x. Completely removes tarnish but doesn’t polish. Smells bad. Works great.

After reading more than I care to know about silver polish and cleaning chemicals I find there is a lot of misinformation on the interwebs.

Definitely consult a Jeweler. ;)

I've used Tarn-x to clean and polish medals for years and found i does a great job.

Could there be two or more types??

My bottle specifically says "Instantly removes tarnish from sterling silver, silver plate, platinum, cooper, gold., cleans diamonds."

I always use TarnX on my sterling silver stuff. :wacko:

Tarn-X is the original "wipe & rinse" tarnish remover specifically formulated for sterling silver, silver plate, platinum, copper, gold and diamonds. Tarn-X removes tarnish quickly and easily — just "wipe and rinse."

Have you tried baking soda and hot water?

Aluminum, hot water and baking sida creat a chemical reaction with silver tarnish. It just disappears.

If you don't have an aluminum pan, I've lined a pyrex baking dish with aluminum foil snd used it.

1 hour ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

I believe you are going to be here in Las Vegas.

M & I International

Clock and Jewelry repair.

http://mi-jewelry.com/

Ace, I'm coming in late on the 11th, the wedding and reception are the 12th, and I'll be leaving after breakfast on the 13th.  If I work it right I should only be gone from my home for about 46 hours, including 12 hours on the highway.  

Thanks anyway.

Found this. Hard to know who to believe.

Chemical dips, including Tarn-x, are some of the most destructive tarnish removers!

http://www.hermansilver.com/tarn-x.htm

Been using Goddard's on jewelry and flatware (sterling, not plate) for years.  True, you don't want to overdo it.  But, for occasional use, it's the very best.

Jeweler ays my bottle is an antique and that he uses Tarn-X all the time.  Told me not to leave it on for too long but it rinses off with cold water.

Cost me $5.99 for a bottle.  I'll try it tomorrow.

Thanks, all.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Jeweler ays my bottle is an antique and that he uses Tarn-X all the time.  Told me not to leave it on for too long but it rinses off with cold water.

Cost me $5.99 for a bottle.  I'll try it tomorrow.

Thanks, all.

Come to think of it I do seem to recall warnings about silver and Tarn-x years ago. I’ve been dipping my wif’s jewelry in it for a long time with no apparent ill effects.

Just the silver though, not the gemstones.

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Come to think of it I do seem to recall warnings about silver and Tarn-x years ago. I’ve been dipping my wif’s jewelry in it for a long time with no apparent ill effects.

Just the silver though, not the gemstones.

No gem stones.  He mentioned that, too, but all I have is a hematite intaglio ring that belonged to my dad, and some ivory.

So far, so good.

Archived