SASS Wire Forum

Your gun that is most fun to shoot.

Like most of us it’s hard to pick a favorite “child”.  My mdl 61 Winchester made in 1941 is the favorite volume shooter. But my real favorite shooter is my original Remington Rolling Block carbine in .50-70.  Straight shooter out to a reasonable range.  Thump, smoke and fire!  See it’s picture in my avatar. 

Seamus

I read Birdgun Quail's original post soon after it came online, and I have found it to be thought provoking and difficult to answer.  That's why I am showing up on the page 2!! :D

I realized that the gun I enjoy shooting the most is one I have not shot in a long time.

The winner -- my grandfather's Winchester Model 42 , .410 pump shotgun, manufactured in 1938.    I borrowed it from Papa many times when I was in high school and college, and it accounted for a lot of rabbits, quail, doves, and several pheasants, as well as a few cases of clay birds at the skeet range.  I came to me a few years ago after my uncle passed away, so it will get some exercise this fall.

1481548959_WinchesterModel42.thumb.JPG.e8035829614bf37dcff3527fcfa7547c.JPG

35 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

The winner -- my grandfather's Winchester Model 42 , .410 pump shotgun, manufactured in 1938.    I borrowed it from Papa many times when I was in high school and college, and it accounted for a lot of rabbits, quail, doves, and several pheasants, as well as a few cases of clay birds at the skeet range.  I came to me a few years ago after my uncle passed away, so it will get some exercise this fall.

1481548959_WinchesterModel42.thumb.JPG.e8035829614bf37dcff3527fcfa7547c.JPG

Interesting that right after my post mentioning my Winchester 61 you mention the Model 42.  Both of those guns are “little brother” look alikes of the unmatched Winchester Model 12; The Perfect Repeater. Ironic that my own Model 12 in 20 gauge, passed down to me from my father, was also made in 1938.  He used it to take many pheasants in the Midwest and just a couple weeks ago I used it to take nearly a full limit of doves on opening day.   I expect that your Granpa’s 42 can still do the job as well.  Below is a pic of the Model 12, yet another of my favorite guns to shoot, along with part of my opening day harvest  

701D3C45-F430-4FA1-A7DB-BFFA37E0E2E2.thumb.jpeg.1a36ed39000fda4e4c99f670422473cb.jpeg

Seamus

I would like to revamp my selection, please.

I have actually been giving this a lot of thought. Well, off and on...Anyway, out of all my guns the ones that I have the most fun with are the ones I have in my hands at the time.

I really like all my guns. I enjoy all of my guns and have fun with each of them. Even the ones that I do not shoot often. The all bring back unique memories. I love cleaning them, working on them, buying accessories for them. They are all “fun” in their own way.

So, the gun I gave the most fun with is the gun or guns I have in my hands at the time.:)

Birdgun, that's a hard question. Aside from my cowboy guns, I'd need to break them up in category type.

Revolver would have to be one of my performance center smiths. Its probably my favorite handgun of all mine. Smith model 327 trr8 I slicked up with double action only hammer.

Pistol would be my STI limited 9mm.

Shotgun would be my LC Smith single barrel trap. It's a 1 of 5 made crown grade with 34" barrel. It's followed closely by a Browning 725 Trap and a beretta 682 gold E.

Rifles are not my absolute favorite and kind of tight with no clear cut favorite. 

My favorite would be my Model 52 Winchester... 'cept I never quite got around to getting one.  That said, I truly do enjoy shooting it's substitute, my MAS 45 [Mauser .22 "trainer"].

Simple, accurate, robust, quiet, pleasant to shoot.   :)

Not mine, but similar

Image result for mas 45

Mine is my custom .220 Ackley Improved Swift. I built the rifle and stock. started with a 03 Springfield action, Shilen SS match barrel and topped with a 6 x 20 Leupold VXIII scope. I built the thumbhole walnut stock. Shoots sub moa groups and I shoot lots of prairie dogs and coyotes with it.

220 Imp Swift with Chrono.jpg

.220 AI Swift 3 shot group 002.JPG

On 9/15/2019 at 4:56 PM, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

A 1950s vintage Marlin 39A. Dad’s brought it home when I was about 10. He was to clean and do some repair work on it for a friend of his. Of course, we had to take it to the range once to make sure it all worked okay. 

Charlie, let me tell you about a Marlin 39A ...

I've mentioned Bob Beymer now and again, he appeared as someone in the pale eyed Sheriff's life in the various Firelands adventures, and he was my best friend.

He had a 39A that was every bit as accurate as the one you describe.

Bob went to Ohio State, and as a gun man and a professional gunsmith, he naturally gravitated to their rifle team.

Bob looked like what he was -- a Guernsey County dirt farmer -- words were spoken, bets were made, and he returned after a weekend home with a rifle case behind the seat of his burgundy shortbed truck.

The OSU rifle team shot Savage-Anschutz rifles with Eley practice ammunition.

The bets were stated, hands solemnly shaken, and Brother Beymer loaded up with CCI Mini Mags, and outshot the OSU rifle team with a Marlin golden 39A.

They bought the beer.

20 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Revolver would have to be one of my performance center smiths. Its probably my favorite handgun of all mine. Smith model 327 trr8 I slicked up with double action only hammer.

My 327 Night Guard was the reason I went back and made a second post. I love that revolver. Of course, I really like all my guns, otherwise I wouldn’t have the ones I didn’t. 

One time  at a fund raising event you were able, for a fee, to shoot a Gatling gun and a civil war cannon. I must admit the Gatling gun was too much fun but the cannon was an absolute "hoot"!

50 minutes ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

One time  at a fund raising event you were able, for a fee, to shoot a Gatling gun and a civil war cannon. I must admit the Gatling gun was too much fun but the cannon was an absolute "hoot"!

Now talk about a cannon that is an absolute "hoot"!  I don't have a Civil War cannon, but I've got a little miniature cannon very similar to a full size Civil War cannon and it is fun to shoot.  Below are some videos of my mini-cannon in action firing BB (round shot), #12 pellets (canister), and double loaded with #12 pellets (canister) over a BB (round shot).  The videos I found most fun are of the little cannon taking on enemy carrot infantry and enemy carrot cavalry.   DEATH TO ALL CARROTS!!!

There are six videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4YlGnKSK-VB38fNM8wZNiQ

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:22 PM, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Like most of us it’s hard to pick a favorite “child”.

I agree. For me it's probably a toss-up between my Uberti 1873 short rifle in .357 and my M16A1 replica. With either one I usually leave the range wishing I'd brought more ammo.

My current gun that’s most fun to shoot is the AR pistol I just built. 8 1/2” barrel, .300 blackout, 110 grain bullets. Way fun!

I have a Nylon 66 that I bought in 1966..... I put a Weaver Quick Point sight on it in 1968...... 

Best dam gun I have ever owned... (It is a pain to load though! )

On 9/17/2019 at 8:49 AM, Tennessee williams said:

Birdgun, that's a hard question. Aside from my cowboy guns, I'd need to break them up in category type.

Pistol would be my STI limited 9mm.

Shotgun would be my LC Smith single barrel trap. It's a 1 of 5 made crown grade with 34" barrel. It's followed closely by a Browning 725 Trap and a beretta 682 gold E.

Rifles are not my absolute favorite and kind of tight with no clear cut favorite. 

Much like TW I would have to break them up by category.  

My absolute favorite cowboy gun to shoot is my Uberti 1873 built by Harlan Wolf.

My favorite non-cowboy gun to shoot is my Colt Commander with XS Big Dot sights.  It feels like the gun is an extension of me and the bullets just seem to go where I want them to go.

My SHTF favorite working gun if I need to shoot someone is my Mossberg 930.  The only time I really needed it, it came through for me.  Picking it up was like a glass of cold water after a week in the desert. 

On 9/20/2019 at 8:46 PM, Tom Bullweed said:

Any quality .22 handgun or rifle, a brick of good ammo and an afternoon at a landfill with some friends.  There is no end of the variety of targets.

Yes, indeed.

We just got back from a 4-day trip over to Carson City, NV.
After 4 days there, we noticed a complete absence of something:  bums and tent cities.

Carson City also has a rifle and pistol range that is free and open to the public on selected days.
We took said brick of 22s, our new Henry Frontier and pair of Single-Six Bisleys out to said landfill.

The facility is FAR and away more than we expected.
It has concrete shooters tables, fully covered shooters areas, and an on-site range officer.

The public range, and no bums, is reason enough to relocate here.

Before I got old and feeble, the SG ('87 or '97) was my favorite. Now it is a 1911. If any of my local peeps want to know why I don't shoot WBAS more, there are two reasons. The second is neck pain (from the SG and brass picking). The first, I will only share privately.

My If I had to give up all but two 10 1/2 " SS SBH in 44mag and my S+W mod 41 22lr. Ive had them both since the 1980s and both are capable of accuracy greater than my own.

Imis But I do like a good CZ too

I was so enamored of the Carson City public range, I forget to mention more about the new Henry Frontier.
This one is simply a joy to shoot!

Right out of the box, the action is smooth and the sights are dead-on at 50 yards.
Recoil is non-existent, fit and finish is superb.
I'm a sucker for octagon barrels in lever rifles, and this Henry delivers it all.

My TC Contender Pistol in 45-70 was always fun to shoot...once.

Recently developed a Wild Bunch inspired interest in old military guns...…        Got myself an 1895 Steyr Infantry Rifle ( 8 x 56R Straight Pull, 5 round Mannlicher style en bloc clip fed) and the matching Austro-Hungarian service pistol...the 1912 Steyr.    My cuurent faves...lol   (Picture doesn't show mine...but close enough!)

M95Rifle.jpg

Archived