SASS Wire Forum

Your gun that is most fun to shoot.

We here have guns that we carry for defense, guns that we hunt with, guns that we play Cowboy with, and then we have guns that are just so much fun to shoot.  The gun that just a joy to shoot.

I know we all have many, but right now, which one gun comes to mind you find is just so much fun to shoot?

Mine is my Winchester Model 67 single shot rifle. 

My mother bought this rifle for my dad to slaughter hogs and provide cottontail rabbits for the table.  Mom gave it to Dad on Christmas Day, 1946 (I was less than 3-months old).  Dad was going to college and we were living on Dad's GI Bill education payments.  Buying this rifle for Dad threw Mom's budget into a real pinch.  The rifle cost the princely sum of $15. 

Dad taught me about gun safety and how to shoot with his .22 rifle.  On my 16th birthday, Dad gave me his .22.  As a boy, teenager, and adult, I can't tell you how many rabbits I've bagged with this rifle.  And to this day it is a tack driver.  When I want to do some just simple fun plinking, I get out Dad's .22.  It is always fun to shoot.

Winchester Model 67 in .22 Short, Long, & Long Rifle.

PTZuUe.jpg

MluIyI.jpg

MS6Yfq.jpg

I took Dad's .22 to the range a few months back for some just fun shooting.  Before I started plinking, I set a target up at 25 yards.  I wanted to see if Dad's .22 was still shooting true, so from the bench, I took a shot.

I think that's close enough...^_^

CfJCgy.jpg

:D

A 1950s vintage Marlin 39A. Dad’s brought it home when I was about 10. He was to clean and do some repair work on it for a friend of his. Of course, we had to take it to the range once to make sure it all worked okay. 

I fell in love with it from the get go and finally asked Dad if he’d approach his friend about selling it to me. I’d saved about $50 in lawn mowing and snow shoveling money, and hoped that would be enough. 

A few days later he came home from work after talking to his friend. He’d sure enough agreed to sell the gun. But to Mom and Dad as an early birthday present for me. 

My daughter and I had it out a few weeks ago. It’s still the sweetest shooting and most memorable 22 in the safe. 

My grandfather taught me to shoot with a Winchester model 67 when I was six years old.  When I was ten, he got a Remington model 512 for me.  That original is long gone, but I bought a 512 at an auction a few years back and shooting it takes me back to my early days as a shooter.

Duffield

Three come to mind:

Model 95 Browning in .30-40 Krag. It's a repro of the '95 Winchester and I've put a receiver bridge sight on it and removed the original barrel-mounted rear sight.  It has a barrel band front hook-and-eye sling mount and an old style Winchester hook-and-eye sling mount on the butt.

1991 .45 by Rock Island Arms. Only mods to it is a set of SARCO double diamond grips and I'm waiting for a custom blue refinish.

Either (count as one gun)of my 5 1/2" SAA American Western Arms six-guns.  Tuned to a fair-thee-well and dead accurate at 40-50 feet.

I'm about to add a pair of Uberti 1860 Army revolvers tuned as well as the AMA guns.  They are not cut for butt stocks and have a three screw frame and nickel plated back straps and trigger guards.  I'm looking for a good set of "ivory grips" for them and just received a Rick Bachmann (Old West Reproductions, Florence, Montana) gun belt and holsters for them.  Got "wedding band" pattern carving on the holsters with a Will Ghormley clip corner white bronze buckle and they are a truly elegant combination.  

I believe that all other things equal a man shoots better with pretty guns.  Sort of unconsciously living up to the image.

Hmmm...I cannot pick just one. ;)

I had actually listed 4 but Birdgun said “gun most fun to shoot” so here was it is. I deleted the others.

Glock 45 in 9mm. I enjoy this gun very much.

16 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Everything I own in 22LR, cuz I shoot all day for cheap.

THIS   ^

Henry .22 Evil Roy model

Henry .22 Golden Boy Youth 

4 Ruger 10/22's,  all fully custom.

S&W model 41  

2 Browning Buckmarks

Ruger MK IV Volquartsen custom

WInchester 9422

Browning 1911-22 (7/8 scale)

S&W M&P Compact .22

Marlin model 101  (this is a single shot, bolt with the cocking handle shaped like a 'T'.

2 Marlin model 60's.  Although cheap in price, these are every bit as fun as the Ruger 10/22's.

..........Widder

Howdy,

Easy peasey.

Grand champ num one:::::::Win 1892 44 win.

Best

CR

and boy does it have the competition.

No pic handy but you can picture a tired old 92, blue worn thin and missing

in places, stock scraped up. Very tired, but shoots like crazy in anyones hands.

No lasers, no scopes no engraving or fussy stuff.

Just take a 6 oclock hold on a target and ring steel.

My Uberti copies of the 1873 Winchester.  Two actually come to mind.  The first was my first...a Deluxe Border Rifle in 38/357 Magnum.  The second I bought as a 45 Colt Saddle Ring Carbine, then had it converted to 38-40.  They're my favorite shooting guns.

These are my favorites.

8B16434B-C824-49C3-B1EF-97CD5C85E7E2.jpeg

AR-15 lower with a Fostech ECHO II trigger in binary mode w/223 Wylde upper.  Unless with your weak hand pull the butt firmly into your shoulder it is nearly impossible to not double tap the target. 

The next most fun to shoot is a CZ452 silhouette.  Off a rest I can break beer bottles at 100 yards with every pull of the trigger.

I have a S & W Model 52 (no dash) built in 1963.  I've had it since about 1980.  When I pick it up, it is just a part of me.

It depends.

Handgun would be a Smith and Wesson Model 41 .22LR given to me by my father-in-law. It shoots far more accurately than I am capable of.

Rifle would be a Winchester 9422M, .22WMR, given to my by my brother on my 18th birthday. It also shoots better than I can, but it is a blast. It is probably the reason I'm a Cowboy Action shooter.

Shotgun would be a Browning BT-99 trap gun. It was given to me by my father-in-law as my first trap gun. It was also his first trap gun. I shot in college with it, along with the Grand American and many other trap shoots with it, and it just fits me right. To this day when I pick it up, I feel a connection to him.

Hmm

For cowboy it is the 10 gauge with heavy loads

For general plinking any of the following depending on my mood:  the Martini Cadet in .22 LR, the Martini-Henry in 45-70 with the Unertl scope, the Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless in .32 ACP.

For shooting skeet any of my British hammerguns with either smokeless or black powder loads depending on what they are proofed for.

H001TRP

The Henry small game rifle

Octagon barrel (feels like a proper lever action), peep rear sight (great for bad eyes), large loop for year round shooting, 22lr for cheap plinking.

Had the golden boy and it was nice but the drop was too much for me and the open sights are not optimal with my eyes.  The standard loop lever was not glove friendly.

Tried the H001L, the hooded front sight was an improvement.  The short carbine sight radius was quick handling but gave up tack driving performance.  It handled very well and was quick to track a running rabbit.  Sometimes too quick to move with a wind gust.

All three were butter smooth and functioned flawless.  

I have a Bulgarian Arsenal, milled receiver AK47 that I've removed the really ugly wooden furniture and substituted a six position collapsible stock and ergonomically correct, for me, ribbed fore end onto it.  I've added a flashlight, (Surefire) a green dot laser, and a 42mm red dot reticle and a nice, comfortable tactical sling.  It takes 75 round drum magazines and feeds like a hog after slop!!  I take it out about four times a year and run the three drum mags and all of my 20 and 30 round stick magazines through it, usually around a thousand rounds, and then disassemble and clean it and inspect and reload all of the magazines!!  It is a fun gun to shoot and it'll be my WTSHTF tool if it comes to that . 

I also have an SKS Model D that takes AK magazines and is similarly outfitted.  It is a little longer overall but is also a riot to shoot.

Because of my admiration of the Finns in standing up to the Soviets in the 1939-40 Winter War, my most fun rifle is a Suomi Model 31 semi-auto carbine in 9mm Luger.  With a stick magazine it holds 36 rounds  and it can make a lot of lead go down range fast but accurately.  

My M1 puts a big smile on my face and I always love firing the 8th round! Patton’s Garand Quotes, “In my opinion, the M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised” So true!!

P1060478.JPG

P1060477.JPG

Pretty much anything 12 gauge.

ARs are always fun.

Black powder .44s from open tops.

Thompson 1928

Cannot pick just one!

Easy choice it would be my Ruger Single Six. I bought it new in 1970 as my first hand gun. We have been together ever since. The finish is worn and it probably has a quarter million rounds through it but it is as tight and accurate as the day I got it. It will be my cold dead hands gun

AS far as pistols go,  my Taylor's Cattleman.

With full house BP cartridges of course. :wub:

Taylor  Cattleman.jpg

1 hour ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Easy choice it would be my Ruger Single Six. I bought it new in 1970 as my first hand gun. We have been together ever since. The finish is worn and it probably has a quarter million rounds through it but it is as tight and accurate as the day I got it. It will be my cold dead hands gun

Yep.  Understand that fully.
I have a blue one from the early 90s, bought two more in 2019 in Bisley stainless 22LR.

This is like asking me to pick my favorite dog.  It depends on my mood and how much space is available.  But when I bring a new shooter to the range, I always carry my beretta Cx4 Storm.  It's a 9mm carbine.  Easy to mount up, fun to shoot, easy to control, cheap ammo and I have 30 round mags for it.  Sometimes the M1 carbine is slightly more favored and sometimes the Ruger 44 carbine is.  But most of the time the Cx4 is top of my list. 

I like to feel a little push against my shoulder though and those little carbines don't have enough recoil to completely unseat the first rifle I ever bought.  My Springfield M1A is "The One" for me.  I expected my garand to beat it out, but I think the garand is broke.  Someday I'm going to go shooting with someone who's got experience with those and figure out if it's me or the rifle. 

Geez I forgot about my new Colt King Cobra! That is probably even more fun to shoot than my SAA's!

Archived