SASS Wire Forum

Question for duelist shooters

Boomstick Bruce

im using double buscadero rig. when i shot two handed i just transitioned the left gun to my right hand and cocked both guns with my left hand. now that i'm shooting duelist can i draw the left pistol, cock it with my left hand before i transition it to my right hand and then proceed as usual firing it with my right hand and cocking with the right????

6 minutes ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

No.  Page 14 shooters handbook.

- A cocked revolver may never leave a shooters hand, including from one hand to the other. This does not apply when loading or reloading on the firing line.

ahhhh, thank you, i was looking at the duelist rules and didnt see anything about it...

Duelist style is defined as shooting a revolver cocked and fired onehanded and unsupported.  The revolver, hand, or shooting arm may not be touched by the offhand except when resolving a malfunctioning revolver problem or when transferring the revolver from one hand to the other.

SHB p.6 - Duelist regs

- A cocked revolver leaving the shooters hand. 

SHB p.23 - SDQ penalties

7 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Duelist style is defined as shooting a revolver cocked and fired onehanded and unsupported.  The revolver, hand, or shooting arm may not be touched by the offhand except when resolving a malfunctioning revolver problem or when transferring the revolver from one hand to the other.

yup saw that, that's what spawned my question...  was thinking "could i cock the left gun with my left hand after drawing but before transitioning  then continue with my right hand..." but i wasnt entirely sure of the legal issue until Cheatin Charlie pointed it out...

Not sure that would be a good idea even if legal.

You for sure would be asking for some AD's to happen.

Transferring a cocked loaded gun just don't sound like a good idea.

See very few duelist shooters not shooting double duelist anymore.

I still transfer left to right at times. But not very often. 99% is DD.

Faster with my left. More accurate with my right. 

If I was going to shoot duelist and only shoot with my right hand. Would might look real hard at going

X draw.

2 hours ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

If I was going to shoot duelist and only shoot with my right hand. Would might look real hard at going

X draw.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! You should be tarred and feathered for suggesting such a thing right now!!!!

i waited almost 3 month for this rig to be made... i switched to duelist while i was waiting...:rolleyes:

Why are you switching to Duelist in the first place?

Duelist will always potentially be slower than two handed shooting. Why try to shoot it the same way as two handed?

Your "make-up" with Duelist is that you can have two pistols out at the same time (no re-holster) and you don't take time to switch hands. While your shooting the first pistol, your other hand has all the time in the world to get a good grip i[on the next pistol which you can't do two handed. Better accuracy.

"Clear the mechanism" and just shoot Duelist. Unsupported, both hands, and take the advantages to making up for a slow cock with one hand.

If you do not want to shoot weak hand, I can't understand why you want to switch.

2 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! You should be tarred and feathered for suggesting such a thing right now!!!!

i waited almost 3 month for this rig to be made... i switched to duelist while i was waiting...:rolleyes:

Ok. I see xdraw is OUT.

But Double Duelist really opens up some fun transitions.

I shoot Duelist because it seems very traditional, yes, I draw the left hand gun with left hand and then transfer to my right..... speed doesn't much matter to me. Accuracy is certainly up to speed however. Doesn't matter whether or not which type of handgun I use, cap and ball or cartridge....it it the same for ME.

Bugler

Blast .... OK.  Go Ahead.  Walk up and tell Cheatin Charlie shooting dualist is SLOWER.  Then put yer pay check onna table and shoot agin him.  And .... By the way, he's gonna wax your butt shootin CAP GUNS.

Slower.  Sheesh awreddy

6 minutes ago, Bugler said:

I shoot Duelist because it seems very traditional, yes, I draw the left hand gun with left hand and then transfer to my right..... speed doesn't much matter to me. Accuracy is certainly up to speed however. Doesn't matter whether or not which type of handgun I use, cap and ball or cartridge....it it the same for ME.

Bugler

+1  I have my strong side gun butt rear, and the "off side" gun in a crossdraw holster on my left side.  Occasionally, I will twist draw the lefthand gun and sot it left handed.  "Speed's fine. Accuracy's final! There's no second place winner in a gunfight!" - Bill Jordan, maybe paraphrasing Wyatt Earp! ;)

:rolleyes:  Actually .... it's simple.  Pull the Left gun with the Left hand with your thumb up on the strap.  The Left hand then hands the gun to your Right hand which then shoots the gun then the Right hand hands the gun back to the Left hand which either holsters, or, just holds that gun, whilst the Right hand draws and shoots the Right gun, then holsters the Right gun whilst the Left hand makes final disposition of the Left gun.  See!!  Simple  :)  

Or just pitch this whole "Dualist" idea and just shoot GUNFIGHTER  B)

Bruce ..... :lol:

I well understand your not being comfortable shooting with both hands wrapped around your revolvers.  I have always been about 99% Ambledixtalerious so never really had a "weak" hand.  I've now shot gunfighter so long when the buzzer goes ..... TWO guns come up even if I might think I should shoot the stage "Double Dualist."  Gets me a gob of trouble if there is no prop to stage on.

I truly understand you're quandary.  That is one SUPER FINE double rig.  I'd be jealous except I don't like Remingtons.  ANY Remingtons.  Oh well.  Enjoy that rig no matter what you do.  Unless of course ...... you think it'd fit a Fat Old Guy  :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

? ? ?  Gunfighter?

I shot two handed in Wrangler and it never felt right...

Everyone told me to shoot the based category until I got the feel for CAS, well it's time to shoot what feels natural to me... Fortunately I am already accustomed to transitioning the left gun to my right hand, all I have to do now is remember to drop the left to my side. I've switched to traditional for WB too, for the same reason... 

Archived