SASS Wire Forum

Iran's an idiot

Trigger Mike

Iran is being credited with taking out 50% of Saudi Arabia's oil production.  CNBC says oil could go up $10 a barrel next week.  Guess who benefits from that? WE DO.  Now that we are a net exporter of oil , higher oil prices means more profits for our oil  companies.  Iran just helped our economy by hitting the saudi's.

4 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

They are saying around here maybe 20-25 cents a gallon.

Regardless of whether the actual cost of gasoline rises as a result, you can bet your bippy they will use it as an excuse to raise the prices at the pump.  Gotta fill up my tank today before the increases kick in...if they haven't already! :angry:

Let the Saudis handle it. They’ve got a pile of US tanks, jets, bombs, uniforms they got from us.

10 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Economic law of supply and demand.  

Har. That has nothing to do with it. They’ll raise the price of the already refined and stored gas. They do it all the time.

It’s the Economic law of greed.

4 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Har. That has nothing to do with it. They’ll raise the price of the already refined and stored gas. They do it all the time.

It’s the Economic law of greed.

You sell widgets.  Your profit per widget is 10 cents.  One of your material suppliers raise their price to you by 10 cents per widget.  Do you wait until all of your widget inventory are sold before increasing your pricing?  If you do, your company made no profit AND you will lose interest on money you have invested behave you need more money to by materials.  So actually you lost money on every inventory widget you sold.

1 hour ago, Matthew Duncan said:

You sell widgets.  Your profit per widget is 10 cents.  One of your material suppliers raise their price to you by 10 cents per widget.  Do you wait until all of your widget inventory are sold before increasing your pricing?  If you do, your company made no profit AND you will lose interest on money you have invested behave you need more money to by materials.  So actually you lost money on every inventory widget you sold.

The gas inventories on hand at the stations will not be depleted. Each new delivery is priced accordingly. But the fuel already delivered and in the tank will be boosted up to the new price. Happens every time there is an oil “Crisis. Been doing it since the 70s.

The petroleum industry is far different than your average widget company.

1 hour ago, Matthew Duncan said:

I don't know of any business that doesn't use LIFO accounting to determine cost of goods sold.  "Last In First Out"

What I have noticed is that anytime there is a pipeline break, a refinery goes down for maintance or repair, there is a cut back in crude production, it is a holiday weekend, they are changing over gas from one season to the other with summer blend to winter blend - that the price jumps immediately up, then once the cause for the spike it over, it takes quite awhile for the price to drop back down. Up overnight, back down sloooooooooowwwly.

I read that the Saudi's said they would have repairs done by Monday and then I read that Trump was going to release US reserves to make up for any world loss in production. Course that was in the news so who knows, so much of what is reported is wrong now-a-days.  But I'd be surprised if the prices don't go up anyway, those boys in futures like their money ya know.

Also agree that Iran is acting like idiots - not so much even the oil price thing as they are setting themselves up to get parts of their infrastructure blown to hell. 

7 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

oh and its high time we wipe the iranians off the map... take out their neighbors too.... screw it, turn all those dirty raghead countries into glass...

then we'll work on cleaning up dearbornistan and all of minnesota...

For anyone visiting the Saloon for the first time, know that there is at least one SASS member who appreciates the subtleties of Middle Eastern politics, has great respect for the Iranian people while being mystified by the refinery attack’s goal, and has no problem with legal immigrants in Michigan, Minnesota, or wherever they’ve made home. 

That person would be me. 

And I consider “r——d” to be a vulgarity that is beneath the dignity of this forum. 

The attack seems to have hurt China as they get some of their oil there which might help us win the trade war.  

As for the rag word being offensive us Iraq war veterans were taught that word and used it regularly just as Vietnam vets used the slang they were taught for the enemy.  To us it describes someone we had to use violence with and just makes it easier. 

36 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

The attack seems to have hurt China as they get some of their oil there which might help us win the trade war.  

As for the rag word being offensive us Iraq war veterans were taught that word and used it regularly just as Vietnam vets used the slang they were taught for the enemy.  To us it describes someone we had to use violence with and just makes it easier. 

True. But time marches on. I don't use the same words I did years ago.

37 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

Yes, “us vets” of every war, including me, create terms to dehumanize and degrade the enemy. As you said, it makes it easier to use violence against them. 

But then we come home, get on with our lives, and mature a little. Terms once used in anger are set aside.

And under no circumstances do I find it acceptable to rehash terms from wartime and apply them broad-brush to denigrate the people of an entire country, nor a population of legal US immigrants. 

now back to our program, :-)  I am glad we export oil now that the attack has happened, we are in much better shape to absorb it, but countries like china and japan are not.  Saudi Arabia will suffer as well.    The point being this attack may help us more than the attackers had hoped

2 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

now back to our program, :-)  I am glad we export oil now that the attack has happened, we are in much better shape to absorb it, but countries like china and japan are not.  Saudi Arabia will suffer as well.    The point being this attack may help us more than the attackers had hoped

I am not glad whenever I see any actions that will only serve to destabilize the Middle East without producing any lasting results.

1 minute ago, Trigger Mike said:

BTW I guess i had missed anyone insulting legal immigrants on this thread and Im so used to the "R" word that I missed it being used as well.

NObody accused anybody of insulting "illegal immigrants"

1 minute ago, Trigger Mike said:

Yes, I guess I forgot to mention that I mostly agree with your original point. American petroleum independence is a comfortable state of being. Every barrel of oil in the Permian Basin just jumped in value. 

But it I don’t think the US was Iran’s target. Iran and Saudi Arabia have been fighting a proxy war in Yemen since 2015. Iran just escalated the war in a fashion that should make everyone a little more nervous, regardless of energy independence. 

I await the conspiracy theorists claim that this was a US false flag operation. 

3 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Can I quote you on that?:lol:

Only if you mention my tinfoil beret.

I say hit 'em where it counts...right in their Command and Control software network! (We did it when they shot down our drone, rather than risk aircrews and aircraft to take out one S-400 battery which could be replaced in less than an hour! :ph34r: ) Of course, if they attempt any sort of counter hack, or a direct attack against U.S. service people or civilians, then I would sat all bets are off! :angry:

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:38 PM, Trailrider #896 said:

I say hit 'em where it counts...right in their Command and Control software network! (We did it when they shot down our drone, rather than risk aircrews and aircraft to take out one S-400 battery which could be replaced in less than an hour! :ph34r: ) Of course, if they attempt any sort of counter hack, or a direct attack against U.S. service people or civilians, then I would sat all bets are off! :angry:

Knee Jerk Times (aka New York Times) has published an article about how President Trump was "all set to pull the trigger" on an air strike on Iran in retaliation for their shooting down our drone, and how he called it off without even consulting his military advisors. Implication: he wussed out! Odds are someone from Cyber Command told him there was an easier way, and he went with that!

OTOH, he is sending "some troops and equipment" to Saudi Arabia.  Uh oh! Sending more troops into harms way!  Oh, it is possible somebody might get hurt, but I'd bet these are Patriot batteries and support equipment, with maybe some Israeli-American developed "David's Sling" and or "Iron Dome" etc, anti-aircraft (drone) units.  As long as Iran doesn't attack our troops, ships, aircraft, etc., directly, the status quo will probably be maintained.  OTOH, if Iran is successful in developing or even getting close to a nuke, or attempts to use one against anybody, we then offer to send them some fissionable materials....airmail express!  In that case, we could chalk it up to urban renewal... creation of trinitite parking lots! :angry:

Just my opinion but the Iranian government really really wants the US to retaliate.

The average Iranian citizen is pretty unhappy with their Government. Getting the US to attack Iran without them having actually attacked the US directly would give credence to the Iranian government propaganda that we are an evil empire bent on destroying "innocent" Iranian citizens. 

Archived