SASS Wire Forum

Wow, not all Dicks Sporting Goods are anti gun - Yet!

Clay Mosby

Against my better judgement the wife and I went into a Disks Sporting Goods today. She needed a plastic license holder on a lanyard for her bus pass, and they were next door to where we were. After wandering around the 90% clothes sections we discovered the fishing dept in the back corner. And imagine my surprise when against the back wall was a 30' section of wall lined with a double row of rifles and shotguns, along with what appeared to be a decent selection of ammo. Don't recall seeing any handguns, but wasn't really looking. We talked with the salesman for a minute and he said so far the ban has been on a store by store basis. He said not guarantee that they wouldn't eventually take guns out of all the stores, but for now the one in Elk Grove, CA is still selling.

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, I will never know if they have guns in their stores or they do not.

Me either. I have no idea where the nearest one is.

And don’t care.

10 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

It seems what that story fails to mention is that Dicks sold two subsidiaries, Affinity and Blue Sombrero, to Stack Sports, has closed a number of stores, including one where I live that had been opened just over one year, and basically tightened their belt. I can't say that doing so was because of the $150 Million loss from limiting firearms sales, but one has to wonder. If they continue to do well and make a profit, then the market has spoken. As for me, I drove past two Dick's to get to a Dunham's when I needed some gear for my return to the martial arts.

Elk Grove is a fairly conservative community. I lived there for 3 years. 2010-2013.

It seems to me Dicks is being strategic in where they still sell guns. 

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Elk Grove is a fairly conservative community. I lived there for 3 years. 2010-2013.

It seems to me Dicks is being strategic in where they still sell guns. 

The only reason to darken the door of a Dick's would be to purchase an item that is a loss leader.  And even then the discount over price at competing retailers has to be significant.  In Elk Grove for firearms there is Wild Bill's Wild Old West Trading Co. & if it is like Wild Bills 2 in Carson City, NV has a huge selection of firearms in a tiny venue.  I am sure it isn't as diverse as the NV location.  It is in Commifornia so, there will be no "featured" AR's, AK's, H&K 91 or FAL clones plus most of the semi-auto handgun models available in states other than Massachusetts.   A CA resident can't legally acquire the hottest pistol today, the Sig 365, unless you have a parent or child 21 years or older living in another state & they gift it to you.  Of course you and the gifter have to show up at an FFL, hand the gun to the FFL & after 10 work days you can pick it up assuming you pass the CADOJ background check.  I am not sure who has to pay the state transaction fee & FFL's charge for their services.  Does that have to be a gift?

25 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

The only reason to darken the door of a Dick's would be to purchase an item that is a loss leader.  And even then the discount over price at competing retailers has to be significant.  In Elk Grove for firearms there is Wild Bill's Wild Old West Trading Co. & if it is like Wild Bills 2 in Carson City, NV has a huge selection of firearms in a tiny venue.  I am sure it isn't as diverse as the NV location.  It is in Commifornia so, there will be no "featured" AR's, AK's, H&K 91 or FAL clones plus most of the semi-auto handgun models available in states other than Massachusetts.   A CA resident can't legally acquire the hottest pistol today, the Sig 365, unless you have a parent or child 21 years or older living in another state & they gift it to you.  Of course you and the gifter have to show up at an FFL, hand the gun to the FFL & after 10 work days you can pick it up assuming you pass the CADOJ background check.  I am not sure who has to pay the state transaction fee & FFL's charge for their services.  Does that have to be a gift?

I really do not know. This is a question for a California FFL dealer. 

I would never know .

Because I would not even go in for a drink of water 

There's a Dick's at a mall that I go to. I sometimes enter the mall through Dick's or exit there. I usually like to use their bathroom on the way out!! He He

They still have long guns and quite a few. I never asked I just assumed they'll stop selling when they sell all they have.

6 minutes ago, Catlow4697 said:

Dick's Restrooms are very clean because of the lack of customers  Great place to take a dump

I agree!!:lol:

Archived