SASS Wire Forum

Gun confiscation

Trigger Mike

And if I remember correctly, a summary execution of the "dissidents" by Gatling gun AFTER all had been disarmed.

10 minutes ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

I seem to remember something about the British trying to take the guns from the people in 1776. It turned out badly for the British.

I have a feeling history may repeat itself here someday. 

I'm thinking "cold dead fingers". They won't have room to jail even one percent of us! Master Beto is exactly why we have 2A.

The politicians are going about it in a manner that they know will work.  Don't try to do it all at once.  Take a little bit at a time.  

Gun confiscation will never happen in this country unless they abolish the second amendment. Just my thought. I don't see how they could do it lawfully.

47 minutes ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

My big question is how many cops will betray their oaths and side with the govmint! Fed cops and lot of city cops probably will but I think many sheriffs will not.

PF

What are those LEO's going to do when their neighbors target their families? 

Well, not to pull the rug out from under this discourse but I have been hearing discussions like this for over 50 years. I remember when I was a little kid hearing my Dad and his buddies discussing this. 

I hope in another 50 years we, or guys and gals like us, are still discussing this with the same fervor. ;)

And I remember kids taking a .22 on the bus with them to school, because after school they were going home with a friend to go rabbit hunting.

I remember parking my pickup in the school parking lot with a Winchester 94 and an old Stevens SxS in the gun rack in the back window (and not having to lock it).

I don't remember Dad and his buds talking about banned magazines, capacity limits, lists of state-approved firearms, or ANY politician thinking he had the latitude to stand up and say, 'Hell YES, we're coming for your [guns].'

Not to take anything away from what you've said -- your memories are your memories, and all. But I'm not sure I'm ready to relax just because a Californian (or a New Yorker, for that matter), has told me not to worry about gun control.

28 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

And I remember kids taking a .22 on the bus with them to school, because after school they were going home with a friend to go rabbit hunting.

I remember parking my pickup in the school parking lot with a Winchester 94 and an old Stevens SxS in the gun rack in the back window (and not having to lock it).

I don't remember Dad and his buds talking about banned magazines, capacity limits, lists of state-approved firearms, or ANY politician thinking he had the latitude to stand up and say, 'Hell YES, we're coming for your [guns].'

Not to take anything away from what you've said -- your memories are your memories, and all. But I'm not sure I'm ready to relax just because a Californian (or a New Yorker, for that matter), has told me not to worry about gun control.

I did not tell anyone not to worry. 

I did not discuss magazine limits or approved firearms. 

I did not tell anyone to relax.

I do not take kindly to your slight against me because of where I live. I live here because of family. Family comes first. Do you begrudge me that? I don’t expect nor do I want a reply. 

Read what I said and then read the last thing I said and then tell me I inferred any if what you said I inferred.

I also remember some of the things you remember. Kids taking guns to school for hunting and such. Not having to lock doors. Guys openly carrying guns through town. I remember a lot of things. I also remember guys saying they didn’t need to give the NRA money because they were just “trying to get something out of me”. I also remember guys in the gun store talking guns and sports and never discussing politics or even voting, for that matter. And because a lot of people did not pay attention back then we have what we have now. 

Now I am going to work. I’d say more but it wouldn’t be very nice. Happy F....Monday

Just to clarify, I don't believe the, 'kick the door down and take 'em' system will be the model for prying guns out of law-abiding citizens' hands.

I believe it will come as a forced economic decision, likely through some kind insurance requirements.

In a time when health care is a high priority among voters, anti-Constitutionalist legislators could make a 'reasonable' argument that everyone's healthcare could cost less if gun owners could somehow be required to pay higher insurance rates to offset the medical costs of gun violence (a tax or insurance premium?).

The idea would be to put gun owners in the position of 'willingly' giving up guns as a personal economic decision -- pay the ownership costs, or pay for the kids' braces. No violation of the 2nd Amendment there, right?

Our nation has changed greatly from 50 years ago . In some ways it's gotten better, in some ways it's lost something. But the cultural aspects of gun ownership have changed quite a bit.

A few years ago California tried to sell a "tax" to offset the cost of gun related injuries showing up in emergency rooms. One idiot from hollywood was screaming that he tax should be $1.00 per round. The idea was that it would make ammo too expensive to buy, so guns wouldn't be so dangerous. Ammo suppliers made out like bandits as folks stocked up.  Sort of like when the previous prez would come out with something anti-gun and gun sales would skyrocket.

I agree that until now the anti's are trying the incremental approach, a tax here, a bit of legislation or restriction there.  But now I guess the deception is over. Thanks to b. o. and others of the current crop of "hopefuls" are admitting that confiscation, whether legal or not is their ultimate goal.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I did not tell anyone not to worry. 

I did not discuss magazine limits or approved firearms. 

I did not tell anyone to relax.

I do not take kindly to your slight against me because of where I live. I live here because of family. Family comes first. Do you begrudge me that? I don’t expect nor do I want a reply. 

Read what I said and then read the last thing I said and then tell me I inferred any if what you said I inferred.

I also remember some of the things

you remember. Kids taking guns to school for hunting and such. Not having to lock doors. Guys openly carrying guns through town. I remember a lot of things. I also remember guys saying they didn’t need to give the NRA money because they were just “trying to get something out of me”. I also remember guys in the gun store talking guns and sports and never discussing politics or even voting, for that matter. And because a lot of people did not pay attention back then we have what we have now. 

Now I am going to work. I’d say more but it wouldn’t be very nice. Happy F....Monday

Didn't mean you to start your week off with a bowlful of vinegar and road apples. Sure hope your day got better as it went along.

Nor did I say what I said as a slight against you because of where you live. Family first is a good man's principle for living.

But on to the point, let's sort it out a bit.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, not to pull the rug out from under this discourse but I have been hearing discussions like this for over 50 years. I remember when I was a little kid hearing my Dad and his buddies discussing this. 

I hope in another 50 years we, or guys and gals like us, are still discussing this with the same fervor. ;)

Maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say, but, " . . . not to pull the rug out from under this discourse but I have been hearing discussions like this for over 50 years," sounds a lot like, 'It's no big deal. People have been talking about it for 50 years and nothing's ever happened so there's no point talking about it now.' I don't think the way I took it was unreasonable.

There was no slight intended against you, nor really against California for that matter. The reference was to the difference between California (and New York) and most of the rest of the country regarding gun laws. At some point or another, California was likely no more restrictive on guns than the rest of the country. Can't really say that now, can we? Somewhere it changed. And the references to California's infringements were only examples, not quotes.

Anyway, I hope your day got better (and I say that sincerely). 

Incrementalism - anti-gunners have mastered the art.  If they cant physically take them away, they will legislate away your ability to enjoy them.  AR15's are just the "Saturday Night Specials" of the 1960's.  Sadly, there are no real progun champions in our government.  There are plenty of grandstanders - but none that are truly willing to champion gun ownership.

meanwhile - lets legalize some recreational drugs and then use taxpayer funded health care to pay for the consequences - thats a lot better than private gun ownership.

"Brave New world" by Aldous Huxley is looking a lot more like a prophesy than a work of fiction.

1 hour ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Didn't mean you to start your week off with a bowlful of vinegar and road apples. Sure hope your day got better as it went along.

Nor did I say what I said as a slight against you because of where you live. Family first is a good man's principle for living.

But on to the point, let's sort it out a bit.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say, but, " . . . not to pull the rug out from under this discourse but I have been hearing discussions like this for over 50 years," sounds a lot like, 'It's no big deal. People have been talking about it for 50 years and nothing's ever happened so there's no point talking about it now.' I don't think the way I took it was unreasonable.

There was no slight intended against you, nor really against California for that matter. The reference was to the difference between California (and New York) and most of the rest of the country regarding gun laws. At some point or another, California was likely no more restrictive on guns than the rest of the country. Can't really say that now, can we? Somewhere it changed. And the references to California's infringements were only examples, not quotes.

Anyway, I hope your day got better (and I say that sincerely). 

My apologies form getting snippy. I am sorry.

What I was trying to say was that I have heard these conversations for 50 years.. and I hope to hear them in another 50. We need to be vigilant. 

Whoop...gotta get back to work

Again, sorry for getting snippy. 

4 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

A few years ago California tried to sell a "tax" to offset the cost of gun related injuries showing up in emergency rooms.

Did they determine a percentage of total rounds to be shot per injury?

That would be goo to know so we can know when we are going to shoot someone ahead of time!

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My apologies form getting snippy. I am sorry.

What I was trying to say was that I have heard these conversations for 50 years.. and I hope to hear them in another 50. We need to be vigilant. 

Whoop...gotta get back to work

Again, sorry for getting snippy. 

Apologies not necessary, but thanks. And we're wearing the same yoke when it comes to being vigilant.

Worst thing about tossing things around on a forum -- we could have said exactly the same things over a campfire and nothing more would have come of it than passing the jug.

When or if Guns become outlawed .

Only Outlaws will have guns  .

I already know where and how I stand .

This is a public forum so lets leave it at that . 

Archived