SASS Wire Forum

Need ideas for a AR type rifle for a 501c3 raffle

I am in charge of a raffle item for our Texas South Plains Honor Flight. In the past we have raffled Cowboy type, 1911 45, M1,M14. We would like an AR type firearm for this year that the current gun owner population would like . We need to keep the price below $800. Please reply with ideas. Cal will probably be 223.

Please pass on your ideas.

Thank You Caprock

Look into PSA or Aero Precision. Smith and Wesson, Ruger or Springfield Armory. DPMS, Windham Arms.

All good ARs within that price range.

Does not need to be .223/5.56 either although very popular. If you run across 223 Wylde, that works too. It is a slightly altered chamber size to better accommodate both calibers with better accuracy from both. marketed as a hunting chambering. ;)

300 Blackout caliber is gaining a lot of popularity as well. It is a .30 caliber and probably better suited for medium sized game. Think hogs, deer...

We raffle a firearm every year for the Texas South Plains Honor Flight which is a 501c3 that takes veterans to Washington every year. This year we would like to raffle an AR type rifle and need recommendations. Need to keep the cost below $800. Please pass on your ideas on a firearm. Thank You

Caprock Leatherneck

There are lots of good AR-15 options under $800.00 

Do you have a local firearms dealer or gunsmith that supports the local clubs? Especially Annual and above matches. Go to them with your request and see what they can do for you. Bet they will order you a firearm at or slightly above cost, hold it until the winner is picked, and take care of the transfer. In exchange you put their name on all your raffle advertising. It is a win win for you and the dealer.

There are lots of good AR-15 options under $800.00 

Do you have a local firearms dealer or gunsmith that supports the local clubs? Especially Annual and above matches. Go to them with your request and see what they can do for you. Bet they will order you a firearm at or slightly above cost, hold it until the winner is picked, and take care of the transfer. In exchange you put their name on all your raffle advertising. It is a win win for you and the dealer.

Another option a club I know is contemplating is providing the winner with a gift certificate not to exceed a set dollar amount that they can use to buy the firearm of their choice. The certificate is not redeemable for cash and is only good at the LGS.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Another option a club I know is contemplating is providing the winner with a gift certificate not to exceed a set dollar amount that they can use to buy the firearm of their choice. The certificate is not redeemable for cash and is only good at the LGS.

I like that idea.

I have absolutely no use for an AR of any type, or any caliber.

But I might possibly buy a raffle ticket on a "firearm of your choice, value not to exceed $800".

If at all possible arrange for all firearms to be picked up directly from the dealer. Warranty paperwork is much easier. No club members can be accused of straw purchases and the club is shielded from liability. 

I am am a member of a club that gives away several firearms every year to club members and our LGS is happy to assist us every year in exchange for the free advertising. 

We held a raffle for a Radical Firearms AR two weeks ago. Mad in Texas.

Our lgs gives us a good price on our raffle guns each year.

https://www.radicalfirearms.com/

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

If at all possible arrange for all firearms to be picked up directly from the dealer. Warranty paperwork is much easier. No club members can be accused of straw purchases and the club is shielded from liability. 

I am am a member of a club that gives away several firearms every year to club members and our LGS is happy to assist us every year in exchange for the free advertising. 

Exactly. Good advice. An organization to which I belong recently had a very large banquet involving lots of raffled firearms. Not a single one of those firearms was given away at the raffle but would be transferred from the the event supporting FFL to the buyer or transferred to the buyers FFL at their convenience, at a later date. Everything above water and obviously legal and no strings attached and no Gray areas.

That said I don't see why you could not have an FFL on site to do the transfer if that is an option.

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

... I might possibly buy a raffle ticket on a "firearm of your choice, value not to exceed $800".

Same here. :D

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Exactly. Good advice. An organization to which I belong recently had a very large banquet involving lots of raffled firearms. Not a single one of those firearms was given away at the raffle but would be transferred from the the event supporting FFL to the buyer or transferred to the buyers FFL at their convenience, at a later date. Everything above water and obviously legal and no strings attached and no Gray areas.

That said I don't see why you could not have an FFL on site to do the transfer if that is an option.

We sell tickets for our raffle at events on Memorial Day, Independence Day Festival, and the local gun show. At the drawing in Sep no one is present but our post members. The winners are notified by phone the next morning. They pick up the prize at our LHS. Sometimes they’re out of state and shipping has to be arranged.

If it's a Colt rifle I would recommend getting one marked HBAR.  I don't know about other states, but Maryland has a specific exception for certain HBAR AR-15 rifles from its ban on semi-auto firearms.  Check in your state statutes to see if there is a similar exception.

If you have time & don't mind building the lower, PSA, has a "No Beto" multi caliber (not marked with caliber) stripper lower for $50.  There is a 8-9 week lead time.  Palmeto State Armory are known for their political themed lower receivers.

Archived