SASS Wire Forum

What Could Go Wrong With This?

Subdeacon Joe

One of our A&Ps brought a blow gun and some darts. Used the air hose instead of his lungs.

I brought out my silenced Ruger Mark II with the Crimson Trace grips. Was using Super Colibri.

I would get full penetration, and we would hear the bullet hit the roof of the hanger, but it never penetrated. We found them the next day doing FOD-walk.

I got three. Then those feathered rats figured out what the little red light meant. As soon as the red dot hit the bird, he'd take flight.

I tried again a week later, but they remembered. As soon as they saw the light, they were gone.

Back in the 1960s myself and one other guy from the ROTC rifle team got hired by the local University.  The pigeon feathers and poop were playing havoc with the AC systems.  They gave us each a pellet rifle, a big box of pellets and a burlap sack and told us to go and kill pigeons.  We killed bags of those things every weekend.  A bunch of local hippies took them at the end of each day and ate them.  (Squab.)  We were doing great until one weekend one beady eyed liberal professor saw us and went ballistic.  He managed to get the program stopped and we lost our source of income and the hippies lost a source of food.

We used one of these for starling and pigeon control around the grain receiving facility.
Powered by canned Freon, it would shoot almost a solid stream of BBs.

Worked fine until one of the guys hooked it up to the air line used to blow chaff away from the wheat pit.

Forgot to use a regulator and blew the thing up!

drozd blackbird 1.jpg

17 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

We used one of these for starling and pigeon control around the grain receiving facility.
Powered by canned Freon, it would shoot almost a solid stream of BBs.

Worked fine until one of the guys hooked it up to the air line used to blow chaff away from the wheat pit.

Forgot to use a regulator and blew the thing up!

drozd blackbird 1.jpg

I know the guy who invented those. He got wealthy.

18 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

As a Grunt I have no idea what FOD means,

Airedale’s can’t spell...they meant FOOD. They get to eat anything they find on the ground. Obviously their commander understands this and is ordering them to pick up the pellets or their comrades might see the shiny pretty pellets and eat them. :P:lol:

(Read this as mock anger and exasperation...you know, like Bill Murray in a rant...thank you)

Airsoft gun’s? What are they, a bunch of pansies? Airsoft gun’s don’t kill pigeons! Flippin’ Sissies! “Attention Hunters”? Really? They think they are “HUNTERS”? Maybe they need a kiddie pool to fish in too! Or maybe after nappy-time they get whittle goldfish num-nums as a tweat for not hurting the whittle birdies!

Holy Crap What’s This Military Come Too! :lol:

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

As a Grunt I have no idea what FOD means,

Foreign Object Damage.

One does not want Foreign Objects to get into the aircraft engine and cause Damage, making said aircraft fall down go boom.

Every morning at the hanger we would do a FOD-walk. Picking up anything and everything.

I wonder how many hours it will take to find all those little plastic pellets? :o :o

IIRC the Marines lost a Harrier because someone up the chain of command decided that using a BB gun to get rid of the birds in the hanger was a good idea. One BB found its way into the intake of one of the Harriers parked in the hanger and evaded detection during all the preflight checks. As the jet cleared the runway during a normal take off roll the engine failed and the Harrier crashed a short distance past the end of the runway.

Once the cause had been determined there was a priority safety bulletin informing all Navy and Marine Corps aviation units banning the use of BB guns and pellet rifles inside hangers or on the flight line.

18 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I wonder how many hours it will take to find all those little plastic pellets? :o :o

IIRC the Marines lost a Harrier because someone up the chain of command decided that using a BB gun to get rid of the birds in the hanger was a good idea. One BB found its way into the intake of one of the Harriers parked in the hanger and evaded detection during all the preflight checks. As the jet cleared the runway during a normal take off roll the engine failed and the Harrier crashed a short distance past the end of the runway.

Once the cause had been determined there was a priority safety bulletin informing all Navy and Marine Corps aviation units banning the use of BB guns and pellet rifles inside hangers or on the flight line.

A “BB”? I just have a hard time believing this. If they were the case they would have to sweep the runways every day for sand and rock debris from the concrete, wouldn’t they?

But, I do not know much about planes and engines. This just sounds weird to me. 

Pat, he didn't say the Harrier "sucked up" a BB. Said there was a BB in the engine.

I agree - I don't believe that little steel ball could have been sucked up off the deck some three or four feet in the air into the intake.

But it could have landed there from a ricochet.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

A “BB”? I just have a hard time believing this. If they were the case they would have to sweep the runways every day for sand and rock debris from the concrete, wouldn’t they?

But, I do not know much about planes and engines. This just sounds weird to me. 

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Pat, he didn't say the Harrier "sucked up" a BB. Said there was a BB in the engine.

I agree - I don't believe that little steel ball could have been sucked up off the deck some three or four feet in the air into the intake.

Alpo is correct. 

BB ricocheted into the engine. As part of every preflight inspection a person crawls down the intake and inspects the front of the compressor for damage and FOD. Unfortunately the BB was not discovered and it caused the engine to fail. 

At full power, a jet engine can create a strong enough vortex to easily pick up objects near the intake if the aircraft is not moving. However even a small amount of forward movement is enough to disrupt the vortex. 

There is an airline in Canada that flies supplies to mines accessible only by air. They fly 717 or 727 aircraft and utilize gravel runways. To prevent the engines from picking up FOD they have a probe that disrupts the vortex. They also have special rock deflectors on the landing gear to protect the fuselage from rocks kicked up by the tires. 

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Alpo is correct. 

BB ricocheted into the engine. As part of every preflight inspection a person crawls down the intake and inspects the front of the compressor for damage and FOD. Unfortunately the BB was not discovered and it caused the engine to fail. 

At full power, a jet engine can create a strong enough vortex to easily pick up objects near the intake if the aircraft is not moving. However even a small amount of forward movement is enough to disrupt the vortex. 

There is an airline in Canada that flies supplies to mines accessible only by air. They fly 717 or 727 aircraft and utilize gravel runways. To prevent the engines from picking up FOD they have a probe that disrupts the vortex. They also have special rock deflectors on the landing gear to protect the fuselage from rocks kicked up by the tires. 

Okay. Now I get it. Thanks. :D

I never worked on or around planes...I worked on the stuff that was for shooting planes down. Haha.:lol:

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Okay. Now I get it. Thanks. :D

I never worked on or around planes...I worked on the stuff that was for shooting planes down. Haha.:lol:

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Nope. M14’s, Remington 870s, 1911s...:D

Missiles...

The aircraft and equipment I worked on specalized making anti-aircraft weapons (missiles ;)) ineffective so that our friends in the sky could turn surface ships into one way submarines. :P :lol:

3 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The aircraft and equipment I worked on specalized making anti-aircraft weapons (missiles ;)) ineffective so that our friends in the sky could turn surface ships into one way submarines. :P :lol:

Not American ships :D

So I was safe...Neener, neener, neeeeeennnner. :P

:lol:

Archived