SASS Wire Forum

CCW Discussion, Suggestions, Bragging, Complaining, Discourse, Etcetera...

Pat Riot

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I was talking to the LGS manager the other day and he asked how that Sig P938 I bought was working out. I’m afraid I sounded like a Sig salesman for the next 5 minutes. :D

If I had to be limited to 3 ccw guns it would be my Colt 1911, S&W 442, and the P938.

I'll second UB's admiration of the Sig Sauer P938 in 9mm.  Shortly after I got my Sig P238 in 380 Auto, I was at the range proudly showing off my P238 to a friend.  My friend pulled out his P938.  The P938 was just slightly larger than my P238 and I was surprised that there wasn't all that much more recoil from the 9mm.  The P938 is quite manageable and if I had it to do over again, I would have got a P938 instead of the P238. 

Now don't get me wrong, I do like my P238 with it's small package, easy to rack slide, highly visible night sights, reliability, and general good looks.  If one is wanting a great little 380 Auto, you can't do any better than the Sig Sauer P238. 

Sig Sauer Model P238 (SAS) in 380 Auto

N2XGvh.jpg

mJH4lP.jpg

On 9/14/2019 at 11:28 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, I just cleaned both Remingtons, the R51 and the RM380. They are both going to the LGS for consignment selling. They are both a PITA to get back together. The RM380 is a minor pain. The R51 is a major pain. I don’t need the hassle. 

I am am headed to the range with my Glock for some fun. While there I plan to rent an S&W Shield and give it a go. 

Sounds like the R51 is definitely a legitimate grandson of my M51 made in 1923.  It's a .32 and has more parts than an Edsel.  Most of those parts are bordering on microscopic.

It's the most ergonomic (before the term became widely used and misused) gun I've ever owned, rating well above the Luger, Nambu, and Ruger Standard .22.  The sights are so small as to be useless, but the little gun is so well designed that sights inside of about 20 yards are nearly unnecessary.

It shoot everything I've ever put through it and I love the gun except for it being so difficult to maintain.  There was a .380 version that would be a better carry piece and suffers from the exact same issues.  They are virtually the same size and aside from the caliber identical.

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

As far as the myth of getting hammered for handloads, it’s pretty much a myth but defense trainers like it.

I suspect maybe it comes from police officers using non issued ammo in their duty weapons, like when we were using lead rn and hollow points came out back in the 70s. The media called them, “...dum dums, banned by the Geneva Convention!” 

I wouldn't worry about that either. But ignorance is  bigger than ever now. One nationally-syndicated advice columnist recently expressed shock that a writer's daughter had purchased a handgun and had hollow point bullets, which, the columnist said, were 'explosive bullets'.

And two weeks ago in my town a city councilman rued the sale of hollow-point ammunition, which he averred was "specifically designed to penetrate body armor".

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Sounds like the R51 is definitely a legitimate grandson of my M51 made in 1923.  It's a .32 and has more parts than an Edsel.  Most of those parts are bordering on microscopic.

It's the most ergonomic (before the term became widely used and misused) gun I've ever owned, rating well above the Luger, Nambu, and Ruger Standard .22.  The sights are so small as to be useless, but the little gun is so well designed that sights inside of about 20 yards are nearly unnecessary.

It shoot everything I've ever put through it and I love the gun except for it being so difficult to maintain.  There was a .380 version that would be a better carry piece and suffers from the exact same issues.  They are virtually the same size and aside from the caliber identical.

I just shot my R51. It’s 9mm. These new ones are very ammo finicky in regards to feeding the rounds into the chamber. It’s funny (suspiciously so) that pretty much the only hollow point that feeds well is the Remington Ultimate Defense ammunition. That really does not bother me because the gun is darned accurate with that ammo. That and all FMJ rounds.

It’s a nice gun but not a CCW gun for me. I think this one will be my garage gun. I have the perfect little safe location for it in my work bench.

Recently picked up a .380 Back Up made by OMC before they became AMT.  It's a tiny little stainless 5 shot pocket pistol that has none of the problems later associated with the AMT guns.  Its only faults are the weight of the little beastie(about like a school bus in your pocket) preventing it from being a practical every day carry gun, and the butt magazine release.  I hate those.

I'll probably keep it for giggles and fun, though.  It's a hoot to shoot and the weight keeps the recoil downright pleasant.  It's even surprisingly accurate inside living 30-35 feet.

On September 14, 2019 at 11:17 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Here in California you can only list 3 guns, by serial number, tat you can or will carry as a concealed weapon.

Sneaky way for the State to compile a partial firearm database.

31 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Sneaky way for the State to compile a partial firearm database.

The state already has the serial numbers because you can’t list a gun for CCW that wasn’t previously registered. 

50 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The state already has the serial numbers because you can’t list a gun for CCW that wasn’t previously registered. 

But the California DOJ site says there is no statewide registration!

10 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

But the California DOJ site says there is no statewide registration!

Oh, I forgot. It’s not registration. It’s firearms ownership documentation. :blink:

On 9/14/2019 at 11:24 AM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

In Fresno County, for instance, you are limited to three handguns.  In Madera County, immediately to the north of Fresno and where I live, you can start with five and add more for a total of ten.  Qualifying is by type; if you qualify with a specific revolver, you may add other revolvers without qualifying.  Same with pistols.  If you live in San Francisco, unless you're a crook, a celebrity, or named Feinstein,  fuggedaboutit.  -_-

Hardpan,

Unless this has changed in the last 2 years, Fresno County authorizes 4 handguns on a CCW.  I'm trying to convince the wife that we should move to Madera County. 

here in WV we enjoy constitutional carry, my edc is now a taurus curve 380 with the veridian laser and a +1 mag extension ( FYI , the magguts +1 kit for the ruger lcp works in the taurus curve!).... i used to carry a kel tec p3at with a TR1 auto on laser but ive retired it to the curve. when i open carry (not very often) i carry my iver johnson 1911 45acp "BBQ gun". when i strong side CCW i carry my ruger sr40c...

those are my regularly carried guns, but ive carried everything i own from my cap and ball 22 revolver (naa super companion) to my 1847 walker in 45 colt... ive even carried both my hi point 45's!!!

3 hours ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

Hardpan,

Unless this has changed in the last 2 years, Fresno County authorizes 4 handguns on a CCW.  I'm trying to convince the wife that we should move to Madera County. 

I'm told it's three... but darned if I can verify it.

Madera County?  Come on aboard!  We could use some good people on this side of the river!  :lol:

Considering anyplace in particular?   :)

I was rereading the requirements for CCW here in my county. It states that one must shoot their CCW guns in a qualification test. It says:

“Effective immediately, weapon qualification will consist of shooting a complete 72 round qualification (24 rounds at 3 yards, 24 rounds at 5 yards, and 24 rounds at 7 yards) with the first handgun. All subsequent handgun qualifications will consist of a 20 round qualification (10 rounds at 5 yards, and 10 rounds at 7 yards). A passing score of 70% will remain unchanged. This will be applied to both initial and renewal qualifications.”

I have no issue with doing this but the 70% score bothers me. I need to know what targets they are using and how do they assess the score? One of the ranges I am a member has a silhouette target that has scoring zones in each vital area within the target. It would be pretty cool if this same target is the one used for testing. I need to research this a bit. 

In Ohio we don't have to say what we carry and also we can carry as many as we want!! The Wild Midwest!!:P

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I was rereading the requirements for CCW here in my county. It states that one must shoot their CCW guns in a qualification test. It says:

“Effective immediately, weapon qualification will consist of shooting a complete 72 round qualification (24 rounds at 3 yards, 24 rounds at 5 yards, and 24 rounds at 7 yards) with the first handgun. All subsequent handgun qualifications will consist of a 20 round qualification (10 rounds at 5 yards, and 10 rounds at 7 yards). A passing score of 70% will remain unchanged. This will be applied to both initial and renewal qualifications.”

I have no issue with doing this but the 70% score bothers me. I need to know what targets they are using and how do they assess the score? One of the ranges I am a member has a silhouette target that has scoring zones in each vital area within the target. It would be pretty cool if this same target is the one used for testing. I need to research this a bit. 

When I was a cop our qualification course was 48 rounds. Which they eventually realized wasn't realistic. It was cut in half and included immediate action drills.

18 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

72-round qual seems ridiculous to me. Quite apart from the issue of qualification requirements in general.

Yep, that’s what it is. I believe when I went for my CCW in NC we fired something like 24 rounds at 10 yards or something like that.

I really don’t mind having to shoot for a qualification but I am going to have to make some calls to see if I can find out what targets they use. 

72 rounds out of my 442 will be interesting if I have to shoot the self defense rounds I plan to carry. At $30 for 20 rounds of Hydra-Shok that’s a tidy sum for ammo. If I can use my favorite store bought FMJ rounds that will sting a little less.

Here in increasingly leftist WA we still have very relaxed CCW so far. Shall issue, no mandatory training or qualification, and no listing what guns you can carry with your CCW. My three CCW guns are as follows: a .380 Ruger LCP for when I gotta go deep, a 9mm SIG P365 for nearly all other occasions, and any one of my 1911s for those times when I am able and I just want to. The rest of my handguns stay in the safe if they're not going to the range.

On 9/14/2019 at 9:16 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Howdy,

First, let me start with this:

California, Canada, Australia, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Etcetera, Etc., etc. ALL SUCK in regards to gun control and CCW restrictions. If your input here is to brag about how great you have it and to belittle those of us that have to put up with gun control go somewhere else with your comments. 

Okay, okay...it’s okay to bash these places a little. Just don’t get all puffy chested about it...;)

Now starts the thread:           

Okay, I'll play nice

I would strongly consider the S&W Model 60 as one of your listed carry guns.  Small, light, reliable to a fault and fairly corrosion resistant.  While I am not restricted as to what I carry, I have a S&W Model 36 that I carry more than anything else, a 1911R1, a 1911 Compact RIA that with a set of sights and a different trigger is one of my favorite guns.  I have others that are passable carry guns, reliable defensive weapons etc, but the Model 36 points naturally.  I also have right wrist issues as a result of 3 different breaks over the years and arthritis.

Pat,

I would hope that they would qualify you with the same targets the police have to qualify with, but with that state who knows.

My current carry is a Sig P320C with an extended mag because my hands fit real nice.  I use external kydex(sp?) on my hip with a slight kant because I like to wear Hawaiian shirts open as outer wear and I use the same holster for practical pistol. Although I'm looking for a nice Left Handed holster for my Glock 45 that might work both ways now as well.

If I ever decide to open carry I'll go with my 1911 in my wild bunch rig because while the 1911 itself may not be a BBQ piece the rig is pretty snazzy...

I have been thinking about getting something smaller for a pocket carry that used a crimson trace either in 9mm or 38spl as I don't currently carry when at work as it's not practical with my current setups...

1 hour ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Okay, I'll play nice

I would strongly consider the S&W Model 60 as one of your listed carry guns.  Small, light, reliable to a fault and fairly corrosion resistant.  While I am not restricted as to what I carry, I have a S&W Model 36 that I carry more than anything else, a 1911R1, a 1911 Compact RIA that with a set of sights and a different trigger is one of my favorite guns.  I have others that are passable carry guns, reliable defensive weapons etc, but the Model 36 points naturally.  I also have right wrist issues as a result of 3 different breaks over the years and arthritis.

Thank you. I am actually considering the Model 60 Pro as one of my guns. Main reason being is I need to get clarification on whether or not I can use “off roster” guns as carry guns. That depends on the Sheriffs office policy. 

I also have a model 36 that I like very much. 

Since you also have wrist issues I recommend you try the Federal Hydra Shok .38 Special “Low Recoil” 110 grain rounds. They are pretty accurate from my 442 and my 60 and the recoil is definitely lighter than any other defensive ammunition I have tried. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Thank you. I am actually considering the Model 60 Pro as one of my guns. Main reason being is I need to get clarification on whether or not I can use “off roster” guns as carry guns. That depends on the Sheriffs office policy. 

Pat,

In Fresno County, we qualify using a silhouette target.

Also, I've carried my off-roster XDS 4.0 without an issue from my issuing agency. But, like you said, it could be dependent upon your particular Sheriff. Keep me posted, I'm interested in what you find out.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:17 AM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Las Vegas has different ccw regs as I recall.

I believe it was the 2015 legislative session that state preemption passed which mooted the Lost Wages handgun registration requirement.  Repealing preemption was one of the wet dreams of the anti 2A legislators & governor voted in Nov 2018 that didn't survive the 2019 session.

Prior to the 2013 legislative session you could only carry the type of firearm you qualified with, revolver or pistol.  That restriction as well as the breaking the law if the concealed handgun becoming unconcealed was removed in 2013.  Of course you could carry open any firearm without a CC license.

Thanks,  but at the moment, I feel no need for low recoil stuff. . .I have only shot sparingly since the break last year which was the worst of the injuries.  My full bore .38-40 loads are still very manageable, just can't shoot as many in a day without some discomfort.  I'm still fine for match quantities though.

For carry when clothed in shorts, I like my LCP II. I also picked up a Springfield 911. 911 Alpha

Wearing pants, I really like the S&W Shield pistols in 9mm and 45 acp. Both are soft shooting and accurate.

Boy am I pizzed! Upon doing a complete teardown cleaning of my Glock 45 I discovered that the front sight on the Tru-Glo TFX $150 sight system (to be fair I paid $120) IS LOOSE! 

It turned out the screw that came with it, that is super short, is too freakin’ long.

I had to install the stock sight. 

I will I’ll be emailing Tru-Glo later. Nothing on their package says this won’t work on a Gen 5. To add insult to injury since the sight was vibrating around it damaged my finish.

I need to calm down. I am meeting my SIL at the range for some target shooting with his new Glock 19X. I gifted it to him.

Later

Update: I received a response from Tru-Glo. They explained that I should have used the shorter screw with the front sight. When I explained that no other screws came with the package they informed me that a new screw was enroute.

Wow, I sent them an email YESTERDAY and this morning I have a fix being sent in the mail. If this screw fixes the issue I will be very happy and I will be a return customer.

Decided to dump both my Remingtons and bought a Glock 26 today. I got bupkiss for the Remingtons but that’s okay. 

I bought a Glock 26 Gen 3 so it has the finger grooves, for now. I pick it up in 10 days. (Thanks government for my freedom :angry:)

I decided since you are scored on your CCW test when you shoot that I should have guns I know very well and shoot well.

I came very close to buying an S&W Shield. I rented a Shield and a G26 twice to compare them. I like the Glock better but the Shield is a very nice gun.

So On October 8th I will pick up my new Glock and take it to the range. Love those licorice guns. ;)

I tried to check out the R51... but it seems that's another one we're not allowed to buy in california.   <_<

Archived