SASS Wire Forum

Who is the best Winchester 97 Guru?

Idaho Bob

I’m looking for a smith that really knows 97’s. I have a recently acquired 97 takedown that has a slough of issues.  Main issue being that the action won’t lock when both barrel and mag tube are attached (but will lock if I remove the slide spring). The first issue I noticed was that the original mag tube was bent and wouldn’t feed shells. So a replacement was purchased and installed  today. The mag tube attaches smoothly into the receiver when the barrel is off, but with the barrel on, it requires a wrench. I think the takedown receiver extension may also be bent and causing a bind? 

I took it all down and gave it thorough cleaning and checked for broken parts but none were discovered. 

Time to send this one off to a pro as I don’t want to replace any parts unnecessarily.  Who is the go-to 97 smith? Thanks for the help! 

-IB 

8A9A135F-EBEE-4624-95D9-C7A1AD29FE6A.jpeg

Y0-Ho-De-O Idaho Bob:  A great 97 fixer-upper Is Tom aka Squibber of Dusty Bunch old west shooters .

Contact there for Tom is =(520) 568-2852.. He is the Huckleberry for 1897 shotguns.

Webb site is Dustybunch old west Shooters. Casa Grande, Az

Great cowboy, very helpful. Tell him  the Jackrabbit sent you.

Jackrabbit Joe #414

I haven't had to opportunity to try out a Squibber 97.

But, my Go-To-Pro is Curly Bill Kelly in Harriman, TN.

Another popular 97 guru is Outlaw Gambler. 

..........Widder

Outlaw Gambler is the man to talk to about '97's.  They are his specialty, if he can't fix them they cannot be fixed.

If you still have the gun, does the mag tube turn inside the barrel band? If not, remove the barrel band screws and try to turn it. Sometimes when a replacement mag tube is installed it will not turn once the barrel band is tightened.  

Archived