SASS Wire Forum

Colt Barrel Issue

Bart Slade

Question on open top Colts-

How do you get the barrel off if it’s super tight?  

Ive got a new Uberti Walker (through Dixie Gun Works) and the barrel basically refuses to come off.  I’ve tried the “loading lever against the cylinder” trick, and I’ve marred up my cylinder face.  

Only way I can get it out it to work a wedge between the barrel assembly and the cylinder face, and I’m marring up the barrel assembly doing that.

and yeah, my wedge is out

any ideas on what to do, and how to loosen this up?  

You need to figure out and fix what is binding.  Is the arbor oversized?  Are there burs in the arbor hole?  Are the pins misaligned?  Forcing it on and off if it is too tight is not a good solution and will further damage the gun.  My advice is to fix the base problem.  Since the gun is new, I would see about getting it fixed under warranty.  

14 hours ago, Bart Slade said:

Question on open top Colts-

How do you get the barrel off if it’s super tight?  

Ive got a new Uberti Walker (through Dixie Gun Works) and the barrel basically refuses to come off.  I’ve tried the “loading lever against the cylinder” trick, and I’ve marred up my cylinder face.  

Only way I can get it out it to work a wedge between the barrel assembly and the cylinder face, and I’m marring up the barrel assembly doing that.

and yeah, my wedge is out

any ideas on what to do, and how to loosen this up?  

It sounds like you have some burs on the arbor probably around the wedge area. Are you moving it enough to clear the alignment pins there in the front of the frame? If you can clear them clamp the barrel in a padded vise. Then turn the frame clockwise by the grip. This should help knock those burs down enough to get it on off. Once you get it off you will be able to see where it was hanging.

Flood the exposed parts of the arbor and wedge opening with a good penetrating oil and let it soak for a few hours.  Then gently warm the metal with a hair dryer (not a flame or heat gun), then chill the metal with ice water.  Dry and repeat: oil soak, warm, then chill.  You are trying to pump the oil down between the parts by capillary action, gently expanding and contracting the joint with temperatures.  Continue until you can wiggle it apart with your hands or give up in frustration.

Trying to get a replacement from Dixie, if they will take this one back, is probably your best option,  but if you are stuck with this one try the “hot/cold “ treatment.  I have freed up some badly frozen joints this way. Patience...it may take several days.

You need a two piece spring clothes pin.  Take it apart and turn it back to back so the "wedges" are together between the cylinder face and the barrel lug.  Set one end of your set on the bench and whack the other one with a mallet.  Should spread them apart. 

Archived